Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read CluelessJoeJacks' thread on 3/25/2019 about how his G2C wasn't returning to battery. I wasn't sure what he was talking about because I never had that problem with either of my PT-111 G2's. Last fall I sent my PT-738 TCP back for repairs. Taurus said they couldn't repair it, and replaced it with a G2C. I was very pleased with that exchange. The G2C was filthy from the factory, so I cleaned and lubed it, and it was ready to go.

The first time I took the G2C to the range I had no problems. Everything worked, no jams at all. I cleaned it again, and the second time to the range it started having problems. I let a friend, who came to the range with me and was new to handguns, try it out. After a couple magazines, the G2C started to jam. At first I thought my friend was limp-wristing it, so I shot it myself. Sure enough, it was jamming on me too. It would eject the fired casing fine; but as it slid the next round into the chamber, it would stop about a quarter of an inch short of fully closed. The slide would stick out the back of the gun about a quarter of an inch, and the trigger would not reset. Usually I could hit the back of the slide with the palm of my hand and it would nudge back into place. This was happening two or three times per magazine. Totally UNSAT!!!

I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning, and examination. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the recoil spring, or maybe the slide guides were bent, but everything seemed ok.

Today I took it back to the range and had no problems with the first three magazines. Then on the fourth magazine it happened again. It cycled the spent round out, slid the next round into the chamber, but stopped about a quarter of an inch from fully closed. I hit the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and it jumped into place. As I did this, I felt the trigger jump forward too. I shot 200 rounds, and it happened 5 times. Not as often as the last time I took it to the range, but not good. Each time I smacked it with the palm of my hand, and each time I felt the trigger jump forward as the slide pushed into place. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in the trigger linkage that is stopping the slide from fully closing. My next step is to replace the recoil spring with a Lakeline stainless steel spring.

Is anybody else having this problem? I think my friend was unimpressed with the G2C, and will be looking for another brand; and after this display, I don't blame him.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Pure speculation here......is it possible you are riding the trigger and that is doing it?
Is there any binding in the trigger safety when you squeeze it? If you dry fire do you notice anything odd?

With it only happening occasionally i lean toward it being a grip issue rather than mechanical....but it's really hard to tell.
Keep us posted if you figure it out.

·
9,106 Posts
Magazine bad or recoil spring asm, would be my guess. Could be bad machined slide etc..Send it home to Taurus for warranty repair.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I say mag problem, did you clean them when you got the gun?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pure speculation here......is it possible you are riding the trigger and that is doing it?
Is there any binding in the trigger safety when you squeeze it? If you dry fire do you notice anything odd?
Not sure what "Riding the Trigger" means.
Don't think it's the magazine. I've tried multiple magazines, G2 and G2C, and it happens with all of them. And yes, I've cleaned them all.
I'll try polishing the ramp, and using a Lakeline SS recoil spring. If that doesn't work, it'll be going back to the factory.
Too bad, I really like this gun.
I had one broken recoil spring on one of my G2's, and a trigger blade-safety problem with the other.
Taurus repaired both quickly, and under warranty.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Not sure what "Riding the Trigger" means.
Don't think it's the magazine. I've tried multiple magazines, G2 and G2C, and it happens with all of them. And yes, I've cleaned them all.
I'll try polishing the ramp, and using a Lakeline SS recoil spring. If that doesn't work, it'll be going back to the factory.
Too bad, I really like this gun.
I had one broken recoil spring on one of my G2's, and a trigger blade-safety problem with the other.
Taurus repaired both quickly, and under warranty.
By riding the trigger i meant holding it so it couldn't reset properly. With it only happening occasionally and no detail they points one specific cause I lean to an occasional user error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have heard of the recoil spring causing the problem that you describe but have not had anything like this happen to my G2 or G2c.
Please do keep us posted with updates.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Since you have eliminated the magazines as an issue, it sounds like it is short stroking. What ammo are you using? Try changing to another brand. I picked up some 9mm Perfecta from Wally World once and it short stroked in every 9mm auto I owned, it was just loaded too low pressure.

Stick with one of the better brands of FMJ ammo until it is broken in. I usually run at least 2 boxes of FMJ practice ammo, like Blazer, PMC, Fiocchi, Federal. I usually avoid Russian/Former Eastern Block brands, all steel cased ammo, Win White Box and Rem/UMC, at least until after break in. After the first 100 rounds, or so, I start trying to see which bullet weight and type it prefers, and it will differ depending on who is pulling the trigger and the gun. Some ammo it will like better than others, which ammo it likes best will be pretty evident in that it will reliably shoot smaller groups. For that reason I like to try a lot of different SD ammo as I break it in.

·
Vendor
153 Posts
I would verify this, and make sure you are holding the trigger all the way back when the gun fires. There is actually a specific spot in the trigger pull on Millennium guns that if you hold the trigger there the slide wont work right, it varies slightly on the gun but it is right around where the safety wall is.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would verify this, and make sure you are holding the trigger all the way back when the gun fires. There is actually a specific spot in the trigger pull on Millennium guns that if you hold the trigger there the slide wont work right, it varies slightly on the gun but it is right around where the safety wall is.
Where is this coming from? I have never heard of this before. Not to say it can't happen, just that I have never hear heard of, nor experienced such a thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I picked up some 9mm Perfecta from Wally World once and it short stroked in every 9mm auto I owned, it was just loaded too low pressure.
That might have been that particular batch of Perfecta (which is made by Fiocchi in Italy.) I haven't have any problem with running Perfecta in my G2c.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
It could have been, but it only matters that the box of those Perfecta did not function in any of my 9mm pistols because they were loaded too low of pressure. Actually, there were 2 boxes of Perfecta in 9mm and neither of them would reliably operate in any of my 9mm pistols. Now that I am looking at my stash of ammo, there is a box of Perfecta in .45 Auto that I have not tried. But the 9mm and .40S&W are all gone and I do not intend to buy any more Perfecta.

In any case, if you pistol is short stroking, it is likely the ammo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts