Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my g2 sight picture is the combat or put the front dot where you want to hit. I have factory sights and if I raise them up. Would it make much of a difference? I mean changing the sight picture to a center mass hold I think it's called. Where the bullet hits the top of the front sight edge. Sight picture would be the cutting the circle in half. Just wondering if people have done this before and it would work. I don't want to start messing with them if it is pointless to change the sight picture. Thanks in advance

·
Vendor
865 Posts
With the factory sights, you should be able to adjust the sight picture for what you suggest, if there is enough adjustment available. I have heard that referred to as a 6 o'clock hold. Raising the rear sight will raise the point of impact.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the 6 o'clock hold was the front sight below the circle. Also called a pumpkin on a post.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Referring back to my pistol training in the Corps I have these thoughts to offer. Sight picture depends upon situation. Are you shooting for maximum accuracy or maximum effectiveness? The 6 o’clock position is for target shooting. It is used under an assumption that you can adjust the sights or adjust the aim point by zeroing in. It is useful because o
it is a consistent point on the target. You adjust based upon actual hit point to attains curate sighting. If you aim at that point and you shoot high, low, right, left, you can adjust your aim either mechanically since target pistols have both elevation and wind adjustable rear sights. That means once you are zeroed in so that aiming at 6 o’clock you will consistently hit near the center of the target by aiming at the 6 o’clock. That point is designed to provide consistency from shot to shot. It is a handgun aiming technique for target shooting.

In the Corps other than qualifying we did not target shoot in the classic sense. We ahot at targets to practice pistol gunfighting. Point scoring accuracy was not the objective. Incapacitating the enemy was the objective. Since a human target is unlike a paper target you cannot apply 6 o’clock aiming unless the enemy is standing still and saying ready, aim, fire. The realit is you are shooting at a mass and you want to hit the most lethal area of its center. That area goes from the top of the breastbone to the navel across the frontal width of the adversary’s body. Never confuse an adversary with a target. Targets do not shoot back and they stay still.

We were taught and trained to aim and shoot at an adversary the following way. The adversary is mobile so speed is as important as accuracy. Accuracy will never be controllable to being perfect. You need to make debilitating hits on the adversary. In combat most close quarter engagements are one-on-one and are are face-to-face regardless of distance. To achieve satisfactory accuracy and speed you need to unlearn target shooting and learn close quarter combat shooting. I’ll describe the method we used for CQB handgun fighting.

Adverary come in view and must be instantaneously identified as a hostile. Pistol is most often raise but sometimes lowered on to center mass as define above. Front sight is quickly place on or near the area near the bottom of the breastbone. Pistol is rapidly leveled to near align front and rear sight. Being exact will get you killed. When speed has to be ultra fast and distance is within five meters just get the pistol as level as you can as quickly as you can without concerns for sight alignment. The objective is to hit the adversary wherever you can on the first shots

Place the front sight midway between the neck and the naval. Fire three shots in rapid succession. Do not even think about recovering from recoil. Just shoot three shots. The gun will climb and you will hit in a near vertical line. If your first shot is high your third shot will be near the heart and bottom of both lungs. If you hit low the third shot will be the lungs and major blood vessels in the upper body.

Finally, repeat as necessary until the adversary is down. Then go up and shot him in the head.

Now for stance — forget about it. If you take the time to get into a perfect stance you might be getting burried. Gunfights take secondsmthat seem like eternity when you are in one. You need to do thing in a gunfight. Hit the adversary Ober and over again until he drops even if your lying on your back with one arm out of commisssion.

Does what I just write work? I would not be writing or breaking this is if did not.

Reactions: Adamwest436

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1942bull thank you for your service. I understand what your saying. I'm trying to get better accuracy target shooting. I shoot close as it is now using the cover up sight picture. I think I would be more accurate with a different sight picture like cutting the spot in half with the front sight. Just seeing if the stock rear sights had enough play to accomplish this. And if people have done this with the stock sights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts