Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guns and ammo did a nice writeup on the Taurus Curve, and I thought I would do a summary overview on that article. It was written by Patrick Sweeney, who is and has been a very credible gunwriter for many years.

I really enjoyed reading this article, it answered alot of questions about the gun that I had.

I'll list some of the traits of the gun, in no particular order:

1. Every would-be corner is radiused - there are virtually no sharp edges on the gun. He says that in some regards, it's more like holding a black bar of soap than a gun.

2. There is no magazine release button. Changing the magazine is a two-handed proposition, holding the gun in one hand and squeezing the magazine at the bottom to release it.

3. The thumb and forefinger recesses don't fit everybody, or everybody's style of holding a gun, but are there if you care to use it.

4. The Curve has a fairly long, but pretty smooth, DAO hammer in the receiver. It does not have double-strike capability.

5. There IS a magazine safety. It will not fire with the magazine out of the gun.

6. The magazine is not curved. It holds 6 rounds. I seriously doubt there is any plan for extended mags, so I wouldn't bother asking.

7. Apparently, on the test unit provided, the magazine is marked "Made in Brazil", the frame is marked "Made in USA", and the slide is marked "Miami FL". So, don't ask where the gun is made.

8. There is a loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide.

9. There are no sights on top of the gun per se. The sights are a trio of lines on the back of the slide, that you impose onto your target ala Jim Cirillo's method. Needless to say, this puts further emphasis on the laser sight.

10. Since the pistol is a locked breech, and not a blowback, the trigger pull is much lighter, which will make it more useable to the ladies.

11. The gun comes with a holster that makes the print look more like a cell phone than a gun. The holster has a string on the bottom of it, which is tied off on your belt, then the whole thing tucked into your pants as IWB. Then, when the gun is drawn, you keep pulling up until the gun clears the holster, as you pull the gun out of it. The holster comes out of your pants, but stays behind.

12. At this time, the gun is only going to be available for rightys.

Much of this is new to me, but that isn't saying much because I knew almost nothing about the gun before I read this article. It sounds like an interesting concept, and the price point seems almost too good to be true, when you factor in the laser and light.

I'm not saying that the items I listed are attributes, in fact I see one or two as something that would count in the negative ledger if I were considering the purchase of one. This post is simply an attempt to get facts out there, to dispel the speculation that seems to be swirling around this new Tauri.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Thanks for the insight, some good information.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Good info.

I have found over time that when most magazines review a new gun, it basically goes like this:

"We tested a new gun today. When we opened the box, it was the best looking gun ever!
When we picked it up, it was the best feeling gun ever!
When we dropped the magazine, it was the best magazine dropping gun ever. When we shot it, it was the best shooting gun ever!
When we accidentally dropped it, it was the best accidentally dropped gun ever!
We can't wait to buy one ourselves because it is the best gun ever!"

Know what I mean? Don't know if they are total butt kissing suck up or just worried they might make somebody mad with honesty and constructive criticism.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the laser on you wouldn't need a sight.
I think that was the point he conveyed in the article.....you can use the line sights, but why?

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Having shot this gun, I would agree with everything except Item 6. The folks at Taurus specifically said that during development and testing the magazine needed to be modified to fit and function smoothly with the Curves frame.

This gun will be manufactured entirely in the USA, according to Taurus.

One final note about the holster that comes with the gun. Some people seem to think that because this gun comes with a holster unique to the Curve that this is the only holster option available. It is not. You can carry this gun in a conventional CCW holster made for the Curve, or a pocket holster as well. Taurus just wanted to give owners the option of not having to purchase an additional holster in order to carry this gun.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having shot this gun, I would agree with everything except Item 6. The folks at Taurus specifically said that during development and testing the magazine needed to be modified to fit and function smoothly with the Curves frame.

This gun will be manufactured entirely in the USA, according to Taurus.

One final note about the holster that comes with the gun. Some people seem to think that because this gun comes with a holster unique to the Curve that this is the only holster option available. It is not. You can carry this gun in a conventional CCW holster made for the Curve, or a pocket holster as well. Taurus just wanted to give owners the option of not having to purchase an additional holster in order to carry this gun.

Great info Skiff. Thanks for the clarification. And, I figured that at some point, it would be manufactured in one place.

Reactions: chicagotrauma

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Stop it with all these good reports! I am starting to take interest and that ain't right!:shocked::D:D

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
7. Apparently, on the test unit provided, the magazine is marked "Made in Brazil", the frame is marked "Made in USA", and the slide is marked "Miami FL". So, don't ask where the gun is made.
Apparently made by elves in the Black Forrest, which might account for it's shape. ;)

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
The curve is the ultimate pocket .380 IMHO except for one little thing, I would prefer it to have some sort of accurate, if minimal, sights. Lasers don't do well in bright sunlight and I don't like trusting batteries or electronics at any rate. One COULD have it dovetailed, though, for the rather excellent Novak sights I have on my NAA Black Widow. They would NOT hang on anything and would be a huge bonus IMHO.

Pistol smiths go to great links to "melt" guns for carry, especially pocket carry. The term refers to radiusing sharp edges and anything that could cause irritation to the skin or hang on the draw. The Curve has this as its primary design consideration. I'm betting it'd fit wonderfully in a back pocket and even without a holster, it would print like a wallet.

Another design that's perfect for pocket carry is the lack of a button for magazine release. I've had the mag release when I leaned against something. Stopped that on my Kel Tec 9 with a Hogue hand all that keeps the button from being pushed unintentionally the way it fits the gun right up to the mag release and protects from inadvertent application of that button. A pocket pistol should have a heal clip or other type of release and the Curve seems to have that addressed nicely.

Now, they need to make one in 9mm. :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I was told by the VP and one of the head engineers that it would all be made in USA and have sights. The one I tried had a long trigger pull, so long the frame kinda got in the way. They said that they had some final changes to make and they were going to mill down that area. It weighed slightly more than a TCP. Had less recoil. And had beefier slide. Pretty cool pistol

·
Registered
36,087 Posts
Good info.

I have found over time that when most magazines review a new gun, it basically goes like this:
"We tested a new gun today. When we opened the box, it was the best looking gun ever!
When we picked it up, it was the best feeling gun ever!
When we dropped the magazine, it was the best magazine dropping gun ever. When we shot it, it was the best shooting gun ever!
When we accidentally dropped it, it was the best accidentally dropped gun ever!
We can't wait to buy one ourselves because it is the best gun ever!"

Know what I mean? Don't know if they are total butt kissing suck up or just worried they might make somebody mad with honesty and constructive criticism.
Well kind of like the White House press asking hard questions.
if you don't play nice you might not get an invitation to do another interview for that company.
No saying that is the case here but there is quite a large percentage of great reviews on new weapons
ahhh remember the Remington R-51?

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I'm still looking to be a guinea pig with the Curve, hopefully I can get my hands on one when the first come out.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I was told by the VP and one of the head engineers that it would all be made in USA and have sights. The one I tried had a long trigger pull, so long the frame kinda got in the way. They said that they had some final changes to make and they were going to mill down that area. It weighed slightly more than a TCP. Had less recoil. And had beefier slide. Pretty cool pistol
No foolin'? Can't wait to see that. :D Personally, I much prefer a LONG DA pull on a pocket auto. Being a revolver shooter from way back, me and DA are good. :D My Kel Tec P11 is wonderful. People who only shoot single action or Glock think it sucks. To each his own, but I've never heard of Kel Tec leg. :D

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Thanks for the article review. Out of all those points the only negative for me is the magazine safety, I don't like those. its not a deal killer though. In fact this is the first and only .380 I have ever even considered.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Yeah, I really prefer no mag safeties, too. But, like you say, not a deal breaker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts