Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a couple boxes ammo at wally World the other day. Paid for the ammo at the gun counter then shopped around for a few more items. Was asked nary a question when I got the ammo but was asked my birthdate when checking out at the front counter. I asked what prompted the birthdate question, since I had already paid for the ammo, and was told the REPLACEMENT RUBBER BAND FOR MY CROSS MARKSMAN WRIST SLINGSHOT had prompted the question!! Had forgotten I had picked it up but was surprised it had prompted the BD question yet have never been asked squat for all the ammo I have bought there.......

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
That kind of stuff probably depends on the cashier. Sometimes I get carded for beer/ammo sometimes I don't. You probably got one of those types that cards everyone for everything.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My experience with WalMart asking for age is that the computer system tells them when to card you. If you are checking out using a selfserve terminal, it will lock up on age restricted items until store personnel clear it. It is amazing what items have been subjected to age restriction legislation.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Bought a couple boxes ammo at wally World the other day. Paid for the ammo at the gun counter then shopped around for a few more items. Was asked nary a question when I got the ammo but was asked my birthdate when checking out at the front counter. I asked what prompted the birthdate question, since I had already paid for the ammo, and was told the REPLACEMENT RUBBER BAND FOR MY CROSS MARKSMAN WRIST SLINGSHOT had prompted the question!! Had forgotten I had picked it up but was surprised it had prompted the BD question yet have never been asked squat for all the ammo I have bought there.......
Were you wearing your hoodie? Were you wearing your pants a little low, were you smoking something, drinking a bottle of Thunderbird?

·
Super Moderator
37,017 Posts
It's just a good thing you weren't buying antihistamine! You may have been stripped searched.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
My experience with WalMart asking for age is that the computer system tells them when to card you. If you are checking out using a selfserve terminal, it will lock up on age restricted items until store personnel clear it. It is amazing what items have been subjected to age restriction legislation.
I am in my 60's, but about 2 years ago I was buying some Chateau Walmart red wine in a box for making some Sangria for a party. The young lady asked for my ID. I told her my underwear was over 21, but she insisted on seeing my ID because I was buying wine, and the screen on her register said "ID Required". I carry my DL in my badge wallet, and she glanced at my gold badge as I showed her my DL. I asked her how old was she, and was she old enough to sell wine?

She said that she was 17, and appearing very concerned, asked if that was a problem.

I smiled at her, said nothing, paid for the wine, and walked out.

·
Super Moderator
37,017 Posts
I am in my 60's, but about 2 years ago I was buying some Chateau Walmart red wine in a box for making some Sangria for a party. The young lady asked for my ID. I told her my underwear was over 21, but she insisted on seeing my ID because I was buying wine, and the screen on her register said "ID Required". I carry my DL in my badge wallet, and she glanced at my gold badge as I showed her my DL. I asked her how old was she, and was she old enough to sell wine?

She said that she was 17, and appearing very concerned, asked if that was a problem.

I smiled at her, said nothing, paid for the wine, and walked out.
I actually like the idea of everyone showing ID for liquor and cigarettes as it makes it easier for the clerks if "one size fits all". Of course since I don't drink or smoke anymore it's not my ox being gored.

I did used to laugh at some states that required that an underage cashier have the customer push the "sale" button on the register as a way of getting around the prohibition of minors selling alcohol.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
In TN a minor selling alcohol or cigs is a arresting offense and is enforced all the time . they also card you for the same. even though I'm in the store everyday they still card me even though they know my name and have kids that are 28 years old. They get tested all the time and the fines are not just for the store they are for the employee as well.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I've been asked for my phone number when paying cash!!! I gave them the riot act! WTF!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what happened. The bar code scanned for the slingshot rubber prompted for the BD.

No hoodies on this old guy.

I have been stopped for antihistamines before - don't mind that.

I just thought the apparent overzealous oversight on a large rubber band, over, say, the 45ACP I bought in volume, was sorta funny.

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My experiences with buying ammo at Wal-Mart is that the register stops and asks if the purchaser's birthdate is older than [today's date] in [current year minus 21]. Sometimes they just hit the "yes" key so fast, I barely see the prompt on the LCD. Other times they ask for ID before they hit yes. Depends on the cashier, but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be looking at IDs, rather than glancing at the customer and guessing.

In the same theme, their policy on how to purchase seems to differ based on who's at the sporting goods counter getting the ammo out of the cabinet. I've had them: a.) tell me it will be waiting for me at register 15 when I'm done with my other shopping, b.) have me purchase it at the sporting goods counter, regardless of other shopping left to do, and c.) hand it to me and let me check out at the front with my other stuff when I'm done.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
This is what happened. The bar code scanned for the slingshot rubber prompted for the BD.

No hoodies on this old guy.

I have been stopped for antihistamines before - don't mind that.

I just thought the apparent overzealous oversight on a large rubber band, over, say, the 45ACP I bought in volume, was sorta funny.
Yep, me too! Thanks for the story! :D

·
10,379 Posts
If they ask you phone number again tell them 867-5309, and see where that goes..
LoL sounds like the Zip code I give to the Farm & Fleet cashiers. 12345...it's some place in NY.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
You could put your eye out with one of them things. :eek:

Who all have been to the convenience store to buy cigs or alcohol and when they scan it the register goes "Uh Oh" in the little kids voice. It would drive me nuts if I had to listen to that all day.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
10,379 Posts
You could put your eye out with one of them things. :eek:

Who all have been to the convenience store to buy cigs or alcohol and when they scan it the register goes "Uh Oh" in the little kids voice. It would drive me nuts if I had to listen to that all day.
I heard that for the first time a couple months ago when I was in Memphis. I kinda looked around to see who could possibly be on ICQ in this day and age.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts