Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious whether other G3C owners notice that their G3C is more accurate shooting heavier grained ammo? I find that mine does not perform as well running 115gr that it prefers 124 and up. My best groupings at 10 yards on paper are from 147 grain FMJ. I run 125 gr Fort Scott TUI subsonic defense loads and they are tack drivers with laser point accuracy but they are far too pricey for range day training sessions. Just wanted to hear other peoples experiences and if it is just me. Thanks for your time and input.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen any difference in mine running 115 or 125grn. Haven't put a ton through it though. Maybe this will help with your groups..... Great training tool

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Wow alright then. Yeah I tried running 115gr Federal Syntech and for whatever reason it like to go high right, when I went to 147gr FMJ that I had it was dead on and I am not a person who is recoil sensitive or anything like that. Due to financial issues I ended up selling all but 2 of my firearms and I had a Glock 20, a Springfield 1911 Commander model, a CZ 40B, S&W Model 60 .357, Ruger Redhawk, and a S&W 500. So I have shot some pretty hefty hand cannons. I kept my great-grandfather's 22 and the 1863 Norwich 60 cal black powder that has been in the family since new. It was issued to a great- uncle during the Civil War so it will never go anywhere except to the next generation male as an heirloom.

·
9,158 Posts
Different barrels like different weights. In almost all 9mm's 147 are most accurate ( heavy and slow ). I am not surprised yours prefers 147 for target work. I keep Speer 147 gold dots for my longer barrel defense guns, to get as much velocity as I can. But my normal carry in my shield plus is 115 Sig v crown, in my CZp01,Glock 17 etc.. Have 124 Gold Dots.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different barrels like different weights. In almost all 9mm's 147 are most accurate ( heavy and slow ). I am not surprised yours prefers 147 for target work. I keep Speer 147 gold dots for my longer barrel defense guns, to get as much velocity as I can. But my normal carry in my shield plus is 115 Sig v crown, in my CZp01,Glock 17 etc.. Have 124 Gold Dots.
That is interesting that a barrel would make that difference really I would think that the weight of the recoil spring would play a greater role in that.

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
I don't own a G anything Taurus myself, but In 380, 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM or 45 acp inside 25 yards i can not tell a bit of difference in grain weight of the projectile to be honest, i can tell more difference in going from one weapon to another actually. I have shot as many as 100 rounds of from 80 grain to 147 grain 9 MM ammo at 15 yards and you can't pick one out form the other ,all basically /usually being in a 4-6 inch circle.
same with the other calibers and weight spread, 45 acp from 165 to 230 grain.

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
HMM??
maybe I could tighten up these groups with a 147 grain projectile???
Font Art Circle Illustration Painting
Handwriting Font Line Circle Illustration

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed the same in my G2c. After about a thousand rounds of this and that and that and this, I decided to keep 147gr in all my 9mm. 115gr is a bit snappy and 147gr is just a joy to shoot.
I also found it depends greatly on the shape of the projectile too. I found hollow points vary in accuracy depending on its design regardless of weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was curious whether other G3C owners notice that their G3C is more accurate shooting heavier grained ammo? I find that mine does not perform as well running 115gr that it prefers 124 and up. My best groupings at 10 yards on paper are from 147 grain FMJ. I run 125 gr Fort Scott TUI subsonic defense loads and they are tack drivers with laser point accuracy but they are far too pricey for range day training sessions. Just wanted to hear other peoples experiences and if it is just me. Thanks for your time and input.
Yes I agree - Several Years ago Ilearnedthis With ALL Short Barrels -- Under 4"-- I only Use (124 gr) On Mine- BUT My new G3c is Placing shots TOO LOW! Anyone having this issue?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It's a matter of the burn rate and amount of the propellant in the load (and that is factored with the weight of the bullet and the length of the barrel).

Most high velocity loads with lighter weight bullets are designed to burn propellant for the entire time it takes the bullet to leave a service-length 5-inch barrel. That's why if you fire that round from a short barrel, you'll notice quite a bit of muzzle blast as the propellant is still burning when the bullet has left the barrel. That's also why you don't get the rated muzzle velocity out of a shorter barrel.

It's possible to load a faster burning propellant (back when I handloaded, "Bullseye" was such), but that will run into other issues, such as being more likely to go "boom" instead of "bang" when you try to stuff enough fast-burning propellant to get long-barrel velocity out of a short barrel. The fastest burning propellants are best used for softer target loads in target-tuned guns.

Rounds formulated for the best stopping power (all things considered) out of a short barrel tend to be heavier and slower. Somewhere in their advertising they may even tout being particularly formulated for short barrels. Those rounds will usually be more pleasant to shoot and will have much less muzzle blast.

It is logical that gun manufacturers would factory-set the sights for the ammunition best suited for the gun...in this case, ammo with heavier, slower-moving bullets.

Reactions: Ron1977

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not own a G3c but have two G2c models. The second one I purchased I shot with Winchester Train/Defend 147gr and noticed it shot better groups than my first G2c that I only shot with various 115gr. I'm going to reshoot my first one with the 147gr and see if there is some consistency to this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts