Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the bull's head grip on my 85UL & would like to know from which side to punch out the roll pin?

Is it from right to left, or vice-versa?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I don't want to distort the pin & have it get stuck in there. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
If one end is recessed into the hole, that's the best place to start as there's less chance it'll expand and all the force will be directed forward. Even the proper size roll pin punches can bulge the end if they're tight and hangin' out.

Reactions: 82tiburon

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t think it matters, but I have always, as a rule, drive out L to R. And drive in R to L.

just because there are firearms, I am told, where such things matter.
That's exactly why I asked.
I have two Norinco ATD .22 rifles that I swapped the stock rear sights out for Browning foldable ones & the procedure was as you stated.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Just force of habit - drive out left side to right side, drive in right to left. It probably doesn't matter tho.

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
Just force of habit - drive out left side to right side, drive in right to left. It probably doesn't matter tho.
I've seen a few times where roll pins were in tapered holes, old hydraulic stuff though. I've always assumed the term "pin" was an acronym for Pain In........

·
Registered
346 Posts
For what it's worth, the pin on the rear sight of my Bull was knurled on the left side so you have to drive it out right to left.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For my 605 I also went L to R like all my pins and sights. Even P80 builds when you know the hole is the same both sides, lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FINALLY got the roll pin knocked out ---- it took quite a bit of pounding with a small ball peen & punch. :D :D :D

Put on an older set of small-frame wooden grips with a generous scoop on the left side so that I can now use my Safariland speed-loaders without any binding issues.
Plus it looks WAY better with the wood contrast against the stainless.

Thanks for all of the advice & help, guys! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Which side do you drive it out?
The side that has the steering wheel.
They go out the way the way they went in.
If you can't see a tool mark , flip a coin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts