Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came in from a cold, windy, and VERY FRUSTRATING day at the range..The frustration came, not from the weather, but whether my buddy, Ken's new G2C was a lemon or not.

Trouble was it was not firing properly. Sometimes the trigger would just pull clear through without moving the striker, sometimes the trigger would not pull through at all, and (occasionally) it would fire as intended. It seemed as though the trigger-safety was hingeing, as intended, but it was an unhappy hour.

Gun was stripped and cleaned/lubed three days ago. (Though we did not detail-strip the slide, the striker channel was flushed rigorously). It dry-fired properly - or seemed to. We used Federal 115gr JFMJ's, S&B 115FMJ, and some of my 115 FMJ reloads, so not an ammo prob. Dry-fired on snap-caps with an indicator-tape over the primer, and when it WOULD "fire" it left a proper indent on the tape. And would fire on live ammo - sometimes, as above.

We spent the next (the "last" ) hour filling two B-27 targets with holes - .22's (and 357's from my Taurus 66) - so as to not waste the staples we hung them with.

But back to the G2C - - did I read here on the forum that there were aftermarket triggers for this gun? Recommendations, anyone? Experience with this problem or the cure?

Thanks, in advance.

Flash

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Super Moderator
39,308 Posts
New gun? Just take advantage of free shipping back to the mothership and get it right. Time is money and if too much time elapses, it will be his money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would take it apart again if you haven't and check the trigger function again. It should work fine if new. But my G2C had a trigger hinge that is well documented here. The trigger would hang up on the safety a bit, but it worked fine. I eventually got a Slight Curve SAO Short Stroke Trigger from Keep Tinkering and it was the best $30 I spent. Mine is single action only but with a light short pull. It made my shooting my G2C much better.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
15 Posts
Flash said this in the opening post.
"

Trouble was it was not firing properly. Sometimes the trigger would just pull clear through without moving the striker,"
**** Took my new g2c 40 out.
Pulled trigger back all the way, nothing. A few times. Ejected a few rounds, tried again and it fired a couple magazines. Got home and took slide off, put back on and the trigger is going all the way back, no click obviously not working again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took my 40 out to the desert again today, 2nd time. Round in chamber in the video. Does fire off and on,
obviously not in the video.

·
Vendor
154 Posts
Trouble was it was not firing properly. Sometimes the trigger would just pull clear through without moving the striker, sometimes the trigger would not pull through at all, and (occasionally) it would fire as intended.
The trigger hanging up before it reaches the frame is a trigger safety issue, they are just poorly designed and dont work well. Making sure you are pulling STRAIGHT back and not putting ANY sideways pressure can help, but sometimes the trigger safeties just hang up anyway, especially in cold weather.

If the trigger is pulling all the way through until it touches the frame and not moving the striker, you probably have a trigger spring issue. Watch this video at 1:50 for checking the trigger spring tension at the rear of the trigger bar:

The rear of that trigger bar should be snapping back up all the way with some amount of force when you depress it and release it. If it is hanging up or sagging you will have all sorts of issues, as the trigger bar isnt going to be working the rear sear properly.

If the trigger bar is popping back up as it should be, but you are still experiencing times when you pull the trigger all the way through to the frame and it doesnt release the striker, you may want to watch the rest of that video, as you are likely having a trigger bar related reset issue. That is rarer with stock triggers that have grabby trigger safeties, because unless it is really wonky you wont experience it unless you are putting pressure on the trigger from right to left when pulling it, which the stock trigger with a grabby stock trigger safety usually makes much harder, but if you put right to left pressure on the trigger after it clears the trigger safety, it can happen.

The below video (not mine) of what a trigger bar reset issue on these guns looks like, and if you notice in the video at 4:50 he switches to left handed and the gun runs fine, because he is now putting sideways pressure on the trigger from left to right, and the issue stops occurring. The trigger bar can be corrected to fix this issue as I discuss in my above video on trigger reset:

Took my 40 out to the desert again today, 2nd time. Round in chamber in the video. Does fire off and on,
obviously not in the video.
That video is clearly showing your trigger safety is hanging up, and the trigger is not coming far enough back to release, make sure you are pulling STRAIGHT back and not putting ANY sideways pressure on it.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts