Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I sold my PT1911 to a friend of mine and he has started to have feeding issues. So far the only ammo he has used in it is Tulammo. Any of you guys ever had problems with the lacquered cases causing feeding issues? He keeps insisting that he needs new mags. I told him to buy a few boxes of different ammo to try first as I never used Tula when I owned it. To be honest I think he's riding the slide a bit. He keeps telling me he isn't but I have a sneaking suspicion that he is.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I've had Tul stick last winter when it was cold here after the weapon got hot. (first time i ever used Tulammo in my PT 1911 in winter) Not sure if that was the case or what it was. but Winchester white box and Magtech brass worked fine.

Disclaimer: When saying cold I mean cold by by north Texas standards, I think it was in the mid 30's... I never had a problem with it when it was warmer so, who knows. Just my experience.

Ohh and it wasn't me that had the problem it was a ahh friend... yeah ;) sorry 91Whiskey I couldn't resist! :D

Seriously though tell him to try other ammo and if its like mine it won't have an issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
um yea Tula and the Blazer aluminum ammo are about the only 2 that will cause my PT145 to hiccup. The Tula feeds like crap and the Blazer has issues stove-piping. Anything else with a brass case runs like a top.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh and it wasn't me that had the problem it was a ahh friend... yeah ;) sorry 91Whiskey I couldn't resist! :D
Yeah I know. I sold it to a friend I swear. :) Never really understood why some people hide behind the old "My friend did this" or "My friend says" lines.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Tula is great if you have some old eastern bloc firearms, they were made to take that stuff. Switching to brass and actually sling-shotting the slide should cure those feed troubles he's having. Maybe you need to take your friend out with you and a box of Federal, Winchester, or Remington to show him how to do it without being a cheap prick.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe you need to take your friend out with you and a box of Federal, Winchester, or Remington to show him how to do it without being a cheap prick.
Heck he's a network engineer. I think he can afford one box of each. :) Anyhow I'm usually there when he shoots it so I'll have to pay closer attention the next time we're out.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Heck he's a network engineer. I think he can afford one box of each. :) Anyhow I'm usually there when he shoots it so I'll have to pay closer attention the next time we're out.
So basically he's just cheap and doesn't care about what he shoots as long as it goes bang. I know the coating does begin to melt into the barrel a bit when it gets hot, which could be the major issue. It also makes it hard to clean the crud out of the weapon as well, since that stuff almost sticks in there like a varnish on the powder residue. Next time you guys go out, ask to look at it and see how dirty he left it after cleaning. Then try some decent bras through it and check out the performance.

·
10,379 Posts
Then try some decent bras through it and check out the performance.
Underwire or pushup?

(The Devil made me do it!)

(Iiiiiitttttt's FFFFRRRIIIDDDAAAAYYY!!!)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Underwire or pushup?
That might be a good idea... Tell him that brass is like Bras. Would he want to go on his honeymoon with his new wife, and help her get her $2500 wedding dress off to find a dirty, gummy, stained bra that came from the trash dumpster behind goodwill?
If he wants things working the way they should... Clean brass and clean bras make a difference. :)

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
um yea Tula and the Blazer aluminum ammo are about the only 2 that will cause my PT145 to hiccup. The Tula feeds like crap and the Blazer has issues stove-piping. Anything else with a brass case runs like a top.
Cabela's has the new Herter's/CCI (made in USA) .45 aluminium cased Blazer with blue nylon jacketed bullets. When on sale at Cabela's (especially with free of minimal shipping) it is less than the Tula at WallyWorld.

I have fired about 200 rounds in my PT 145 Mil Pro Stainless and it has functioned flawlessly. It left the bore and gun very clean!

45nylon.jpg

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
if he kept complaining I would just take him , the gun and some different ammo out and you shoot the gun.
then tell him!
there decide , its either you screwing things up or the cheap ammo! s
o whcih is it do you think?
of course it may be a litlte of both!-LOL

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thats not a cheap gun, why be a cheap ass and buy crappy ammo at Wal-Mart.. I mean 45 acp ammo isn't that much more expensive in the "good" brands and yeah that coating could do some major damage to the gun after 200 rds or so, a good thorough cleaning would be advised as well a good oiling.. I am a newbie and even I know that... Take your friend sit him down and explain why paying 10 cents more per round for a decent bullet will prolong the life of his gun, then watch how he cleans the weapon and see if he misses anything..

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I've sat him down and explained the the way things go as far as firearms, different ammo and cleaning. May need to go through it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts