Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new G2c kydex holster left a few wear mark relatively easy. does anyone know what the finish is exactly? can it be touched up with a black oxide kit? is there a better method? Taurus call center rep had no idea what the finish was. appreciate any help here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep, mine is having the same issue. I'm going to hang on and shoot it, and when I get bored I'm getting the slide refinished.
Other than that, it's a solid firearm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the swift replies. sorry to hear you guys had the same issue. it's really minimal but if I have a perfectly set table with white linen tablecloth and one crumb drops on the table, guess where all my attention is going? I seen the pic thread and everyone's black slide looks factory fresh. this is my first firearm purchase and I'm happy with it for sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If everybody's black slide looks factory fresh, then chances are they're not using their gun. Or, more specifically/accurately, not carrying that gun in kydex. The finish on my G2 has a lot of so-called 'honest wear', but that's because it's in my holster being carried 24/7 (yes, I sleep w/ cargo shorts and a belt and holster) or used often.

This may not be what some people will agree w/, but it's a tool, and it's going to get some wear on it. Enjoy your gun, and certainly do not agonize over some wear.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Kind of like that first parking lot ding on a new car. Boils down to tool vs. safe queen. But I know you'd like the finish to hold up a bit longer. But wear marks give it character. Kind of like me: I'm 68 and have lots of character! Welcome to the Forum.

Reactions: dereck72

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
It's a black oxide finish. I have the PT-111 G2 which is the same gun. Mine is well over 5,000 rounds and shows lots of honest wear. Just keep the outside oiled and rubbed down and it will last a long time.

The reason some higher priced polymer don't show the same wear is that Glock, Sig, and Smith use a liquid nitrite process to finish and harden the slides. If Taurus used a similar process, it would add about 35% to 40% to the existing cost.

I also use a Concealment Express Kydex IWB holster for mine. Truglo also makes a good night sight in their TFX Pro line. Don't flinch when you see their cost, but my one sports a set and the other a Truglo front sight adapted from a Glock set.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
You could try to wax the slide with a carnauba paste wax. My first G2 was the black finish and I sold it when I got my SS one. One member here sanded off the black entirely and waxed the steel to inhibit rusting. Lakeline LLC has tritium and fiber optic sights also at good price points.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm 75, and like my guns, have a lot of holster wear. It's a sign of being well used.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can relate to the first parking lot ding analogy. Lady backed right into the rear bumper of the first new-ish car I financed that was flawless and scuffed the bumper 1 week after picking it up.
Friend also told me not to worry, its not going to rust away in a month if I keep it oiled. Interesting idea, the wax on bare metal. I appreciate the input, thanks for the welcomes.

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
I can relate to the first parking lot ding analogy. Lady backed right into the rear bumper of the first new-ish car I financed that was flawless and scuffed the bumper 1 week after picking it up.
Friend also told me not to worry, its not going to rust away in a month if I keep it oiled. Interesting idea, the wax on bare metal. I appreciate the input, thanks for the welcomes.
I just saw that you're in FL...the land 'O salt air which wrings out like a soaked towel. I would probably maintain the original finish as long as possible with oil or try a wax finish...either DIY Cerakote (or similar) or send it out down the line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Absolutely right about the humidity here. I'm here 11 years now and still not used to it. I was leaning towards the stainless. I saw a company that makes a black oxide kit primarily for automotive fasteners, even one in gel form, maybe that could be used to touch up spots?

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
You could try it on another piece of steel to see if you like the result.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Brand new G2c kydex holster left a few wear mark relatively easy. does anyone know what the finish is exactly? can it be touched up with a black oxide kit? is there a better method? Taurus call center rep had no idea what the finish was. appreciate any help here.
I've been carrying my PT111 G2 in a Leather IWB Holster for about three years now. Yep, the finish is showing some wear on the edges. I give it a light coat of oil each time I clean it and, so far, have see no rust. If it gets worn enough, I'll take to a Gunsmith and get it refinished.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If you think about it, where you have wear marks, is because as you holster or unholster, the gun is being rubbed...while it wore off your finish, it will also rub off any rust that tries to form there...dont get me wrong, i would still oil those areas when you clean the gun, but i wouldnt get overly concerned unless the gun was going to sit for a long time.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Mine has been great ...
If you browse their site .. they have a number of different finishes ....I have been to their facility (lab) ... Very professional

1 - 20 of 29 Posts