Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 24/7 back from Taurus and noticed the fronts sights are a little off center to the right. How do i adjust them? It does shoot slightly to the right. Or do I leave them alone and adjust the rear sights.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Am I just mistaken, or wouldn't a "off-center to the right" front sight result in shots being off to the -left- ??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke to customer service today and they told me I need a 1.5 millimeter allen key to adjust the front sight. From what I was told you move the sight in the direction you want to adjust for. Meaning if you shoot to the right you move the sight left to adjust. If I move the sight back to the middle it should shoot straight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
C'mon. old-timers, jump in here!!

I think this advice is opposite of what I'd expect!?

My gun shoots left ( well, it or I do!)
If I push my front sight to the -right-, as Rugerman says Taurus suggests... then I line my sights up straight.. heck, I'll be further left than before!!

Rugerman.. draw a barrel on some paper & some front & rear sights.. aim it at a target in front of you.. then move the front sight dot to the right, & line them up straight .. the barrel's -got- to be pointing further left, correct?

I'm a newbie.. if I'm wrong, somebody will surely tell me!!!!??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey i draw it out on a piece of paper and if you believe the front is to the right, then you will shoot to the left.
My reasoning is that when you sight the front from the rear, it will push the barrel left of the sight center.
And I just asked my buddy who has a lot of gunsmith experince and he varified my thoughts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I picked up the allen wrench, which 1.5mm is the correct size.
I moved the sight back to center and will let you know if it helped. Probably won't get to the range again till next week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to summarize:

If your gun is shooting to the right of your point of aim, move the front sight to the right or the rear sight to the left to correct.

If your gun is shooting to the left of your point of aim, move the front sight to the left or the rear sight to the right to correct.

·
Registered
136 Posts
gunboat57 said:
Just to summarize:

If your gun is shooting to the right of your point of aim, move the front sight to the right or the rear sight to the left to correct.

If your gun is shooting to the left of your point of aim, move the front sight to the left or the rear sight to the right to correct.
Gunboat, how are you summarizing this??
(mind you, I agree with you, but..)

2 posts above you, Paulrabe says the exact opposite.
Rugerman apparently thinks this is correct, too
(the 'shoot right - move left' theory)

Me, you, Afrats & Gotcha agree on the 'shoot right - move right' theory.
(Gotcha has a gunsmith buddy!)

Where's the summary?
Where's the agreement/quorum/definitive answer!??

Arrghh!
I'm a new gun owner, I could be totally clueless.. I'm basing my opinion solely on paper drawing & holding my gun in my hand & squinting at it!

Somebody.. somewhere.. --must-- know the undeniable truth here!!??

I -do- agree with rwcreigh up there.. my head hurts.

:)

Tim

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You know you all have confused the HECK outa me now. I used to think I had that problem all figured out. If my front sight was set over to the left and my rear sight was over to the right. I would be shooting totally to the right. Too correct I had to move the rear sight left,(right) and the front sight had to go right.

Have I added to the confusion!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If your sights are directly centered in the dovetail then your shots SHOULD be dead on. If you have access to an indoor range I suggest using it to "zero in" after adjustments are made. (Outdoor ranges have that windage issue)

It's all a matter of learning the Straight-8 configuration and practicing.

I adjusted my sights so they are dead center (front and rear) And now I shoot POA at 25 yds. Before the "micro adjustment" it was only out to 15 yds.

Remember, a little movement goes a LONG way. If you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself take it to a gunsmith. (They'll only charge around 10 bucks to adjust the sights)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I need to retract my previous statement. You guys are right. If you are shooting to the right, move your front sight to the right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
bubbas4570 said:
Guys, just remember it this way:

Back Sight Same, Front Sight Opposite.

paulrabe78 said:
I need to retract my previous statement. You guys are right. If you are shooting to the right, move your front sight to the right.

Wow. I --so-- give up.

All this conflicting info is just --too-- confusing for a dumb-ass amateur like me!!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Tim K said:
Wow. I --so-- give up.

All this conflicting info is just --too-- confusing for a dumb-ass amateur like me!!
I totally know what you mean. So if I have to adjust mine, I will look at sight, and like one person said center both in the dovetail and shoot it. If it has adjustable rear sights, will find out how to center them from the manual, and usually they will give you the sight height, front and rear from what I remember.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine...rear site was a little to the left and my groupings were a little left of center as well. It took about 30 over-correcting pushes either way to get it right before I could finally tighten the set screw.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
moving front sight to the right brings point of impact to the left. am i too late?

EDIT: oh, guess so. that will teach me to read the whole thread before posting :D

2ND EDIT: btw, anybody with a 24/7 pro got the GD front sight set screw overtightened so much that you can't get it broke loose? WD40 and rounded off allen wrenchs. next time i get by a smithy, but damn, why is this necessary? i'm an engineer and i understand the difference between tightening and over tightening. sorry, just venting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts