Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Electronic Ignition Bullets the future of weapons not only for military use but civilian as well? An interesting video to say the least and possibly a topic we may hear and discuss later down the road.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Interesting stuff. The handgun though I'm wondering if the first bullets are less accurate than the last since they're further along the barrel than the last.

·
Registered
548 Posts
OMFG that is BADASS!!! That is hands down the coolest thing Ive ever seen and would for sure be the ultimate zombie killer!!!

I dont think I need to say this but...I WANT ONE!!!!

Reactions: btleslie

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The technology in modern weaponry never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Awesome man, great post, but i like the bullets that go round corners and up and down to, i wonder if they can combine the two

GREAT VID THANKS

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Metal storm's been around for about 5 years now.

The biggest problem with getting new technology like this on the street is making it affordable.

Just a few yearrs ago one of my sons bought a 50' Big Screen TV for $3,500.

In 2110 I bought a 50' updated LCD digital version of the same model on sale for $705 OTD.

Maybe in a couple of years wez'll see a polymer hand held version on the market.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Interesting stuff. The handgun though I'm wondering if the first bullets are less accurate than the last since they're further along the barrel than the last.
When you have that many bullets flying at you, accuracy is probably the last thing on your mind.

·
Registered
619 Posts
OK but,, if the rounds are loaded in the barrel, how many rounds can it hold. The gun pictured might hold 15-20 per barrel? Not much for an advancing enemy.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
OK but,, if the rounds are loaded in the barrel, how many rounds can it hold. The gun pictured might hold 15-20 per barrel? Not much for an advancing enemy.
Agreed, I wonder how the reload goes or if they were to design it with rotating barrels like a Gatling gun to increase firepower.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I think magnetically propelled projectiles will be the future of weapons, once the technology is made affordable, reliable, and performs with minimal failure percentage. Imagine a handgun that can shoot a large caliber projectile at 2,000 fps or faster, with no bang and very little recoil if any.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Metal Storm appears to be an answer to a question that was never asked. It looks neat, sounds neat, but how is it an improvement over other weapons we already have? The only useful application I have seen for it was as a one time use device for repelling an attack on truck convoys, like an MRAP. Even then the one time use made its usefulness limited.

Neither the demo, nor other demonstrations I have seen, address reloading at all, so I wonder if that is an issue, or it is a one time use disposable weapon.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It's sort of a modern day version of the Phalanax system. I like the idea but have always wondered about the reloads as well.

Sarge

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Replacement for the Phalanx, or CIWS, is most likely to be one of the new laser systems. Several now have demonstrated knocking out mortar rounds out past 3,0000 M which is at least double the range of CIWS. Mortar rounds are actually harder to take out than incoming anti-ship missiles. I'm no longer playing in that arena so I am not up to date on what the current plans are. But in any case, range is the real issue with CIWS (and C-RAM) and Metal Storm does not increase that over the 20mm Phalanx.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
On a different front, CVA has a muzzleloader that uses a piezo electric spark to ignite a charge. Want to talk about a glass rod trigger!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Metalstorm has been proposed for use as an airborne weapon as well.
Can you imagine a million rounds a minute raining down on a troop position?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I've got to say I'm still skeptical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts