Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, the feed ramp on the left, your G3, is exactly like mine was.

Until I extensively, heavily polished up the feed ramp, my G3 TORO had repeatable failures with ball ammo. Two different types were tested. The areas where the G3 feed ramp funnel inward and upward, as seen on your photo, met the chamber and at that specific point the chamfering wasn't there on the circumference of the chamber mouth. This caused the cases to catch badly, there.

I guess, for now, we're back toTaurus' "If you get a good one" days, and that's kind of a bummer. I also had weak mag springs. MecGar wanted nothing to do with it, and Taurus had already gotten the gun back in Bainbridge once. No one was going to replace the two mags that came with it, and the two spares I purchased. Expensive lesson.

·
Registered
361 Posts
O P : The barrel shown on the right seems to have a much greater chamfer on the chamber mouth than the one on the left ( in addition to different geometry on the feed-ramp).

Perhaps a gentle polish and rounding of the chamfer would be in order for the one on the left? That's a touch I give all my semioautos, and it seems to limit, if not eliminate entirely, any failure to feed for case hang-up reasons. The mouths of some factory-new cases seem to have a pronounced square edge, and are prone to stoppages at that point if they do not go perfectly up the feed ramp.
What you describe, is exactly what I did to my G3 to get it at least running. You hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: AndyG3

·
Registered
361 Posts
I also noticed the much narrower chamfer on the G3 compared to the G3C. My G3 is like that and has the FTF problems. I've always suspected that was part of the problem. It's back in Bainbridge for the second time. I sure hope that they fix it this time. Maybe a new barrel if I'm lucky. If Taurus does have an updated barrel I wish they would admit to it and make it available for replacements.
Let us know how this goes. I hope they do fix it. Email then regarding the barrel feed ramp and that it's a known, growing issue on internet sites. Send the pics

·
Registered
361 Posts
Update Was told today that the repair is completed already! First the good. They repaired it in only one day after receiving it. WOW 5 stars to Taurus⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ They ran 30 rounds of 147 Gold Dot and supposedly no failures. Big improvement. Now for the not so good. The only repair was to adjust the trigger bar. No mention about the barrel or ramp. I don't understand what that has to do with FTFs. Can one of you experienced members explain that to me?

I also asked tech support if the G3 barrel had been updated. She checked with someone and said no. :(

I will post a range report once I get it back and am able to get there.
That's exactly what they stated they did to my G3. I asked around here and another forum as to how the trigger bar could affect function. I didn't trust that repair and went to work myself. I then found the major culprit of the FTF with FMJ ammo. Feed ramp chamber mouth chamfer was not finished or refined and the case would catch there. Should I have test fired it after getting it back from Taurus? Maybe. I had already sunk 500 rounds into it, and I didn't want to go for yet another range trip and chance it. I did my work on the barrel, and it ran over 200 rounds of FMJ just fine. Also ran 50 JHPs with one nosedive and a tap on the mag got it right into battery. However, even with it finally running better, I was done. It's gone. I should have let it go a lot earlier. They offered to take it at 250 round count, but I suggested running another couple hundred. They even offered to pay shipping that first offer, too. Should have just let them have it.

I hope the adjustment to trigger bar actually works. Let us know if you're gonna take it out and run it after their repair.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Did you ever get any explanation as to how the trigger bar might cause jams? The only thing close that I've found so far is a Youtube explaining a known problem with G3s misaligned trigger bar causing slides to rub and stick. They did not mention FTF being a result of this though.
No, never got any definitive answers. Take yours out when you get it back, and see if she's working. 🤷

·
Registered
361 Posts
As the old saying Goes if you cant dazzle them with Brillance, baffle them with BS, the trigger bar answer seems to be BS for a Feeding issue, IMHO. I would clean and open the Ramp up and be done with it, then a good polish , come on Man !!! learn to fix you're own guns!!! Be your own Gunsmith!!!
What you described was my reaction, and exactly what I ended up doing. I polished up and opened up the feed ramp a bit and it did run reasonably well after that.

I think this "adjusting the trigger bar" thing, is just a way they can put some corrective action on the paper instead of "unable to replicate." Companies know that customers don't like warranty responses of "we didn't do anything." I figure for as cheap as they're selling barrels, they could just slap a new barrel into these guns coming in and say "replaced barrel." People would probably have a lot more faith in that whether it realistically fixed it or not.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Polishing the feed ramp is good, and you just gotta know how to do it and not over do it. I find a Dremel hard felt pad tip and mother's mag does it nicely. Takes a minute, and that's what you want. I still haven't had a chance to take the replacement GX4 out. I haven't polished anything up. I figure I'll take it to the range range see how it does. It seems to feed things well. I had one nose dive out of a lot of hand cycling, so hopefully she runs.

I think they're having an issue with either bad magazine springs, or the springs they're using simply aren't quite strong enough. My G3 springs would get sluggish when loading the 13th, 14th, and 15th round. That's where it would nose dive them upon racking the slide, first or second round into the gun. Live fire and hand cycling. I might order some MecGar springs from Ghost customs, and trim them to a custom length and put them in the GX4. The P365's 10 round mag springs are EVIL tight loading the final round, for the first 500 rounds, and those things don't miss a beat. The GX4 is kinda easy to load the 11th round, and that's not good.

However, my Caniks are very easy to load the last round, and they function beautifully. Eat anything and have Glock like reliability.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My LGS and their gunsmith confirmed that the trigger bar has nothing to do with FTF.
I completely figured that, and agree. I think it's BS. Too bad they don't at least throw a cheaper part in there, say a new RSA. That way people could have at least a little faith in it. Well, I hope OP gets the gun out there, soon, and I hope she runs well. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I see your point, and to a veteran gun owner who knows what they're getting into, that may make sense. I don't have major issue with working on and modifying stuff. However, the G3 was just a mess, and I did get it working. I think the issue is changing designs that were previously working for lower production costs. They reduced costs some more, and changed the barrel finish, I guess.

Problem with it is, many people are going to buy an inexpensive gun, not really knowing the ins and outs of it. Additionally, most of those people will probably just buy it, shoot it once, throw it in a drawer. Now they have a gun, in their mind. Perhaps that is what Taurus is aiming for, and guns like the G3C and G3 can fulfill that role. The GX4, on the other hand, is a dedicated CCW design. That needs to be pretty spot on reliable, period. Even the G2C and G3C are very popular CCW guns.

I guess I have a hard time reconciling the fact that the PT 111 G2 and G2C were pretty stout reliable guns. They changed the magazine spring design from G2C to G3C, and barrel finish method. It has just resulted in an overall less reliable gun/design than it used to be.

I'm going to order the Wolff P365 springs today. Just in case the GX4 starts to poop the bed due to springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts