Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I’ve been on here, but after getting one of the new G3’s and making the initial range visit, thought I’d write a review of my experience.

When I got the gun last week, got it home, disassembled and cleaned it. Wasn’t too bad but looked like it had a few test rounds run through it, which was expected. Mags were not disassembled but did receive a light cleaning. On to the range review.

I shot 389 total rounds. The makeup of the ammo was as follows:
Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ, 60 rounds
Monarch Brass 115 grain FMJ, 50 rounds
Monarch Steel 115 grain FMJ, 32 rounds
Winchester Forged 115 grain FMJ, 32 rounds
Remington Military/Law Enforcement 115 grain FMJ, 50 rounds
Winchester NATO 124 grain FMJ (not pictured), 50 rounds
Winchester White Box 115 grain FMJ, 85 rounds
Federal HST 124 grain JHP, 30 rounds

Also met another gentleman there who commented on my shooting, which he thought was good. He asked if I was a LEO (Haha! No). We struck up a conversation which led to “What gun are you shooting?” I showed him the G3 and offered to let him shoot it. He shot a mags worth and loved it. He liked the fact that there was little to no resistance in the trigger until you hit the wall, the break was clean, and the short reset was nice. He reciprocated by letting me shoot his Sig P365, which had about 16,000 rounds through it (I’d never shot one before). Once I got the feel for the trigger (after 3 — 4 rounds) I finished up in the red with the final 7 shots at 7 yards. He had another in his pocket holster that had about 8,000 rounds through it. He explained that he carries the one, which has a better trigger, in his opinion, and shoots the other. He shoots the one he carries too (obviously) but not as often.

The pictures (in order) are the ammo lineup (sans the Winchester NATO) before getting started. The shooting results at 7 yards with the details as follows: The number 1 target was shot with the Remington M/LE. The 2 was the Monarch brass. The 3 was the Monarch and Winchester steel. The 4 was Winchester White Box. The 5 was the Blazer Brass. The targets shot with the Winchester NATO and Federal HST were not photographed. Meeting the other gentleman got me off my game, but the results were similar. All shots were taken at 7 yards at a shot pace of about 2.5 shots per second. The last picture I ran the silhouette target out to 25 yards. Shot pace dropped to about 2 shots per second. The last picture was the silhouette again, but at 7 yards, 30 rounds, a bit faster than 3 shots per second.

In case you’re wondering, the gun ran flawlessly. Every round was successfully fed, fired and the spent casing ejected with zero malfunctions. On another note, I don’t usually buy or shoot any steel case ammo. I bought some to run through the G3 because I’ve seen some reviews where this was a reported issue. Mine had no issues with 64 total rounds.
My shooting impressions. Like the G2, the grip stippling is spot on. The gun is easy to shoot, typical recoil for a gun this size, comfortable in the hand whether just gripping or shooting. In my opinion the trigger is better in the G3 than in the G2. I like the wider, flat trigger. The sights are okay and seemed to be lined up correctly, but this will be an upgrade item in the future if the gun continues to perform like it did today. Just hope more manufacturers start to offer holsters. It would also be nice if/when the 15-round magazines become available.
All in all, especially at this price point ($282 out the door), this gun ran like much more expensive guns that are comparable (size, weight, capacity). I shoot those guns better (based on review of past range pictures), but not remarkably so. This one is more than adequate and holds its own against those comparable offerings from other manufacturers. Taurus just does it at half the price. Once I get 1,000 rounds through it, I’ll post a brief follow up report.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Nice shooting. Thanks for the review.

Reactions: Gsx4

·
Registered
54 Posts
Excellent review. I enjoy shooting mine too. So far, I have between 700 -800 rds through it. Flawless. My only 2 complaints is that I don't care for the finish on the slide and the lack of aftermarket support. Can't find holsters or any of the 15 rd mags yet. The gun is definitely a shooter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts