Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.
From Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural Address.

In pursuit of democracy, this sentiment, this warning, of Jefferson's is oft forgotten. Too many of our citizen's and nearly all of our politicians ignore this.
It is important to remember that democracy is merely a tool and not a goal. It is oppression that must be avoided, and freedom that must be embraced.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thank you for introducing me to a Jefferson quote that I'd not read or heard.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I'd recommend everyone reading it. It is pretty short but very good!

One of my favorite quotes from it:

Still one thing more, fellow citizens, a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government; and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.
- Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for starting this thread MadKaw!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks, MadKaw
Thomas Jefferson was a quiet genius, whose values were pure and whose vision so long ago, properly applied, would right this foundering ship of state currently captained by an enemy of the constitution who swore to defend it.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Sorry, I had a Heinlein flash when I saw fellow-citizens. *grin*

Good quote tho. I like Jefferson paired with Paine myself.

Sarge

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I had a Heinlein flash when I saw fellow-citizens. *grin*

Good quote tho. I like Jefferson paired with Paine myself.

Sarge
That was the title of Jefferson's First Inaugural Address. So I guess Heinlein stole it from Jefferson.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
I'll never forget that he said, "A wet bird never flys at night".

I don't know what it means, but I never forgot it. ;)

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll never forget that he said, "A wet bird never flys at night".

I don't know what it means, but I never forgot it. ;)
He never said that. Jackie Vernon said that.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
That was the title of Jefferson's First Inaugural Address. So I guess Heinlein stole it from Jefferson.
He did admit that in one of his interviews. I seem to remember his definition of citizen as one who defends his community and hence earns the right to vote was derived from reading the Founding Fathers as well.

Sarge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts