Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rule Number One: All Guns Are Loaded!

COLUMBIA, Tenn. - A Maury County man is in jail for accidentally shooting his friend while the pair was playing with handguns they purchased just hours earlier.

What's worse, detectives say there were three children, all under the age of four, just feet away.

The weapon, a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson, discharged Tuesday morning, according to Maury County Detective Terry Dial.

"They were having a contest to see who could break [them] down the fastest," Dial told Nashville's News 2 Investigates. "The only problem is, you need to unload them before you start breaking them down."

According to Det. Dial, James Chambers and Justin Craig purchased the guns just hours earlier but didn't take a safety class and were unfamiliar with the weapons.

"If you are going to buy a gun, then you need to go to a gun safety class to learn how to handle and discharge a weapon," he said, adding neither Chambers nor Craig previously owned a gun to his knowledge.

He continued, "They bought them, loaded the magazines up and were playing around with them."

Dial said Chambers and Craig were seated next to each other on a small couch in a tiny trailer. Two small children were seated at their feet and another toddler was in a woman's arm nearby.

Chambers was shot in the side and rushed to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville where he underwent emergency surgery. He was listed in critical condition Tuesday evening.

Craig was arrested and charged with five counts of reckless endangerment with a weapon. Each count carries a $10,000 bond.

He declined an interview from jail.

The Tennessee Department of Children's Services is investigating the incident.

·
Registered
612 Posts
jebus.. I feel a change in the winds coming.

hmm 40 smith.. sigma I betcha..

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Seems to me that it's self policing the gene pool. Too bad the kids had to witness it.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Administrator
40,095 Posts
Something tells me, the safety class the detective thought they should have taken, wouldn't have helped these two all that much!

·
Registered
612 Posts
When I got my first handgun. I wasn't exactly scared of it more like recognized and respected it's capability's. First thing I did when I got it home.. Took the manual into the can (where I do all my serious reading.) and read it! twice!! I had burritos for lunch that day.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Good grief. How foolish. Here's hoping he's convicted of a felony so he can't have a gun.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
You can't stop stupid, you can't legislate away stupid, you can't expect fines to prevent stupid.

I don't get these issues. I don't want to sound like I'm backing these clowns, but I think the punishment is just a money generator for the local government. A $50,000 bond is outrageous and then CPS want's to nose their way into the issue. This guy's life is ruined for who knows how long and next comes CPS that tends to plant seeds of sedition against parents so the kids are likely to become messed up worse than daddy.

Great.

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
I started counting the rules of safe firearm handling and had to get the calculator out. Thank God the kids weren't hurt.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
There is not a pill they can take or a book they can read, you can't fix stupid....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
"Inside a small trailer" may be the key words we are looking for in this story.

Reactions: Divebum

·
Registered
5,375 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Sometimes the gene pool misses an opprotunity to get thinned

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It's hard for me to understand it when something like this happens. However, I grew up in the home of a career Air Force NCO, and served in the Army myself, so respect for firearms and range control are like second nature. I wish it were so for more people!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
This is definitely a case of stupid is as stupid does. I suspect that the local DA will amend the charges once the guy that got shot either dies or gets better. On the surface of the issue it would seem that the charges do not fit the nature of the accident, but local laws are very different between states, so it is hard to say. If reckless endangerment is a misdemeanor in Tennessee, then the charges are probably appropriate.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is why you have a father who teaches you to respect firearms when you are young. So you don't act like a kid with them when you are an adult!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Poor kids.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts