Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Second time out today with it, and thought first time maybe I wasn't quite acclimated to the new sights.

I'm having to aim a good bit higher at 10 and 25 yards. I get the front sight is a bit taller, but I figured the rear sight was a bit taller to avoid that.

Is this normal? On a smaller gun with such higher than stock sights?

Thanks!

ETA: same exact sights on G3, and G3 is dead on accurate, same POA/POI as before. I get it has a slightly larger sight radius. I'm at a loss for this phenomenon.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Vendor
825 Posts
There is what may be to many a surprising amount of gun to gun variation. Take the same sights, put them on several different of the same model guns, and you will see them hitting in different spots. Also, make sure the sights are mounted so the front sight is all the way down, flat against the slide. No light should be visible between the sight and the slide when viewing from the side. If you can see light, it isn't fit down all the way.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Alfonse is correct.
I put Truglo sights on my G2C and was disappointed that they didn't just slip into place.
Lakeline explained that the plug on the front sight is made a little larger than needed to accommodate variance between guns.
You can get a set of small jeweler files at Harbor Freight for 3 of 4 bucks. Carefully file down the plug of the front sight to fit your weapon until there is no space at all between the sight and the gun slide.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did in fact use my old jewelers files to fit the front sight, and it is fully flush. Not at all a poke on Lakeline, if it was even taken that way; it's Truglo's sights. I'm also not disappointed with Truglo, but I was just attempting to understand that. It's not world ending by any means, just don't like having to shoot a bit high. I suppose it's just the new way it shoots. I'd hate to put the old sights back on and lose the night sight quality.

So, I just gotta literally put the center of the dot directly on the target, vs my 6 o'clock front sight hold I'm used to. I am getting better at keeping both eyes open even with pistol iron sights, and that comes from using the heck out of red dot sights on my ARs over the last couple years. My dominant eye is really developing and allowing me to aim in ways I never did in years past. Pretty cool. I guess it's called a combat hold on pistol iron sights. Literally both eyes open and putting the sight directly on the target.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'm surprised, I really thought Alfonse was onto the problem.
I put Lakeline Truglo sights on my G2C, and they worked great!
I guess you could find some kind of spacer to put under your rear sight to raise it up a little.
You may have to find a slightly longer screw though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Center of target hold is not bad. Just be glad you don't have to hold 4" over and that it groups!
Agree on that, and it does seem to group, but it was steel only at the range that day so hard to tell at 25 yards. Long story. However, I'm aiming center and I guess, to me, what seems to be above the target.

·
Super Moderator
35,705 Posts
I just put the TruGlo TFX Pro sights on my CZ 75 Compact and I am shooting about 3" low at 30'. I have read that they are "combat" sights where the front sight should cover the POA as desired. I am aiming like that and get the 3" low. I am accustomed to that sight picture with the Heine sights on my PT 1911.

I need to get out again and work with it some more with various ammo and if the result is the same I'll be contacting TruGlo. I suppose I could file down the base of the front sight although with the CZ I would also have to cut the slot deeper also for the roll pin to fit through.

·
Registered
36,088 Posts
I just put the TruGlo TFX Pro sights on my CZ 75 Compact and I am shooting about 3" low at 30'. I have read that they are "combat" sights where the front sight should cover the POA as desired. I am aiming like that and get the 3" low. I am accustomed to that sight picture with the Heine sights on my PT 1911.
AHH IF I am not mistaken there CZech the CZ75 (and like CZ pistolas) are zeroed at 25 meters, if so then this would account for the hitting a bit low in closer distances.
didn't your CZ come with a factory test target?
all mine did except for the Shadow -2 and i thunk that one may be a American Baby with a czech name?

·
Registered
36,088 Posts
Center of target hold is not bad. Just be glad you don't have to hold 4" over and that it groups!
INDEED!
most experts (and ME) find it a lot easier to use this type of sight system in a self defense situation and also on moving targets.
as Checz mentioned the Hienie straight eight site system and i also have a PT1911 with that sight and it is a pretty good ,simple sight picture if you use it a bit, much easier to follow a moving target for me.
the only weapons that I have that have a 6 o'clock hold are adjustable sight pistols that i use for mostly target shooting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I need to get out again and work with it some more with various ammo and if the result is the same I'll be contacting TruGlo. I suppose I could file down the base of the front sight although with the CZ I would also have to cut the slot deeper also for the roll pin to fit through.
What you described is more accurate to my experience. I mean, I know I said I'm having to hold combat sighting over desired POI, but I really am having to aim a little higher. I didn't consider running different ammo, not that I had the option. I won't run JHP through it at the range, and I'm limited on FMJ ammo. However, it was all CCI Blazer 115 gr FMJ. Typically, I run Herter's (Winchester) or Federal. I'll have to bring a box of each of those next time, and run a few hollow points and see if the results are the same.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,705 Posts
What you described is more accurate to my experience. I mean, I know I said I'm having to hold combat sighting over desired POI, but I really am having to aim a little higher. I didn't consider running different ammo, not that I had the option. I won't run JHP through it at the range, and I'm limited on FMJ ammo. However, it was all CCI Blazer 115 gr FMJ. Typically, I run Herter's (Winchester) or Federal. I'll have to bring a box of each of those next time, and run a few hollow points and see if the results are the same.
Yep...I'll run some IMI NATO HP FMJ , not sure if I have an factory ammo on hand. Maybe load some full power PRN rounds also.

Reactions: PilatusTurbo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts