Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my G2C alot.
It's not perfect, but it has a great form factor.

Smith & Wesson is capturing some market share with their 380EZ, but it only holds 8 in the magazine.

Wouldn't it be awesome to chamber the G2C in 380?

Think about how many double stack 380's are out there... you can count them on 1 hand and still have fingers left over.

SCCY keeps promising the CPX-3 ... but only 10 rounds and more like a pocket gun.

·
Super Moderator
38,007 Posts
I moved your post to start a new thread rather than having it tagged on to a three year old thread. Interesting suggestion I think, but I am not sure what is gained? The magazine would still probably only hold twelve and the recoil on the gun in 9mm is not difficult at all to my mind.

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I want one! But there's a reason there are few double-stack locked-breech .380's. They don't sell well. Taurus has experience with this...I have one of their PT638's. They discontinued that one pretty quickly, it wasn't very popular...until it was discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
38,007 Posts
It would not sell. Most people would opt for the 9mm. Ammo is cheaper, more powerful, etc. Sig made the 250 in 380, it sold poorly and was not transitioned to the 320.

I don't purchase factory ammo, but it seems to me that the price of 380 Auto has come down over the last 5 years or so...if anyone else who does by factory can verify this? With the increased demand for it with greater number of mouse guns it might follow that it would get to be less expensive?

·
Super Moderator
38,007 Posts
EH ! Quite content with our G2C and G2S,dependable,accurate and fits the hand very well !

I agree wholeheartedly. The G2 in 9mm is extremely manageable in all functions, however there are adherents of the "9mm Kurz" who would probably buy them up is sold. I suppose the sales of the Spectrum might be the indicator of that...I wonder how they are selling?

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
I don't purchase factory ammo, but it seems to me that the price of 380 Auto has come down over the last 5 years or so...if anyone else who does by factory can verify this? With the increased demand for it with greater number of mouse guns it might follow that it would get to be less expensive?
I buy factory ammo (I don't reload) and yes, .380's are reasonably priced. I have a stash of several thousand rounds that I bought in 50ct boxes for under $10 each.

I know they'd at least sell a few in .32 and .380. They already supposedly make them for foreign sales, so they would at least make some money by selling them here. I assume the process to get them approved for import is so costly, that it wouldn't pay off. It would be interesting to know what their experience was with the PT111 vs. PT138 and PT132 sales. Was it 100 to 1 or 1000 to 1. They can probably estimate what their sales of G2 versions would be, it is likely it wouldn't make business sense with the cost of import approval.

Of course, I'm not an import business expert, but it's fun to play one on the Internet.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I think the SCCY 380 is finally in production.
In a gun lighter than 20 oz, I think there is a significant difference in felt recoil between a 9mm and 380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my humble opinion, there's a big difference in recoil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
G3C -- G2C frame in 380 ACP (recoil???)

Just my thoughts mind you, and where my suggestion came from:

Genitron has a great database for crunching numbers.
True, the P250 chambered in 380 did not sell well, and was discontinued in 2015...
... maybe it was because of the long DAO trigger for 380? I don't know.

Yet, when comparing the numbers for the P250 Sub Compact: 3.6" barrel, 6.7" length, 4.7" high, 1.1" wide, and 12 rounds in the standard magazine:

9mm weight of 25 oz = recoil of about 5.4 Ft-Lbs
380 weight of 19.5 oz = recoil of about 3.3 Ft-Lbs

Compared to the S&W 380 EZ: 3.675" barrel, 6.7" length, 5" high, 1.1" wide and 8 round in the standard magazine:
weight of 18.5 oz = recoil of about 3.5 Ft-Lbs

Those 380 EZ's are SELLING... S&W has them moving (with and without safeties)

--

In the last 6 months, my right hand has started with arthritis... it sucks to get old.
I'd appreciate the same functionality that I enjoy with my G2C, chambered in something more forgiving when I go to the range, or participate in training. Who knows, I might have to use it exclusively at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It didn't sell well because it was a huge 380. Ammo is about 40 percent higher than 9mm. The big selling point of the 380 is the tiny guns it can be chambered in. If a 380 is in a 9mm sized gun, you may as well have a 9mm. Having fired both in many forms, I don't believe the recoil is that different. If I want 14 rounds of 380 I carry both my LCP's. That said, I sometimes carry a Beretta 84 just because it's cool.

·
Super Moderator
38,007 Posts
The CZ 83 that I recently acquired is an all steel 28 ounce pistol in 380 auto...I was surprised at how snappy the gun was when I first had it to the range. A full magazine adds another 4 oz. The G2 is 22 oz with an empty mag inserted. I am not sure that a G2 in 380 is the answer to your quest.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The personal perception ("felt recoil") of one gun versus another or one caliber versus another is a subjective thing. So much of that depends on the hand and motions of the shooter. And so much of it depends on the design of the gun, how high the bore-axis is above the hand or above the center of mass of the gun. And how long and hard the trigger is to pull, and how long the reach for the trigger is and so on . . . . .and so on . . .

There are just so many variables involved that the most practical test is to take two guns to the range and shoot them side-by-side, one after another, several magazine-fulls, and see just which one feels best to YOU! And that will be all wrong for the next guy, by the way.

I have one 380ACP that seems to shoot softer than a 9mm, and one that is the other way around. Just a matter of personal impressions and preferences, I think.

Flash

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
It didn't sell well because it was a huge 380. Ammo is about 40 percent higher than 9mm. The big selling point of the 380 is the tiny guns it can be chambered in. If a 380 is in a 9mm sized gun, you may as well have a 9mm. Having fired both in many forms, I don't believe the recoil is that different. If I want 14 rounds of 380 I carry both my LCP's. That said, I sometimes carry a Beretta 84 just because it's cool.
Yeah, +1 on the Beretta!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts