Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a relative new comer here, I have not seen much discussion about the 17 and accuracy. My new 17 Tracker is giving me fits with regard to accuracy. At 50 feet, I cannot get the groups any smaller than 1.5 inches. I am using Hornady ammo with 17 grain V-Max which I use in my long guns as well. I am shooting from a bench rest with a 2-7x32 scope. I'm thinking it should be shooting one hole at this distance. Any one out there that can comment on this situation?
kruizer

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My 17 will shoot a dime sized holes at that range. It didnt have that accuracy at first but I have around 300 rds through it and it has gotten better with age. Might try some different ammo as 17 can vary between guns. I shoot Hornady 17 gr vmax like you out of my Taurus but my Savage likes CCI 20 gr and my Marlin likes Remington 17 gr.

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well guys and gals, I am now on the third Model 17 and still having problems. Accuracy is poor and mechanical problems (read cylinder lock up). At this point, I am going to give up on the Model 17. I have have two other Trackers in 22 LR and 357 Mag and both are tack drivers at 25 yds where the Model 17s I have had would not group any better than 3 inches at 25 yds. Not good for me so I am giving up. Taurus CS has been very cooperative with this issue but they have not resolved the issues.
kruizer

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Sorry to hear abbout the crappy accuracy.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
You'll very rarely get the best accuracy out of any weapon when it's new. New barrels have tiny little burrs that will negatively affect accuracy, and you have to run enough ammo through a barrel to deburr it. With smaller caliber rounds they're often plated rather than jacketed, and plated is a lot more like lead. And lead rounds take longer to do the deburring. You can help the process along by lapping the barrel after you've got 3-400 rounds through it. I use valve grinding compound and a jag with a patch. Put a patch on a jag that will give you a tight fit in the bore, put a little valve grinding compound on it, and run the patch all the way through from the chamber to the muzzle. Repeat the process about fifty times. It makes a difference.

The other thing to look at is the cylinder timing. Take a good look at your forcing cone, and see if you have lead build-up on one side. If the timing isn't right it could be shaving the bullet as it enters the forcing cone, deforming the projectile and killing accuracy. If you've been having problems with cylinder lockup, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem.

I can certainly understand your frustration, and giving up is always an option. Personally I just hate getting whupped by a lifeless chunk of steel. :D

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll very rarely get the best accuracy out of any weapon when it's new. New barrels have tiny little burrs that will negatively affect accuracy, and you have to run enough ammo through a barrel to deburr it. With smaller caliber rounds they're often plated rather than jacketed, and plated is a lot more like lead. And lead rounds take longer to do the deburring. You can help the process along by lapping the barrel after you've got 3-400 rounds through it. I use valve grinding compound and a jag with a patch. Put a patch on a jag that will give you a tight fit in the bore, put a little valve grinding compound on it, and run the patch all the way through from the chamber to the muzzle. Repeat the process about fifty times. It makes a difference.

The other thing to look at is the cylinder timing. Take a good look at your forcing cone, and see if you have lead build-up on one side. If the timing isn't right it could be shaving the bullet as it enters the forcing cone, deforming the projectile and killing accuracy. If you've been having problems with cylinder lockup, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem.

I can certainly understand your frustration, and giving up is always an option. Personally I just hate getting whupped by a lifeless chunk of steel. :D
Thanks for your reply. All of the above have been done and still no joy. I have a model 990 and a model 627 and both of these will shoot lights out at 25yds and all in the 10 ring at 50 yds. The model 17 in 17HMR is disappointing in that I am used to superior accuracy out of this round at longer distances and this gun has been a failure in this regard. I am hoping that Taurus will be able to get this resolved as this is the 4th attempt. I originally bought this gun in Feb of this year and the first had a manufacturing defect that could not be corrected. The second gun had accuracy and mechanical issues that Taurus felt could not be corrected. The third gun has been back to Taurus once and not corrected. This will be the second trip for this gun as it was not corrected on the last trip. I hope you can understand why I am just about ready to give up.
kruizer

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I hope you can understand why I am just about ready to give up.
No doubt I understand. Especially after the third pistol. I didn't realize you'd had it replaced twice already. If they keep picking up the postage and replacing guns, I'd probably keep sending 'em back to Taurus. Sooner or later they're bound to get it right. I have had issues with pistols before, and sometimes it makes you feel like the young man who was sitting on a curb hitting himself in the head with a rock. Another fella showed up and said "why do you keep hitting yourself with a rock?" And the young man replied "because it feels so good when I stop." :D I hope CS gets it right this time.

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No doubt I understand. Especially after the third pistol. I didn't realize you'd had it replaced twice already. If they keep picking up the postage and replacing guns, I'd probably keep sending 'em back to Taurus. Sooner or later they're bound to get it right. I have had issues with pistols before, and sometimes it makes you feel like the young man who was sitting on a curb hitting himself in the head with a rock. Another fella showed up and said "why do you keep hitting yourself with a rock?" And the young man replied "because it feels so good when I stop." :D I hope CS gets it right this time.
Thanks for the good wishes. It is my sincere hope that sooner or later I will have a Model 17 that can shoot out a dime at 50 yds
kruizer

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got an E-mail this morning that tells me it is going to be 6 weeks before they get to look at it. This all started in Feb 2012 and it will be six weeks til it gets back? ARRRGGH.
kruizer

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked to CS this morning and was assured that my gun is in the repair supervisor's hands and they don't know how long it will be before they make a determination as to what they are going to do. I have two other Taurus revolvers that don't have any issues. This Model 17 has sure been a frustration to me and I sincerely hope Taurus can get this business ironed out.
kruizer

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Talked to CS this morning and was assured that my gun is in the repair supervisor's hands and they don't know how long it will be before they make a determination as to what they are going to do. I have two other Taurus revolvers that don't have any issues. This Model 17 has sure been a frustration to me and I sincerely hope Taurus can get this business ironed out.
kruizer
Ask for a credit towards a different model Taurus.

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 17 will shoot a dime sized holes at that range. It didnt have that accuracy at first but I have around 300 rds through it and it has gotten better with age. Might try some different ammo as 17 can vary between guns. I shoot Hornady 17 gr vmax like you out of my Taurus but my Savage likes CCI 20 gr and my Marlin likes Remington 17 gr.
ccviper
I am curious, How old is your M17. I understand that the older ones are much more accurate than the latest production. That may be the issue in this case. I am told by my LGD that the older model 17 is capable of shooting good groups at 100 yds.
kruizer

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I could double check but not totally sure. I bought it about 3 years ago from my LGS

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you buy new or used?

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my model 17 back last week and made a beeline to the range to test. Not good. Groups about the same after the barrel was replaced. Now I have a gun with two serial numbers it still shoots badly. Going back to Miami for the fourth time and I don't a good feeling about what they will or will not accomplish this time. They told me that the old barrel had a weak groove. I have never heard of this before.
kruizer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts