Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really think this qualifies as "smithing" but here goes anyway!

Today I decided to use the lacquer stix I bought over a year ago. Back when I ordered I thought the order was for a white and a black stick but I received a white and red. No worries I didn't take the time to chase down the problem. The stix are inexpensive and not worth the time.

So anyway I decided to gussy up both my M&P Sports.

P1000907.jpg

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Looking good!! Lacquer stix - heated I assume. Flame or a heat gun?!?! Never done a color fill before - might be nail polish depending. :)

That reminds me - I have an 80% lower running with NO safety indication at all!
I'm thinking a red and white dot, drilled and filled - AND some sort of I.D. number UNDER the grip so as not to be found and removed if the gun is ever lost/stolen!!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used these. No heat required.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...color-fill-sticks/lacquer-stik--prod7778.aspx

Just fill the void. Let sit for a few minutes. Then I used a credit card to take off the heaviest stuff. Then I used lacquer thinner and t-shirt material to gently wipe off the excess. It took several wipes to get it done. Plus it seemed like the lacquer thinner kind of "grayed" the black. Once I felt the area was fairly clean I just put a dap of gun oil on a rag and gently wiped it over the area and then wiped with a dry rag and all was good with the world again!

After the fact I did read the label on the stick and it says to use "mineral oil" to clean up excess on rough surfaces. What? read the directions?! pppffft! :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That's right, Real men don't need no stinkin directions:D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Bah - mineral oil, mineral spirits, Hoppes #9 — I bet it's all good!! :)

Considering my job will take about one millionth of a stick I'll probably get creative - lord knows we have art materials collected over years around the house!!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Oh, and it's bbbeeeuuuttttiiiiffffuuuullll

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I used these. No heat required.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...color-fill-sticks/lacquer-stik--prod7778.aspx

Just fill the void. Let sit for a few minutes. Then I used a credit card to take off the heaviest stuff. Then I used lacquer thinner and t-shirt material to gently wipe off the excess. It took several wipes to get it done. Plus it seemed like the lacquer thinner kind of "grayed" the black. Once I felt the area was fairly clean I just put a dap of gun oil on a rag and gently wiped it over the area and then wiped with a dry rag and all was good with the world again!

After the fact I did read the label on the stick and it says to use "mineral oil" to clean up excess on rough surfaces. What? read the directions?! pppffft! :)
Same thing I used when I was building golf clubs. Just like a crayon, only different. : )

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bah - mineral oil, mineral spirits, Hoppes #9 — I bet it's all good!! :)

Considering my job will take about one millionth of a stick I'll probably get creative - lord knows we have art materials collected over years around the house!!
Actually, if you want I can mail mine to you. Plus I have a hefty little bag of short .223 brass to send to you if interested.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Actually, if you want I can mail mine to you. Plus I have a hefty little bag of short .223 brass to send to you if interested.
Did it harden well?! You could cut a wafer off and put it into foil.

What brass could you use in trade?
1 in spec .223 for 2 short ones?
1:1 - 9, 40, 45, 38spcl, 380??? In 9 & 40 I have nickle plated...

Mix-n-match!!!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did it harden well?! You could cut a wafer off and put it into foil.

What brass could you use in trade?
1 in spec .223 for 2 short ones?
1:1 - 9, 40, 45, 38spcl, 380??? In 9 & 40 I have nickle plated...

Mix-n-match!!!
Actually I have some .40 I'll send you too. I don't shoot .40. I guess spec .223 would be the most useful to me. I have a few cans of 9mm and .45.

There's a good idea. I'll just cut off a chunk of the stick. Do you want both colors?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Coloring looks good, I want to do that so some of mine.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I have some tools that I would like to do this to, like a punch set I just picked up and it's hard to read the sizes. Do they sell this kind of thing at any particular big box?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I can mail you a chunk of the 2 colors that I have too if you want. It doesn't take much.
Yeah - a little wafer of both would set me up.

PM sent about brass!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have some tools that I would like to do this to, like a punch set I just picked up and it's hard to read the sizes. Do they sell this kind of thing at any particular big box?
I really don't know any other places that might sell them. Maybe art supply stores? Maybe big box hardware? I just haven't look for them anywhere. This is where I bought them...
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rce=ir&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-60594

Looks like Amazon has them...
Amazon.com: lacquer stik

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I can mail you a chunk of the 2 colors that I have too if you want. It doesn't take much.
Thanks for the offer, I have a friend with enough art supplies to open their own store, she is going to hook me up.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Good idea on the punch sets. Also all those screw driver bits that are hard to read.

Reactions: mingaa
1 - 20 of 21 Posts