Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In spite of the fact that I've heard that these PT92's are some of the most reliable firearms ever mine doesn't seem to be. It makes me kind of sad. From everything that I've read people have success with all kinds of ammo. Mine acts kind of funky.

I bought a 9mm because I wanted to shoot it a lot. I'm not made of money so I figured I would get the firearm that corresponded with the most affordable ammo. Then I came to find out that self defense ammo for 9mm is comparable to other calibers anyway. I have a small amount of defense ammo that I keep loaded but otherwise this thing is shooting the cheapest ammo that I can find.

I've shot about 150 rounds of Federal's cheapest offering through it without any troubles. Then I bought some cheap ammo (100 rounds) from this shady little local gun shop. It just had the caliber marked on a blank box. The guy said it was top quality FMJ. Of course it looked like any other FMJ. With that ammo I had several 'light strikes'. I also noticed that a lot of the cases wouldn't fly very far. Some of them would go straight up. I had a couple 'failure to extract' (the empty case stayed in the chamber and the slide stripped the next round). Then I've also had a couple rounds where the slide didn't return to battery. In those cases the slide seemed to be about 1/5 of the length of the case open. I had all of those problems with the white box ammo. Then I bought some reloads, 500 rounds at the local gun show, from a company that allegedly loads for ranges. Since running about 200 rounds of that ammo I've only had the battery problem but the cases still seem to go straight up some times.

Everything looks normal on the gun. I've always made sure that it is really clean behind the extractor and the ejector doesn't look off in any way. Does anyone have any insight or ideas of things that I should look at?

I have a little Kel-Tec PF9 and I find it ironic that it has been much more reliable than the Taurus.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I would dare to bet that your shady little gun shop dealer, sold you his or someone else's reloads. Bad juju. I only shoot commercially remanufactured rounds (basically commercial reloads) anymore, before that I only bought ammo that came in a known manufacturers box that was still sealed/had not been open.

I'd take that ammo back and ask who manufactured it. If he says ol' boy down the street, demand a full refund in cash or known quality ammo.

If that fails, lesson learned I suppose, buy known quality manufacturer ammo only

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I'll stand pat on Taurus & Beretta 92's being the most reliable service sized 9mm's extant.

Anybody that thinks their's is junk is welcome to PM me for a shipping address to send it to for adoption.

I'll take all the rejects and post a video on how well they work.

Most problems with quality semiautos can be traced to bad ammo, poor maintainance, bad magazines and..."pilot error".

As you can tell, I feel about "guns" how many folks feel about "dogs"; treat em right and they're friends for a life time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
To the OP. I am worried that you shot ammo out of your gun that is considered out of spec. Also you haven't told us if you purchased said AFS used or new. My recommendation to either A) call Taurus to get your gun looked at. Or B tell us if you purchased it used or not. If the firearm is used then it has a highly questionable history.

I suspect the following if it is a used firearm.
Damage to the ejector/extractor
Springs worn out (this might explain the failure to chamber)
Worn magazines.

That being said, you might be a gunsmith who is very knowledgeable on the 92 series. If the firearm is new I recommend using the warranty and sending it to Taurus detailing all issues and how many rounds it typical takes to reproduce said issue.

I'm with Moondawg. If you want to simply throw the gun away. Please i'll take shipment of it through my local FFL. I have two and would welcome a 3rd with open arms.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Sounds to me like the problems came from the junk ammo. I will shoot the cheapo factory stuff in my handguns, but I don't mess with the "factory" relaods. Ammo is reasonable enough that I don't need to waste my time on that stuff.......

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
A great gun will still choke on junk ammo. And it sounds like you are feeding your gun a steady diet of junk ammo and then trying to blame the gun. The cheapest I will buy is bulk Winchester USA (which is what most people call "Winchester White Box / WWB) or the Remington UMC bulk yellow boxed ammo. Both are known to be spotty and dirty. They have that 99% of the time thing with being just great and then that one cartridge out of a thousand isn't seated right or something. Wal-Mart sells that stuff by the truck load. Then there is the steel case stuff like Tula, Wolf, and several more. I don't bother with it only because I save my brass for reloading, but I place steel case ammo a notch under the cheap bulk US made stuff. Some guns won't feed the steel cases or the extractor won't grab them. Don't know as I haven't tried any. And yes, the cheap Federal works just fine as well.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you bought the 92 NIB, you probably need a thorough cleaning. However, considering it was fine with the Federal ammo, I'd suggest you change the title of this thread from "Funky PT92AFS" to "Junky Ammo in PT92AFS". If you put bad gas in a Ferrari, you get a Yugo. And, you should have your license revoked. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
The slide being open all the way around does allow the casings to fly randomly sometimes. I've had a few come straight back and hit me! The extractor is on the right side so it usually does go the right but not always. That's normal. All of my pistols do that at least once in a while.

Quality doesn't come cheap. Think of it this way; you pay $400 give or take for the gun so why be cheap with the ammo? I used to think 5.56x45 was expensive but I put it all in perspective by adding up how I spent building my rifle (about $2100) and .30-.40 a round doesn't seem so bad anymore. As far as brands go, I've shot Speer Lawman, Silver Bear, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, American Eagle, Remington UMC and Winchester without any problems. Silver Bear is good, inexpensive ammo. I shot 100 rounds rapid fire through my 92 to test it and then another couple hundred over the last few range trips with ZERO problems. Your thumbs will get dirty while loading the mags but I didn't notice the pistols were any dirtier than usual. Having said that, if you're paying more than $12-13 a box for 9x19 FMJ, you're getting ripped off. I got 500 rounds of S&B 9x19 115 grain FMJ from Natchezss.com for like $110 shipped. Try some reputable ammo and your 92 will probably be fine.

·
Administrator
17,670 Posts
Another consideration that many people forget is to clean your Magazines really really well!

As far as Ammunition quality goes, often you really do get what you pay for! That said, you can get reasonable quality for a reasonable price, but you will have to shop for it. I like the Federal Champion, CCI Blazer Brass, and Magtech for Factory Ammo, but there are other good choices.

Now, I do try to stay with quality ammunition in my handguns and I have tried some Mil-Surp Ammo with varying degrees of success. The only Reloads my PT92 has seen have been either Factory Reloads or my own Reloads (made en masse on my Dillon XL650). My PT92 has been the most forgiving of handguns in the Ammo department. Moreso than any other 9mm handgun in my extensive inventory.

That said, there's some ammo even a PT92 may choke on! (And any other 9mm handgun for that matter.) In my Reloads, I found that some Aguila brand 9mm Brass had some case heads that were way out of spec. During a Range session, my GF's Ruger KP95 was choking occasionally and also my 9mm 24/7 on MY reloads. This was of course disturbing to me. Took that batch of ammo home and got out my Max Case Size gauge out and started testing. Found the culprit Aguila Brass and separated it out. Decided to go back to the Range with my PT92 with the suspect Ammunition and let loose on the Range with it. It fed and fired MOST of it, but not all of it. That which would not work ( about 5 of 100) had their Bullets pulled and powder salvaged. Primers were deactivated by Oil and the Brass tossed into the brass recycling at our Range. Whenever I encounter that particular brand of Brass, I always pass on it or get rid of it.

Now I've fired suspect Egyptian Mil-Surp, German Mil-Surp, Tula, Brown Bear, Standard Military Issue M882 Ball, a whole host of different Hollow Points, and Lead Semi-Wadctters that make a lot of handguns choke. My PT92 has run them all and mostly without issue. One day, for Military Police Reserve Training (we were short of Beretta M9's), our local reservists borrowed my PT92 at our Range and put over 2000 rounds thru it without cleaning it and without a problem. It was pretty grungy when I brought it home that day, but it worked ALL day long!

Take care of your PT92 and it WILL do it's job, and do it very well!

Reactions: GLHunter

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I were a gambling man, I'd say its junk ammo. Try firing another hundred rounds of some quality stuff through it and see if it happens again. Then you'll have your answer.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If it shoots and ejects Federal 9mm FMJs without a hitch, then that's what I'd use.

If there was something "wrong" with your PT92, it would malfunction with any and all ammo you tried.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL, I'm certainly not getting rid of my 92. I really like the gun. Even if all of my friends rib me about it being so pretty. I'm kind of low on the reloads that I've been using so I think I'll try buying some Federal or CCI from one of the big Internet retailers or just watch for a deal at Cabela's or Walmart.

I haven't had the 92 out for a while. It just sits on my nightstand. I've been steadily feeding the reloads to my Kel-Tec. I take it every time I go shooting because I suck with it and I'm trying to get better. So I make myself put 50 rounds through it every time I make it out. I think it has actually surpassed the round count of the 92 which I've had for a little while longer.

I bought my PT92AFS NIB from my LGS. It carries a lifetime warranty through them and, naturally, it has one through Taurus anyway. If I'm not satisfied with it when I take it out next time I'll take it in and see what they think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, the update on this thread has been slow. I haven't been buying a ton of 9mm recently. I've been taking my .22s out lately. Last time I went out shooting I took my PT92. I was really happy to have it out there. I put 50 PMC through it. Not one single problem.

My Kel-Tec consumed the last of the cheap reloads. It didn't mind them but it has a tiny super light slide. I was so digusted with that ammo I gave the ammo box it was in to my buddy. I had to get rid of that bad mojo.

Now I'm thinking of trying to use the PT92 for IDPA. I kinda think it's too big but I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Now I'm thinking of trying to use the PT92 for IDPA. I kinda think it's too big but I'm going to try it.
I use my PT 99 for IDPA and it works great. I have never shot reloads but I have used the cheapest commercial stuff I can find and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Sorry, the update on this thread has been slow. I haven't been buying a ton of 9mm recently. I've been taking my .22s out lately. Last time I went out shooting I took my PT92. I was really happy to have it out there. I put 50 PMC through it. Not one single problem.

My Kel-Tec consumed the last of the cheap reloads. It didn't mind them but it has a tiny super light slide. I was so digusted with that ammo I gave the ammo box it was in to my buddy. I had to get rid of that bad mojo.

I don't have a PT92 so I can't address that side of it but I have used the PMC, in 9mm, .45cal, and .223 and it has always been good range ammo. The Seller & Bellot is good stuff too and both can be had at reasonable prices by shopping around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a new funk.

Today I was out at the range and I ran 100 rounds through the 92. It was fun and the only hiccup was when one of my older mags made the slide stay back when there was 1 round left. Then after that round the slide didn't lock back. I should have marked the mag. I have two stainless 15 round mags and it was one of those. That incident isn't the point of this post.

The real problem I have developed is the mag release. Some how it's pivoting in it's hole. Once is pivots a little bit it's not functional. I noticed this when, after a couple of mags, I couldn't depress the release. I figured that the mag had malfunctioned some way and started trying to push/tug on it while pressing the button to get it to release. That didn't work so I decided to look closely at the button. That's when I noticed that it had turned just a little bit. I turned it back and it worked fine.

Looking closely at it, it looks like the button shouldn't be able to stick out far enough to pivot. It's like mine is sticking out 1 or 2 mm too far.

I'm going to try taking it out. I know it can be turned around for ambi use and there are instructions on how to take it out. So I'll try taking it out and see what I can see.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I would try going back to the Federal ammo to see if the problems still exist, if not then I would say you got some reloaded ammo from the LGS cranked out by someone in their basement that should not be reloading in the first place, if they put out crap like that!

I have purchased reloaded ammo at gun shows, but only from reliable reloaders that I know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 100 rounds of ammo I ran today didn't give me any trouble. It was more of the cheap stuff. PMC Bronze FMJ and Federal FMJ.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts