Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Did you ever get any explanation as to how the trigger bar might cause jams? The only thing close that I've found so far is a Youtube explaining a known problem with G3s misaligned trigger bar causing slides to rub and stick. They did not mention FTF being a result of this though.
As the old saying Goes if you cant dazzle them with Brillance, baffle them with BS, the trigger bar answer seems to be BS for a Feeding issue, IMHO. I would clean and open the Ramp up and be done with it, then a good polish , come on Man !!! learn to fix you're own guns!!! Be your own Gunsmith!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
As the old saying Goes if you cant dazzle them with Brillance, baffle them with BS, the trigger bar answer seems to be BS for a Feeding issue, IMHO. I would clean and open the Ramp up and be done with it, then a good polish , come on Man !!! learn to fix you're own guns!!! Be your own Gunsmith!!!
What you described was my reaction, and exactly what I ended up doing. I polished up and opened up the feed ramp a bit and it did run reasonably well after that.

I think this "adjusting the trigger bar" thing, is just a way they can put some corrective action on the paper instead of "unable to replicate." Companies know that customers don't like warranty responses of "we didn't do anything." I figure for as cheap as they're selling barrels, they could just slap a new barrel into these guns coming in and say "replaced barrel." People would probably have a lot more faith in that whether it realistically fixed it or not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What you described was my reaction, and exactly what I ended up doing. I polished up and opened up the feed ramp a bit and it did run reasonably well after that.

I think this "adjusting the trigger bar" thing, is just a way they can put some corrective action on the paper instead of "unable to replicate." Companies know that customers don't like warranty responses of "we didn't do anything." I figure for as cheap as they're selling barrels, they could just slap a new barrel into these guns coming in and say "replaced barrel." People would probably have a lot more faith in that whether it realistically fixed it or not.
Maybe its because the barrel carries the serial they cant do it.

·
Registered
Taurus G3 stainless/black
29 Posts
I am new to firearms so I am being cautious making any mods. Will probably need to do that at some point if Taurus does not fix it. I've already polished the ramp good. I don't think that the ramp opening is my issue. My rounds are jamming into the top of the barrel opening maybe because there is almost no chamfer at the top and very little on the sides. Don't know if it's an issue trying to widen the chamfer myself.

I asked CS if they could get me an explanation for the trigger bar question. They ignored my question.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I agree completely about replacing the barrel especially considering the QC problems that they have been having.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I bought my G3 and my G3C, the first thing I did was remove any burr at the bottom of the feed ramp and polish the ramp. I clean and lubricate all the workings and then take it to the range.

Both pistols have been flawless except for my G2 Research rounds. They have not been good feeders.

I keep Norma MHP when I carry and either Blazer or Norma FMJ for the range. No problems ever.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Polishing the feed ramp is good, and you just gotta know how to do it and not over do it. I find a Dremel hard felt pad tip and mother's mag does it nicely. Takes a minute, and that's what you want. I still haven't had a chance to take the replacement GX4 out. I haven't polished anything up. I figure I'll take it to the range range see how it does. It seems to feed things well. I had one nose dive out of a lot of hand cycling, so hopefully she runs.

I think they're having an issue with either bad magazine springs, or the springs they're using simply aren't quite strong enough. My G3 springs would get sluggish when loading the 13th, 14th, and 15th round. That's where it would nose dive them upon racking the slide, first or second round into the gun. Live fire and hand cycling. I might order some MecGar springs from Ghost customs, and trim them to a custom length and put them in the GX4. The P365's 10 round mag springs are EVIL tight loading the final round, for the first 500 rounds, and those things don't miss a beat. The GX4 is kinda easy to load the 11th round, and that's not good.

However, my Caniks are very easy to load the last round, and they function beautifully. Eat anything and have Glock like reliability.

Reactions: AndyG3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two G3Cs......

Both have been flawless...about 800 rounds through the black and in the 300 to 400 range on the green. FMJ and a variety of HPs. Did have some click-no-bangs in the green with Winchester white box but the primers had a good deep strike so I'm chalking those up to bad ammo....did give me a chance to test the double strike capability and one of three did fire on the second strike. Never had this happen with the black one...flawless.

Got a G3 too so I could see if it was just as good...meh not so much.

Nothing terrible and they were in the first 200 rounds, but still issues I never had with the G3Cs. Some fail to feeds with Speer Gold Dots, fine with every thing else though. Same click no bangs with WWB but both of them did fire on the second strike. Also had a strange click no bang with Federal FMJ...shooting a mag of it and click no bang, nothing on the second strike either...racked it and there wasn't a round in the chamber. Not sure what that was. After those initial break-in issues it's been fine , nothing at all since and getting close to a 1000 rounds.

Also noticed a potential front sight issue. Changed the front site to a night site and when I went to take the screw out it was only finger tight...it never did come loose but I wonder if it would have. Changed out the front site on the black G3C and it was so tight I stripped it and had to drill out the screw.

Well that's my experience with them.....haven't ever checked the feed ramps. but maybe a good fluff and buff of the ramp might cure up the G3's Gold Dot issues, but when I carry I use the Underwood Xtreme Defender and those feed like FMJ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My LGS and their gunsmith confirmed that the trigger bar has nothing to do with FTF.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My LGS and their gunsmith confirmed that the trigger bar has nothing to do with FTF.
I completely figured that, and agree. I think it's BS. Too bad they don't at least throw a cheaper part in there, say a new RSA. That way people could have at least a little faith in it. Well, I hope OP gets the gun out there, soon, and I hope she runs well. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The factory should be able to dremel the feed ramp to (at least partially) match the G3C style.
But I have a feeling thats a step too far for them from a configuration management perspective.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And lets not forget, these are very inexpensive guns.. Taurus can afford only so much service before it removes the business case for selling.
In return for getting handguns that in my opion, beat others 2-3 times their price in form and function, I think we must accept things like managing our mag springs and/or sticking with ammo that works well with a tight feedramp and/or doing some dremeling of your own.

Everything is a trade-off and I am happy with the one I made with my G3.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I see your point, and to a veteran gun owner who knows what they're getting into, that may make sense. I don't have major issue with working on and modifying stuff. However, the G3 was just a mess, and I did get it working. I think the issue is changing designs that were previously working for lower production costs. They reduced costs some more, and changed the barrel finish, I guess.

Problem with it is, many people are going to buy an inexpensive gun, not really knowing the ins and outs of it. Additionally, most of those people will probably just buy it, shoot it once, throw it in a drawer. Now they have a gun, in their mind. Perhaps that is what Taurus is aiming for, and guns like the G3C and G3 can fulfill that role. The GX4, on the other hand, is a dedicated CCW design. That needs to be pretty spot on reliable, period. Even the G2C and G3C are very popular CCW guns.

I guess I have a hard time reconciling the fact that the PT 111 G2 and G2C were pretty stout reliable guns. They changed the magazine spring design from G2C to G3C, and barrel finish method. It has just resulted in an overall less reliable gun/design than it used to be.

I'm going to order the Wolff P365 springs today. Just in case the GX4 starts to poop the bed due to springs.

·
Registered
37,712 Posts
And lets not forget, these are very inexpensive guns.. Taurus can afford only so much service before it removes the business case for selling.
In return for getting handguns that in my opion, beat others 2-3 times their price in form and function, I think we must accept things like managing our mag springs and/or sticking with ammo that works well with a tight feedramp and/or doing some dremeling of your own.

Everything is a trade-off and I am happy with the one I made with my G3.

HMM?
OK say that i go along with this manufacturing and less than reliable weapon designed for self defense to many that can not do fairly simple reworks--repairs/
speaking for myself i had (and do) spent a few bucks more for what i consider a more reliable weapon just in case that i need it to go bang in the middle of the night in a dark street corner.
and yes I udnerstand that not all, likely not the majority of taurus weapons are ill produced but enough are as you can see by the complaints.
slow the process down, do more quality control and marjk themm up a few bucks, I mean Hio-point, Bersa and severla other companies do it.
by the very nature of the pricing and knowing human instinct the vast majority of taurus buyers I bet are newbies to guns.

Reactions: PilatusTurbo

·
Registered
37,712 Posts
HMM--Guess i should have read Pilatus reply before i made mine!

Hand Arm Facial expression Vertebrate World

• Haha
Reactions: PilatusTurbo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I must be lucky and didn't even know it. I have bought two G3's this month with the second one being today. And both of mine are like the ramps on the right. Don't know if the ones of color would have a difference, but one is Black-Grey, and the other is Black-Tan. The Black-Grey one I bought today jammed on the 3rd round twice, the fourth round once and the second round 3 times in a row. Seems it did not like the RNSP. It seems to like HP's.
Can you post a pic of your G3 with the wider feedramp?
I just bought a G3 and when it arrived today I was very disappointed to see the original style feedramp.
I have not taken delivery yet, due to 3 day waiting period.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can you post a pic of your G3 with the wider feedramp?
I just bought a G3 and when it arrived today I was very disappointed to see the original style feedramp.
I have not taken delivery yet, due to 3 day waiting period.
When are you getting out again to test it? Let us know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
When are you getting out again to test it? Let us know.
I have some very good preliminary results that are promising but will post up when I put more rounds thru it.
I also noticed the magazine feed lips appear changed compared to my older G3.

Sneak Peek, fired:
1 box of Norma 9mm brass FMJ (loaded a bit hot, quality ammo)
1 Box of Tula 9mm (yes its steel, but in 9mm Tula is actually quite good IMO)
1 Box of Wolf (One of the worst batches, dirtiest most malfunction prone boxes of ammo I own in 9mm )

= Not a single malfunction (!)

This is even though I took the gun out uncleaned and unlubed, straight from the gun counter.

It was unlubed/uncleaned because I could not yet take it home (3 day waiting period, not over) but they allowed me to shoot it on the premises.

Next week, I will examine the feedramp again with my armoring glasses on, there must be a difference, unless its all in the magazines.

Maybe I will start this as a new thread.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts