Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I keep my mags fully loaded, or a few rounds light.
I've heard different views on the subject.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
The consensus here, seems to be that keeping them loaded fully does not cause a problem. Keeping them clean after so many rounds is important.
I keep my 9mm mags loaded fully all the time. I have noticed no difference in function. Of course, I have only had mine since last October.

·
Administrator
40,374 Posts
All my mags stay loaded to the top. Even have one thats been consistently loaded for 32 years. Flawless everytime I use it. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
some say yes some say no, i think it's in between..

i think it does weaken the springs but i also think it's a slow process..

i think cycling the springs does more wear to them then being loaded..

some people say to offload a few rounds in mags that are gonna sit for a long time.

personally what i do is just leave all my mags unloaded except 1 or 2 for the gun i currently have loaded.. i always have 1 loaded gun in the house at a time, it's either on my desk or on me.

get your self a uplula loader and you wont have to worry about when the SHTF you'll be able to load those extra mags with the quickness if you need to.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
On duty I'm required to keep all my mags "topped off". When I carry off duty it depends on what I'm carrying. If the mag has a capacity of more than 13 rounds, I'll leave one round out. Under 13 rounds and they stay filled to the top. That being said, I've never had an issue with any of my fully loaded magazines in 23 years.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Leave em loaded and full.
The only thing that wears out the spring is flexing it too often, otherwise whether the spring is extended or compressed really does not matter.
Whatever you do, don't oil them up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Loaded fully! Spring steel is some good stuff, and these guys are right, flexing too many times will wear them out more quickly than just being under a load

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm with everyone here. I have a 45 ACP and keep them fully loaded all the time and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I keep the mag in the gun and my 2 extras fully loaded with +1 in the chamber. They were made to hold that many, and i havent had any problems out of them except with hornaday JHP thats why I personally dont use them the first round would get hung up on the mag. Federal, Corbon, and DPX (JHP for all of those) never had that problem with them. But I would tell do what you feel comfortable doing, if you want to carry a few rounds less go ahead if you want to stay fully loaded by all means do which eva makes you happy.

and end rambling ;D

GaPt145

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 on the fully loaded mags.
I have always kept all of my mags fully loaded. From .22 to .45 acp they are always loaded and always will be. I have never had any problems with amy of my mags for over 20+ years. Doesnt matter what Mfg they all work just like they did when I got them.

Had an old family friend that had a 1911 mags they still carried, had ammo from Viet Nam...25 years later.
'Nuf said

·
Registered
319 Posts
Both of my MIL PROs (PT111 & PT140) I have four magazines each. I keep two mags fully loaded (one in the gun & a spare with the gun), the other two I keep empty for when I shoot out back on my pistol range. Once ever 3 or 4 months I switch the full mags for the empty mags. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts