Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a full length guide rod. No issues with it and I actually prefer it over the GI one.. no compaints with using it honestly but mine's blue. I simply want to replace with with a s/s
I was going to get the Wilson combat one, however. Since that seems to be on backorder I was looking at the EGW one..
They look different. The EGW one is much thicker at the base, like they did not mill it down like the Wilson or even my stock one?
Is there a reason for this or any cons to this design?

Wilson:
1-Piece Full Length Recoil Spring Guide Rod Recoil Spring Plug 1911 Government SS

EGW:
1-Piece Full Length Recoil Spring Guide Rod Recoil Spring Plug 1911 Government SS

I am also now leading towards the EGW extended or long spring plug because I plan to get their thicker barel bushing...
Just looking for the question above since EGW seems to be the few that don't mill the rod all the way down thin at the base...?
Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
NewShockerGuy, the EGW guide rod you are looking at will be fine. the rod is not thicker at the base,that is the spring plug slid over the guide rod in pic.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
Yep! a full length guide rod is about the nearest thing to a guaranteed 1911 drop in part that you will ever find!-LOL
as long as you get the correct length for the psitol then you should be good to go!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
NewShockerGuy, the EGW guide rod you are looking at will be fine. the rod is not thicker at the base,that is the spring plug slid over the guide rod in pic.
I was just thinking the same thing. It should have been separated from the rod like the Wilson picture, but oh well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Good catch OSO, seems that the EGW is a full one piece where as the Wilsom looks to be a two piece like the Taurus.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Yeah, there's a good picture for you to see it's 2 pieces. Even though it's a little small since my phone wouldn't grab the larger picture URL.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
It amazes me :shocked:that John Moses Browning's creation of 1911 won battles and protected hides world wide 80 of it's 101 years without a "full length guide rod".

And mere mortals
:angel: thought they could improve of this....just a thought...;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol.. good to know, I didn't want to order some off the rod guide rod.

Personally I like the full length guide rod, if nothing else it just looks cooler to me when the slide is locked. Call that silly but it is what it is..lol

Plus just because something is 100 years old doesn't necesarly mean it can't be improved..lol ( I LOVE 1911's don't get me wrong, i want to own at least 8 of them...but it's always funny to see people say in 100 years it's the perfect gun..lol)

-Nigel

·
Registered
624 Posts
lol.. good to know, I didn't want to order some off the rod guide rod.

Personally I like the full length guide rod, if nothing else it just looks cooler to me when the slide is locked. Call that silly but it is what it is..lol

Plus just because something is 100 years old doesn't necessarily mean it can't be improved..lol ( I LOVE 1911's don't get me wrong, i want to own at least 8 of them...but it's always funny to see people say in 100 years it's the perfect gun..lol)

-Nigel
Me too I think that the full length guide rod has it's advantages, it keeps the spring from binding, and makes it easier to take the slide off, remove the pin and pull off quick and simple, besides it eliminates that spring sound that the GI models have.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
It amazes me :shocked:that John Moses Browning's creation of 1911 won battles and protected hides world wide 80 of it's 101 years without a "full length guide rod".
And mere mortals
:angel: thought they could improve of this....just a thought...;)
well of course Henry Ford made the automobile nearly a 100 years ago as well, but likely not many people would want to drive around without power steering, power brakes, automatic transmission, air conditioning and other updates.
kind of like not many people enjoy getting slide bite on the web of their hand from the original 1911 either.
I'll take my modernized 1911's any day over the original 1911.
which now reminds me, I saw a super nice 1911 Luger navy model today at the range, complete with all matching parts, including the holster with the built in butt stock.
WOWeee!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts