Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 709 Slim. I read numerous reviews and checked out different weapons on Youtube. I picked it up on Wednesday, cleaned it on Thursday, and shot it this morning. The first two magazines were a disaster. Every round failed to feed. The 6th round jammed in the receiver. Knowing how dependable everyone said it was, I figured something had to be wrong. I broke down the weapon on the range, pulled out barrel and spring, reseated both, ran the slide back and forth a few times, then fired 3 magazines with no problems. What do you suppose that was about? I'll clean and reseat everything and see how it does next week. - jc1921

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The only thing I can think of is when you put the recoil spring/guide rod back in the first time you may not have gotten this assembly set back in the right way. It has been reported on here a time or two. When you set the guide rod back in place there is a second little "step" that you have to get the end set on too. Kind of a weak explanation but if you look at where the guide rod sits there are a couple of little steps. The guide rod end should sit on the second one, short one. We'll see if it shows in the photos. That's the only possibility I have.

P1000521.jpg

P1000523.jpg

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Darbo is correct here - also, did you make sure to clean it thoroughly with a solvent and brush, then lube before you took it to the range? The packing grease that is used on these is notorious for gumming up the works, especially after a few rounds and the heating from those. You will want to take the mags apart and clean those as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! My 709 is my every day carry, and I have full faith in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts