Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
I recently found this video on youtube.

But I thought it was impossible to put a super 38 ammo (9x23) in a G19.
Could someone confirm for me if this is possible?
And if it's possible, could I turn my G3 into 38 super?
Yes I am love this caliber.

9mm vs 38 super in 1911

Administrator
I would think that given the overall length of the .38 Super Cartridge you would need to employ the Glock 21 Frame.
The Glock 19 frame would be too short in the Magazine Well.

Registered
Don't know the size of the 19 frame but JWC makes a good point.
and as the 38 Auto/super is longer than the 9 MM I would think that some stretching of the chamber area would be needed as the 38 Super is about 4 MM longer than the 9 MM.
pressure wouldn't be a problem as long as the weapon is designed to handle 9 MM Plus P ammo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know the size of the 19 frame but JWC makes a good point.
and as the 38 Auto/super is longer than the 9 MM I would think that some stretching of the chamber area would be needed as the 38 Super is about 4 MM longer than the 9 MM.
pressure wouldn't be a problem as long as the weapon is designed to handle 9 MM Plus P ammo.
My biggest dream is to have a compact pistol, like the G3 or G19 with a large capacity in that caliber...

Registered
My biggest dream is to have a compact pistol, like the G3 or G19 with a large capacity in that caliber...

Well I still LUST for a Dan Wesson alloy frame Commander in 38 Super!
but got four 38 Super caliber weapon now, all are full size however.
my Tanfoglio Elite I think is like 18 Plus 1 capacity?

Reactions: pablonicolasouto

Registered
My first reaction to any new production polymer framed striker fired pistol being chambered in
38 Super .. is
WTH for ? We have the 357 SIG 鈥10mm
I can see in a 1911

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first reaction to any new production polymer framed striker fired pistol being chambered in
38 Super .. is
WTH for ? We have the 357 SIG 鈥10mm
I can see in a 1911
here in Brazil, super 38 ammo is 10% cheaper than 9mm ammo.
The 357 SIG, on the other hand, is very difficult to find, and when you do, it costs two to three times more than a 9mm.
it may not be your reality, but it makes a lot of sense to me

Reactions: olfarhors

Registered
I have a couple G19 mags and none of the .38 Super (Aguila) I have will fit right.

I also question the video. All my G19 mags have a black follower, their mag had a red one.

I've dabbled with .38 Super, there is nothing it can do that the 10mm can't. PPU has 10mm loads that match full .357 mag, which is better than a .38 Super.

Maloy

Registered
I have a couple G19 mags and none of the .38 Super (Aguila) I have will fit right.

I also question the video. All my G19 mags have a black follower, their mag had a red one.

I've dabbled with .38 Super, there is nothing it can do that the 10mm can't. PPU has 10mm loads that match full .357 mag, which is better than a .38 Super.

Maloy

TRUE!
the difference that I see right off the top is one recoil, a 38 Super even loaded to true 38 Super specs is a lot tamer in recoil and then there is that 15-20% more capacity than the 357 Sig or 40 or 10 MM in the same length magazine.
the 38 Super is a good round and I love it but lets face it, not likely to become mainstream again, or at least anytime soon.

Reactions: pablonicolasouto

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TRUE!
the difference that I see right off the top is one recoil, a 38 Super even loaded to true 38 Super specs is a lot tamer in recoil and then there is that 15-20% more capacity than the 357 Sig or 40 or 10 MM in the same length magazine.
the 38 Super is a good round and I love it but lets face it, not likely to become mainstream again, or at least anytime soon.
The 38 super just doesn't become popular for two reasons.
We don't have a Glock, or a Glock clone in that caliber.
We don't have a budget revolver in that caliber.
When we have a 2" or 3" revolver.
And a high-capacity, low-priced pistol this caliber will take off.
The factories insist on the 1911,
and the S&W revolver in that caliber costs over a thousand dollars,
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

and condemn the caliber to death.

Reactions: jwc007 and dwhite

Registered
A revolver in .38 super would be a "NO GO" here. What can it offer over .357/38 Spec.?

I've a beautiful .357 S&W 627-8 performance center 5" barrel. An 8-shot that can use moon clips or a speed loader.

Maloy

The 38 super just doesn't become popular for two reasons.
We don't have a Glock, or a Glock clone in that caliber.
We don't have a budget revolver in that caliber.
When we have a 2" or 3" revolver.
And a high-capacity, low-priced pistol this caliber will take off.
The factories insist on the 1911,
and the S&W revolver in that caliber costs over a thousand dollars,
View attachment 494836

and condemn the caliber to death.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A revolver in .38 super would be a "NO GO" here. What can it offer over .357/38 Spec.?
Maloy
It offers more performance than a 38 SPL, without having the absurd recoil of the 357,
with a shorter drum than both. Which would be great for the snoob noose.
And if you could still have just one caliber for your revolver and your pistol. If any factory produces a high-capacity, polymer 38 super.

Registered
It offers more performance than a 38 SPL, without having the absurd recoil of the 357,
And if you could still have just one caliber for your revolver and your pistol. If any factory produces a high-capacity, polymer 38 super.
You don't seem to acknowledge there are some .38 Special +P that border .357 listings and mild to wild ..357 loadings.

.38/.357 crosses a much wider territory than .38 Super can.

Maloy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't seem to acknowledge there are some .38 Special +P that border .357 listings and mild to wild ..357 loadings.

.38/.357 crosses a much wider territory than .38 Super can.

Maloy
38 SPL+P can reach a maximum of 22~23 thousand pounds of pressure, anything more than that is pushing your luck. (38 SA work with 36 thousand pounds)
Many people do this ? Yes
It's right ? Not
Can a 357 have a smaller payload? For sure.
But I see no reason to use a huge case for a small load.
However, the main factor that I defend the 38 SA, is the possibility of using it in the Revolver (without moon clips) and in a pistol.

Registered
I agree with maloy & olfarhors.

38 Super Auto +P doesn't offer any real advantage vs 40 S&W outside of competition where 38 Super Auto +P ammunition is used in semiautomatic handguns.

There are revolvers already available in the US market chambered for 40 S&W. The availability of 40 S&W in the US, in a range of loadings, is significantly greater than the commercial 38 Super Auto +P ammunition available in the US.

Here's such a revolver in 40 S&W offered by Charter Arms as an example.

maloy is quite right regarding the broad range of cartridge loadings available in both commercial ammunition and handloading from 38 Special through 357 Magnum isn't equaled by the 38 Super Auto +P. For those interested, there's even 38 Special +P+ commercial ammunition which of course can be used in a revolver chambered for 357 Magnum. Here's a weblink to an article that discusses 38 Special +P+ ammunition history.

Winchester 38 Special +P+ 110 Grain Ammunition

This is currently out of stock, but so are lots of factory ammunition especially products with limited market / customer base. This also may be discontinued as it doesn't appear on the current page for Winchester Ranger LE ammunition. If it's discontinued I can understand why; I can't imagine there's much market demand to justify producing this ammo especially in the world changed by COVID-19.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I agree with maloy & olfarhors.

38 Super Auto +P doesn't offer any real advantage vs 40 S&W outside of competition where 38 Super Auto +P ammunition is used in semiautomatic handguns.
Can you use .40 in a revolver without moon clips? Not
No one is going to convince me that there is a more versatile caliber than the 38 SA.
Even if I have to found a gun factory to build a 3 inch revolver similar to 856 in that caliber, and a polymer pistol similar to a G3 or TH also in 38 SA, I will have it

Registered
Can you use .40 in a revolver without moon clips? Not
No one is going to convince me that there is a more versatile caliber than the 38 SA.
Even if I have to found a gun factory to build a 3 inch revolver similar to 856 in that caliber, and a polymer pistol similar to a G3 or TH also in 38 SA, I will have it
It's 100% clear you didn't even try the weblink I provided for the Charter Arms Pit Bull #74020 because here's a copy & paste from that web page that's in bold larger font right smack dab in the Charter Arms product description. I'll paste it for you here.

(No moon clips required)

But what on earth does Charter Arms know about their products in the face of such expert denial. I assume you own a Charter Arms #74020 recolver and firsthand tried firing that revolver loaded with the 40 S&W Charter Arms chambered this revolver for, without moon clips, except you personally were unable to get that revolver to function without using moon clips?

Post up some photos of you doing that to share with the rest of us.

Registered
Well as the 38 Auto (super) was at one time the most powerful and desired cartridge for law enforcement here, BUT was pretty much replaced at the invent of the 357 mag I think that says a lot as to power, although not capacity.
revolvers have advanced to the point that they can use 38 spl Plus p and of course the 38 Auto also was improved to use the 38 SUPER, so both are a lot more powerful with those cartridges now.
Myself I will take the 38 Super auto over the 38 spl everyday, but thats just me.
as for a revolver in 38 Super--well again no interest for me at all.
I do agree that IF Glock would produce a model in 38 Super it would become mainstream quickly--I mean look what it did for the 45 GAP!

Hand Vertebrate World Product Organ

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Zorg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well as the 38 Auto (super) was at one time the most powerful and desired cartridge for law enforcement here, BUT was pretty much replaced at the invent of the 357 mag I think that says a lot as to power, although not capacity.
revolvers have advanced to the point that they can use 38 spl Plus p and of course the 38 Auto also was improved to use the 38 SUPER, so both are a lot more powerful with those cartridges now.
Myself I will take the 38 Super auto over the 38 spl everyday, but thats just me.
as for a revolver in 38 Super--well again no interest for me at all.
I do agree that IF Glock would produce a model in 38 Super it would become mainstream quickly--I mean look what it did for the 45 GAP!
I think it's unfair to compare the 38 super with the 45 GAP, but we have our freedom (or should have) for that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts