Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
We used to use bright red toothbrush handles, cutting them to shape, hand cutting a small dovetail slot in the front sight and fitting the plastic insert. Nail polish always looked messy and came off very quickly. Model airplane paint was better, but barely. The hand-fitted insert work best for my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We used to use bright red toothbrush handles, cutting them to shape, hand cutting a small dovetail slot in the front sight and fitting the plastic insert. Nail polish always looked messy and came off very quickly. Model airplane paint was better, but barely. The hand-fitted insert work best for my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

got a pic? I can't picture how you did it... I'm intrigued

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I put a white base coat on before applying the red. Really helps the red glow. BTW, I use Revlon 'Hot Tamale Red'.

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
Neato.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I picked up a BrightSights kit (was an impulse item) from my LGS. For about $20, it includes 6 bottles of dayglo Red, Yellow, and
Green in both regular and glow. They show up very nice, and seem to hold up well. So far I've done my PT1911, my PT111 G2,
and the front sights on my M85 & Ruger GP100.

This is on my PT1911 (they do show up brighter IRL):
View attachment 59423

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
Thx Loreal! I can see the front sight on my Polish P-64--- finally
There are a couple threads on the 738 and the non existant sights on that gun and how different people have adapted them for more visibility.
most are quite inexepensive.
there is everything from model paint, to car paint, finger nail polish, glow in the dark powder, glow in the dark paints, etc.
there are quite a few glow in the dark powders that can be mixed wiht acrylics, epoxy, etc and make a extremely durable paint that will glow for up to 10-12 hours from a short charging form natural light or incandescent light source, same for the glow in the dark paints (they are made from the glow in the dark powder). glo time depend on the color used.
they are highly visible in daylight and glow in the dark, not tritiums but they do work and are inexpensive.
Glonation is one company that sales both the paints and the powders.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
He-He-He
showing your age now!!
this technique was very popular back in the 60's -70's before all these new fangleded gadgets were around.
them bright flourescent orange/red toothbrushes were in very high demand!-LOL
I knew one gunsmith that bought more toothbrushes than most Dentist did!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
we just always used gold model paint drill little hole tooth pick with gold model paint in hole

gold realy shows up well

jhp

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
we just always used gold model paint drill little hole tooth pick with gold model paint in hole
gold realy shows up well
jhp
Yes, yes it does!
A lot of the people that lived in the area that i use to work in I guess painted some of their teeth gold, and it did show up well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts