Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
32,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?=&threadid=363052

This little beauty is from Glock Talk and the PT owners are showing up a lot in this one.

While there are a few bashers in this thread, there are more than enough real owners here in this thread to set the record straight. :)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've been noticing that on different forums. You have a small, but vocal group that takes pleasure in bashing anything Taurus, including the PT1911. Note that most of these people have held one, let alone fired it. They just think that it's Taurus and costs less than a Kimber, Colt, S&W etc.. that it has to be junk.

However, it's heartening to see actual owners and not keyboard commandos who have a vendetta against Taurus, speaking out and letting their voices be heard that yes, the PT1911 is competitively priced but yes, it's also a great pistol, period. The bashers will always be around but they won't deter those of us who know just what a fantastic pistol the PT1911 is.

I've been sharing some PT1911 love on The Firearms Forum as well. I haven't seen one negative post there regarding the PT1911 from those who actually own them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I may not be a good Taurus owner. I don't feel defensive about buying a PT1911. I bought a PT1911 because I liked the feel and the price. I don't know much about 1911's that didn't come out of a military arms room rack, so I can't judge the PT1911 against "better" pistols. What I know about the one I own is that it feels better with Hogue wraparounds than the original grips. It has no problems with the Taurus mags or the two I bought for $20, including 50 rounds of ammo. All four mags will feed rounds when the slide cycles. All rounds have fired when I pull the trigger and the next round is chambered. If I pull the trigger properly the round goes where I've pointed the pistol (usually close to the 10 ring at 15 yards). It has done this for about 800-1000 rounds. When I clean the pistol, I don't find any unusual wear or parts out of alignment. I rather expect the pistol to keep doing what it does for quite some time.

Can't work up the energy to be defensive about owning a pistol that works.

·
32,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greener. Your right about getting up the energy to be defensive. There is another side of the coin however and it flips over to that side too frequently.

Can't speak for everybody on this. At a lot of the other general gun forums having an actual in depth discussion or exchange of ideas without interference from outside sources that cannot be ignored is almost common place. These have to do with insulting,derogatory,and insulting remarks or downright fabrications that if or could be ignored, would be.

Disruption of the thread and discussion cannot be ignored and the naysayers, usually without proof of any kind, proceed to continually disrupt the goings on of the rest of us.

It would be nice if we could discipline these childish goings on or hope that oversight by the moderators would take place, but this does not happen. Complaints to forum management fall on deaf ears. Some staff at these other forums join in the bashing,name calling, and insulting. Flaming, name calling, insulting one's intelligence are regular staples of the juveniles.

So there is a precedent for this kind of thing.

Reason and fact are our only courses of action that can be taken.Intelligent members of said forums will see through the lies and fabrications, but the effort to overcome this stuff can be somewhat overwhelming at times.

Threads however become bogged down and unnecessarily off topic while dealing with the miscreants.

So the staff here, as well as members, can be happy not to deal with that sort of thing here for the most part. It just isn't kosher to do that kind of thing here.

Actual evidence being presented and can be verified in some way, is the way to produce a thread, positive,negative, or somewhere in between. This goes a long way in having threads or discussions that are made of substantial nature.

·
Registered
162 Posts
J. Edward Demming, one of the quality guru's said "In God we trust, all others bring data." Seems that most of the bashers don't bring much in the way of data. I've asked a few folks who post "X is a terrible gun, stay away" type remarks for specifics. I don't get any answers. Most of the folks who own a PT1911 seem to like it. I bought mine at a gun show. The dealer had several that disappeared rapidly. I've also noticed the asking price has gone up since I bought mine. I noticed the GT link got quiet after a poster presented a few facts, all positive.

I own a PT1911. The only thing I've wanted to change is the grips. It took me 4-5 rounds to adjust to the sights. I have had no mechanical problems. It shoots accurately and reproducibly except for one box of Independence 230gr FMJ. I can't tell you how it shoots at under 15 yards because I've only shot it at 15 and 25 yards and it has done well. If this is a gun with a bad reputation, I think I'll buy more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't own the Taurus PT1911, but I do have a Rock Island Armory 1911. I get the same treatment with my 1911 (only worse, because the RIA is $100 less than the PT1911 - which is why I got it, incidentally) or when I pull out my Taurus PT92 (it's not a Beretta/SIG/whatever). It's sort of like the BMW drivers look down the nose at my 6-year old Ford Taurus (ha! I didn't think about THAT taurus!!!).

Let your well-punctuated targets do the talking. The proof is downrange!!!

Shoot well,
Preacher_Man

·
32,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When stationed in the Hampton area in Virginia, there were a few cases at A&P Arms where some gent had a PT92 and the usual bunch of gun people were congregating in the store.

PT92 owner banged away at the range and no one gave it another thought. When everyone was kabitzing later talk about the Beretta 92 came up. In all cases the crowd assumed the PT owner in question(read that as all the owners in all instances) had a Beretta and continued the talk without any thought to things.

Low and behold eventually the fact the PT92 owner would get out the pistol and jaws dropped. The staff at the store were not surprised, but the gun snobs were. Grudging admiration or some snide comments were made by the collective. The PT92 hung in there with the best of the other guns and held it's own.

The store sold a lot of Taurus guns.Might still if they are still there. There is reason to believe that store still is.

Mind you, this was back in the middle 1980s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts