Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the G2 /G3 serie handguns have a double strike capability, but people are calling those guns Single Action. I don't understand how it can be. To have double strike, it has to be a full cock of the trigger/hammer/striker assembly to have a double strike, that would be a Double Action, right? That wouldn't be possible with a Single Action. Can someone explain to me what I am missing here. Thank you

·
22,316 Posts
The slide action leaves the striker spring compressed almost as much as possible. In normal operations, the trigger just releases it. When the striker falls but the slide doesn't reciprocate, the parts are there to use the trigger to fully compress and release the striker.

It's a useful capability, if you ask me. A little dry firing (triple check that your handgun is empty first) will show you that it works as advertised.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The slide action leaves the striker spring compressed almost as much as possible. In normal operations, the trigger just releases it. When the striker falls but the slide doesn't reciprocate, the parts are there to use the trigger to fully compress and release the striker.

It's a useful capability, if you ask me. A little dry firing (triple check that your handgun is empty first) will show you that it works as advertised.
I think I got it.
After loading the first round in the chamber, the slide will compress the firing pin spring to a SA mode.
After the trigger is pulled (in SA configuration), if a second strike is required, it will be in DA mode, as the trigger pull has to fully re-cock the firing spring. So the trigger should have a much longer and heavier pull on the second strike.
If this is correct, I like that principle very much. Thank you Ghosthorse.

·
Vendor
141 Posts
Yep, there are two completely different sears in the gun, a main fixed SAO sear, and a mobile DAO "sear" that is part of the trigger bar. Functionally they are completely different mechanisms. If you removed the SAO sear the gun would still function as DAO (I would not suggest this without getting a stiffer striker spring, as you will get lots of light strikes), if you ground off the tab on the trigger bar that acts as the DAO sear the gun would be SAO only without restrike.

The downside of this design is that you end up with a long trigger pull and that the DAO "sear" cant pull the striker all the way back to the to where the SAO sear does, so the DAO/Restrike does not hit hard as the SAO strike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the restrike works like a charm. I purposely took some hard hitting primers (reloads) with me to the range and after the SA first strike failed to fire the rounds, the restrike made it happen. I am sold on the restrike capability.

·
Vendor
141 Posts
But the restrike works like a charm. I purposely took some hard hitting primers (reloads) with me to the range and after the SA first strike failed to fire the rounds, the restrike made it happen. I am sold on the restrike capability.
It might on yours, but it is very common that the restrike isnt enough on G2s and G2Cs to ignite even a a Federal primer on the first hit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts