Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Millennium G2, circa ~2015. In just under 6k rounds, I basically shot the disconnector ramp flat enough that it caused my G2 to go FA unexpectedly. I field stripped it, let it cool, and put it back in its lockbox so I could get back to shooting drills w/ my G19 (EDC). The G2 is a kind of inexpensive truck gun that - until then - had proven to be reliable over several thousand rounds, even w/ hard use.

So in talking w/ Keep Tinkering - (who, BTW, is a real stand-up member of our 2A/gunner 'community'. He was extremely helpful and friendly, and gave very genuine effort toward trying to help me pinpoint the issue.) - I eventually made the hard decision to send it in to Taurus.

I didn't want to. I'm primarily a Glock shooter; have been for years. (I'm also a detractor of the idea that inexpensive pistols are all junk. The G2 has it's issues, but I got got my $ worth from it.) Anyway, I prefer working on my own guns. So sending it in didn't feel good to me.

I contacted Taurus and explained. They emailed a printable FedEx label and I sent that day. They received it and kept it for 11 weeks.

One day, I got an email from Taurus alluding to an inbound package. The email was (of course) a no-reply, but its hotlink was dead and after waiting on hold for ~45mins, I figured it'll show up at home when it shows up.

Fedex emailed and a few days after, I signed for my little G2...home at last. But the joy would be short-lived.

The slide had a few spots of thick surface rust. I'm a fanatic about oiling/rust-proofing metal...especially guns. That slide originally had a spot at the rear-most top left that would lightly surface rust overnight. I figured it was my summertime sweat and treated it w/ Eezox and it never returned. I love that stuff (Eezox and Slip 2K).

The invoice said they replaced the trigger bar, the sear/safety/et al pack (I can't recall what they called it and I don't have an exploded diagram to give the Taurus-specific part #) and the disconnector 'ramp' piece...which was primarily my culprit. The other stuff was quite literally 'shot'.

Basic function check is fine. I've not fired it, but I will be tomorrow.

But the glaring issue I now have is that the damn safety was improperly assembled and won't engage fully to the top-most position, making it able to release the sear while 'engaged'. That's a real problem. I don't use the safety anyway (Glock shooter) but that's 100% unacceptable.

So... The question for you, my fellow Taurus-owning peers, is this: do I:

1). Contact Taurus and tell them they botched the reassembly (possibly [probably!] having to return the damn G2 AGAIN) and see what they say?

Or:

2). Simply attempt fix it myself first. I've worked on Glocks, ARs, and even the G2 for years and, while I'm no gunsmith, I am competent, thorough, safe, and know when I'm in above my pay-grade, if you know what I mean.

I'd also again like to take a minute to publically thank Keep Tinkering for all his help. He and I built up a pretty long email thread going back and forth while he tried to help me work out why my G2 went FA. I immediately suspected the disconnector, but needed the help of a person intimately familiar w/ the G2. He went out of his way to help a fellow gunner, and I appreciate and thank him again.

·
8,551 Posts
Another Taurus sucks sess story. My experience with Rossi/Taurus was very similar. 11 weeks to repair a non functioning bolt lock issue, returned with nothing done. Sent in again, 7 weeks later when I checked on the repair, they said have to replace with another Rossi/Taurus product. Reason...No repair parts available. What was interesting is, when I asked about waiting for repair parts, the agent said none would be coming and replacement was only option. Now they are still selling this rifle all over -- RS22WSM, but no more parts available. It is a cheap rifle $229 my cost, so I get phasing it out..but what about the thousands of folks who bought or will be buying it in the future. The new CEO continues to make public comments about how he is fixing CS..Hmmm...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I think about this, the more I don't understand how this most very basic function made it through, and out of, any quality control measure(s) Taurus has for verifying repair. I absolutely don't believe this could've made it past an experienced gunsmith (or gun 'plumber' like me)...which leads me to the fact that I can only guess what went wrong.

I'll make sure to update after tomorrow's weekly range day.

It's certainly not my intention to 'bash' Taurus. There was a time I trusted this pistol - and I hope to return to that trust.

I know Taurus Forge is a manufacturer of a lot of MIM parts, and in fact upon examination, I do see what I believe to be little round mold ejector marks in the side of the disco.

I guess I'll have to repair that safety switch. That itty-bitty little detent ball is a tricky little bastard sometimes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
punch 2 pins out lift the sear block out and fix it . less time then you printing out a return label unless something is broken

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm a big fan for fixing it yourself. It increases your knowledge of the product and issue. Can't say it will bump up your pay grade however you'll surely feel like you've moved into the corner office with a view.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I fixed it. It turns out there was no ball detent. I know this because I've worked on the G2/3/S/3c series pistols dozens of times, and I know how that ball can eff right off on you if you're not careful. If you don't know what I'm talking about, its the ball that sits in a notch/cup and makes up part of the safety detent - It's a 2.5mm inox steel ball, and it's tiny.

Anyway, the gun: She runs just fine, and today I put 250/rds of Federal 115gr. and 50/rds of 135gr. Critical Duty down her w/o any issues. I'd have really liked to put a bit more downrange, but w/ the horrendous cost of even plinkin' ammo (not to mention $65 worth of defensive ammo), I will have to put the G2 back into F/T use as another truck gun w/o fully vetting it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts