Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a PT138 for a concealed carry gun. At this point, I've only put about 50 rounds though it. However, out of those 50 rounds, I would safely say 10-12 of them jammed. I was using American Eagle ammo. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm curious if it's the ammo, if it's the magazine or if it's the gun. My other handgun is a Glock 22 Gen4, and I've not had a single issue with that gun. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks - mb

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
American Eagle ammo is a bit on the inexpensive side, as ammo pricing goes.

I suggest you try another brand or two of better quality ammo before you count the PT138 out.

I gave mine to one of my sons for a home defense gun; but while I had it, the pistol never malfunctioned. I used Federal FMJ ammo for range shooting and Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement self defense ammo, as well as Corbon JHPs, with great results on all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
American Eagle ammo is a bit on the inexpensive side, as ammo pricing goes.

I suggest you try another brand or two of better quality ammo before you count the PT138 out.

I gave mine to one of my sons for a home defense gun; but while I had it, the pistol never malfunctioned. I used Federal FMJ ammo for range shooting and Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement self defense ammo, as well as Corbon JHPs, with great results on all.
First time on the range with my PT138, I shot fifteen rounds each of Remington nickel plated brass, Fiocchi, Winchester and Federal American Eagle 380 ACP 95 Gr. FMJ Ammo. All went went except for the American Eagle. I had at least eight FTF and the PT 138 was filthy after the few rounds that did fire. I contacted Federal with my problem and did not receive a reply. I have had good results from firing American Eagle 40 S & W ammo and I do not know what the problem is with the 380 Ammo. Has anyone out there had the same problem?
Ygor

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Were the rounds the failed to fire still fail after a second strike? It sounds like there could be some preservative still on the firing pin. I would recommend using Gun Scrubber or non-chlorinated brake cleaner on the firing pin channel, use the straw that comes with to get it down the firing pin channel and blow it out with compressed air.

Make sure the entire gun has been cleaned and properly lubed, then try it on the range again. The preservative they use is some nasty stuff, and can hide in the smallest nooks and crannies to cause multiple failures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Were the rounds the failed to fire still fail after a second strike? It sounds like there could be some preservative still on the firing pin. I would recommend using Gun Scrubber or non-chlorinated brake cleaner on the firing pin channel, use the straw that comes with to get it down the firing pin channel and blow it out with compressed air.

Make sure the entire gun has been cleaned and properly lubed, then try it on the range again. The preservative they use is some nasty stuff, and can hide in the smallest nooks and crannies to cause multiple failures.
I cleaned the PT138 with Hoppe's nitro solvent and lubricant before test firing it at the range the first time. I will take your advice and concentrate on cleaning the firing pin area more thoroughly. Thanks.

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
well a really good way to determine if its a ammunition problem or a weapon problem is if it happens again remove the ammo , save the rest of the box, locate a friend with a gun of the same caliber and try it in that weapon.
if the ammo fires then its a gun problem, if it fails in a second weapon then likely a bad batch, bad as in hard or improperly seated primers.
of course you could have weapon that is right on the edge of a improper firing pin strike and will hit hard enough for some ammo and not for other ammo, which could be problem as indicated with clean it again theory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts