Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
So let me get this straight....Taurus just fished out millions of dollars in a lawsuit because their old 24/7 and Mil Pro line pistols had an issue where if you slightly pulled the trigger and then engaged the safety, the gun would still fire.
I thought the previous issue was the gun firing when dropped.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I thought the previous issue was the gun firing when dropped.
The Taurus Gen 1 striker-fired pistols would fire when dropped, but only if the operator first made the pistol unsafe by engaging the safety with the trigger pulled back. In that condition, the pistols could be fired with the safety engaged, and could fire when dropped on the back of the slide because the trigger was free to move.

Obviously, it is pretty stupid to make the pistol unsafe in this manner, but a number of people did, shot themselves when they dropped their pistols, and sued Taurus for megabucks. Then the shysters who had been handling the individual product liability suits found a poster boy for a class action suit. The recall was part of the class action settlement.

I gather that quite a few people on this forum still own, and even carry the recalled pistols. Unfortunately, Taurus refuses to sell internal parts, so only Taurus can repair a broken Taurus pistol. Taurus also refuses to repair the recalled pistols. If a critical part breaks, and the owner is not a skilled machinist, then the recalled pistol becomes a paperweight. The owner's only means of recovering any value is to return the pistol to Taurus. Several people who had been blissfully unaware of the recall joined this forum just to complain about that.

There's no telling whether Taurus will recall the Gen 3 pistols. Taurus won't do anything until someone sues them.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Just tried this on my G3, it will happen, but you have to pull the trigger almost to the point of it firing. So, why would anyone be pulling the trigger that far back before trying to engage the safety?
Yes. To that I say, "Your stupid started earlier than the gun's point of failure."

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just tried this on my G3, it will happen, but you have to pull the trigger almost to the point of it firing. So, why would anyone be pulling the trigger that far back before trying to engage the safety?
Doesn't matter. The G3 has the same safety defects as the Generation 1 pistols that were recalled. The same shysters who filed the class action suit on the Gen 1 pistols will be all over this. They're just waiting, like buzzards, for some idiot to drop fire his G3 and kill somebody. It's only a matter of time. Remember that the shysters got nine million bucks for their last class action. We G3 owners will be stuck with pistols subject to a Taurus recall. Taurus will offer pennies on the dollar for them, and will refuse to repair any of them that need repair.* What I can't understand is why Taurus re-introduced a safety problem that it had fixed in Gen 2.

* Perhaps you're not aware that Taurus refuses to sell "critical parts," i.e. most internal parts of its weapons. If anything breaks or wears out, you have no alternative but to send your pistol back to Taurus for repair.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yes. To that I say, "Your stupid started earlier than the gun's point of failure."
This is America. Stupid people win big lawsuits all the time, and there will be another class action suit over this.

·
Registered
36,088 Posts
So let me get this straight....Taurus just fished out millions of dollars in a lawsuit because their old 24/7 and Mil Pro line pistols had an issue where if you slightly pulled the trigger and then engaged the safety, the gun would still fire. Then, they release a brand new line called the G3 that has exactly the same safety flaw? How does that happen? Nobody in the room said "Hey, we need to be sure that we don't have the same problems with this new gun as we had with the recalled guns." ? :???:

If this is true, then shame on Taurus. They'll have become the stereotype, of a company that does the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.
I understand that the discussion started down that road but got side tracked by them trying to decide whether to put a Lexan side cover on the guns so owners could see the inside and how it worked!
seriously I can't believe that anyone would do that, Shirley that can't possibly be the case?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
This is America. Stupid people win big lawsuits all the time, and there will be another class action suit over this.
The lawyers will have to find someone with "standing" first...someone who has already been injured in just that way.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The lawyers will have to find someone with "standing" first...someone who has already been injured in just that way.
They had no problem doing that with the Gen 1 pistols. They probably won't have a problem doing it with the G3s.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts