Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G2C Cases bulge over feedramp REPAIRED

I read in another thread how when compared to a Glock, “at least the G2C supports the entire cartridge case in the chamber”.

This is not true as the area above the feed ramp is unsupported. My G2C will swell cases in this area with most ammo, not all. Hornady +p 135gr Critical Dudy and my own reload of 115 FMJ over 5.2gr of unique. It does not bulge 106gr Danish NATO FMJ but I note the ctg case of this ammo is 4grs heavier than any commercial case I have measured.

I also note that the throat is very short on recent Taurus 9mm pistols. Some factory rounds hit the origin of the rifling. This is a risk of raised pressure on its own.

Do any of you have similar experience with a G2C?

Attachments

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Nope....................
Send it in and get it checked.................

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Send it back!
I don't worry about the bulge as much as I worry about the pressure ring just in front of the bulge. That shiny ring is where the case has stretched and is noticeably thinner. Even if you were to resize the case and remove the bulge you will have that ring which is weaker and in a critical area of the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will go back. Tried to shoot some of the many types of factory ammo in the “stash”. Mild to major bulge in most and many bullets engaged the rifling when chambered. Worst was Rem 147gr HP Pictured. Slide stopped 1/4” from battery locking up gun TIGHT!
Had to rod out the round at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I read in another thread how when compared to a Glock, “at least the G2C supports the entire cartridge case in the chamber”.

This is not true as the area above the feed ramp is unsupported. My G2C will swell cases in this area with most ammo, not all. Hornady +p 135gr Critical Dudy and my own reload of 115 FMJ over 5.2gr of unique. It does not bulge 106gr Danish NATO FMJ but I note the ctg case of this ammo is 4grs heavier than any commercial case I have measured.

I also note that the throat is very short on recent Taurus 9mm pistols. Some factory rounds hit the origin of the rifling. This is a risk of raised pressure on its own.

Do any of you have similar experience with a G2C?
Wow, sounds like an out of spec chamber to me. Mine does not do that, with any ammo I have ran through it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pistol at Taurus with fired cases from 8 + types of bulged FACTORY cases.

status shows “awaiting parts”. Barrel I suppose. I guess they import many thousands of these pistols...but no spare barrels.

·
Registered
36,923 Posts
Pistol at Taurus with fired cases from 8 + types of bulged FACTORY cases.

status shows “awaiting parts”. Barrel I suppose. I guess they import many thousands of these pistols...but no spare barrels.
yea , its baffling at times isn't it?
my PT1911 was at the mothership for like 9 weeks cause they didn't have an extractor in stock!
HMM. lets see we make 1911 but we don't have no stinkin extractors?
plus I think the first 3 parts boats hit rapids on the Amazon River and sank, causing a delay in delivery!

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
yea , its baffling at times isn't it?
my PT1911 was at the mothership for like 9 weeks cause they didn't have an extractor in stock!
HMM. lets see we make 1911 but we don't have no stinkin extractors?
plus I think the first 3 parts boats hit rapids on the Amazon River and sank, causing a delay in delivery!
Pffft...we all know they are just blowing sunshine up our skirts with "reasons" like "no extractors in stock". The thing that bothers me the most, is that their CS does not have enough respect for the customer, nor our intelligence, to at least come up with a believable excuse. :p

·
Registered
36,923 Posts
Pffft...we all know they are just blowing sunshine up our skirts with "reasons" like "no extractors in stock". The thing that bothers me the most, is that their CS does not have enough respect for the customer, nor our intelligence, to at least come up with a believable excuse. :p
well now in all fairness to the repair depot in Miami, those 1911 extractors are very large and bulky and they can't stock a lot of them I am sure!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wait...what? I missed this thread (busy) and I'd have been curious to see OP's bbl compared to other G2C bbls.

Ammolab: Did you do a quick plunk test? I'm curious just how unsupported the case base is. Thicker brass at the base, and being a 9mm (as opposed to .40), I'm super surprised to see the bulged cases.

Very interested in the outcome of this. I don't have a G2C - or any Taurus firearms, except a sole Millennium G2, which has been a raging champion that refuses to stop. I've got upwards of 2k through that pistol w/ no parts changes. New RSA awaiting actually being needed, but otherwise no parts ' on hand', due to Taurus' policies RE: parts (Ugh).

But I digress.

Are there any other G2C owners who are willing to break out the calipers and perform a plunk test? I'd be eternally (maybe) grateful if you could!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wait...what? I missed this thread (busy) and I'd have been curious to see OP's bbl compared to other G2C bbls.

Ammolab: Did you do a quick plunk test? I'm curious just how unsupported the case base is. Thicker brass at the base, and being a 9mm (as opposed to .40), I'm super surprised to see the bulged cases.

Very interested in the outcome of this. I don't have a G2C - or any Taurus firearms, except a sole Millennium G2, which has been a raging champion that refuses to stop. I've got upwards of 2k through that pistol w/ no parts changes. New RSA awaiting actually being needed, but otherwise no parts ' on hand', due to Taurus' policies RE: parts (Ugh).

But I digress.

Are there any other G2C owners who are willing to break out the calipers and perform a plunk test? I'd be eternally (maybe) grateful if you could!
As the OP I am not “another G2C owner”...but I own another G2C that does NOT bulge cases. I can say this other pistol is also VERY short throated, and some FACTORY 9mm ammo will engage the rifling as well, not to the point of locking up the slide short of closing, but you must TUG on the slide to unchamber a round, and you can see the lands engraving on the ejected bullet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pistol at Taurus May 31. Back here today June 13. Two weeks total...That seems a bit quick from past experience.

New barrel installed, no serial # and the bore looks smooth drilled, not chewed like the original.

No case bulge over the feed ramp except a very slight bulge and mark with +p and +p+ ammo. This is acceptable.

This barrel is also short throated. Older Rem 147gr HP RAMS and into the rifling, prevents the slide from closing and locks up the pistol SOLID. Some other 9mm seems to just touch the origin of the rifling but shoot sell. The old Rem 147gr HP chambers fine in the 13 other 9x19mm guns I have including a 24/7 OSS.

I’m good now...can’t complain about a $170.00 pistol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts