Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired (was purchased in Dec. 2011 but I just bought it from my brother) the G2 .45acp subcompact for concealed carry and was wondering what recommendations on accessories ( holsters, lasers, lights) as well as if there were any upgrades to make it a more precise gun. I have a 10 round magazine and a 12 round magazine. I'm basically just looking at what all my options are. This is my first concealed carry and Taurus purchase. I've placed about 250 rounds through it so far and have had 3 mis-feeds. I basically had to rack it and it continued to shoot. I wasn't sure if that's simply because it's new and the tolerances need some getting used to or if I could have a gunsmith improve the tolerances in some way to help the timing of ejection of the brass and having the next round smoothly insert into the barrel. So, any and all information is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Holsters are a personal choice, I carry IWB with a no cant holster so I can (and often do) carry cross-draw. Lights to my way of thinking has the potential to ruin your night vision, and lasers well I'm not going to look for no little red dot. I practice and am fairly good point aiming and familiar with the pistol I carry. This is all personal opinion that you have to take with a grain of salt, so in essence I simply don't like the add-ons. Your G2 isn't a target pistol and is not likely to ever shoot like one. BTW someone is going to ask so it might as well be me how many total rounds have been put through your pistol? 250 is only about 1/2 way to break-in. Oh, yes, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I would try a few different brands/types of ammo before consulting a gunsmith, try firing it from a rest and throw a snap cap in the mag at random with your ammo, the gun itself may be more accurate than you think. when you pull the trigger on a snap cap unknowingly it will make you aware of any problems with your trigger pull.

Reactions: PT247G245ACPpreston

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@oldbull360 Thanks for that information. I'm looking to keep the gun as is, and work on developing my personal shooting skills for the most part but was curious about other's opinions. You said you use a "IWB no cant holster," is there a particular brand that fits well with my particular pistol. I'm noticing on the forum that typically a PT24/7 G2 .45 subcompact holster doesn't fit as well as it should... In regards to the amount of rounds put through, we're looking at about 350 total. Thanks again.

@jimb1972What type of ammo would you recommend? I'm using whichever is available at the stores that carry it here in phoenix. i'm willing to purchase and have it shipped if that's a better option. I've shot the Winchester 230 grain FMJ .45auto ammo so far and a PPC brand or something like that. 100 rounds each of both those brands and both had about 2 ejection of the brass issues. I'll take into consideration the firing it from a rest position as well as throw a snap cap in the mag. I don't know what either of those mean, as i'm new to the semi-automatic pistol scene but I'd assume from a rest position means resting it on something? and a snap cap is a blank round? I'll google it but any other info is appreciated. thx

·
Administrator
35,787 Posts
Um.....I hate to even bring this up.....

:nopics:

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@texastaurusguypics showing what? i'm not naive but i'm new to this so i'm not sure what your comment means. Look up on google or your search engine of choice, Taurus PT 24/7 G2 .45acp subcompact and that's what it looks like :) (jokingly of course) i guess, thanks for your reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing I'm trying to learn about, how does one tell the difference of the generations of my particular model: it was purchased in December 2011, it's a PT 24/7 .45 auto G2 sub-compact? does "G2" mean generation 2?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, G2 Means Generation 2. There are a few different iterations of the 24/7 including the OSS, G1, and G2.

the original and OSS has a longer barrel
http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/24_7OSS-DS45_1.jpg

The G1 was a little more blocky and rounded
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/7/75/Taurus_247.jpg/400px-Taurus_247.jpg

and the G2 has (in my opinion) the nicest lines and shaping.
http://ttag.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Taurus-Right-Side.jpg

Snap caps are little plastic dummy rounds that have a spring loaded primer button in them that allow your striker to hit something and not damage your gun through dryfiring. The point of the pics post is we cant make suggestions as to what might be going on. Photos of the FTF or whatever is happening can help greatly so it was being suggested that you add images of the failure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@k.hurrle Thanks for the breakdown. I'll be sure to take pics when i'm shooting it next time, if it does it again. Do you know of the differences between the PRO model and the DS model? I'm trying to learn anything and everything about the gun. Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
DS means it has a Decocker Safety.
Other than that, not much.

quoted from olfarhors post in another thread...

for future reference it goes like this!
24/7- Double action only.
24/7 Pro- single action / double action.
24/7 Pro D/S- single action/ double action with decocker.
The decocker allows the owner to carry the weapon in either first shot mode of single action or double action (by decocking the pistol), as well as being a safety feature when carrying, unchambering etc.
there are variations off these models such as Long slide/ compact/ California complaint/ OSS as well.
the pro series is the second production of these models, the D/S the third and now the 24/7 G-2, which is a different animal althogether basically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts