Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an unexpected trip to the range yesterday. I took the PT111 G2 and my XDsc 9mm to do a little comparison shooting. Some observations.

1) Every time I shoot the PT111 G2, I shoot it better than the time before, which was better than the time before that. Maybe I'm getting more used to the trigger? Whatever the reason, it's a favorable trend.
2) The XDsc is a bulkier, heavier gun, but it also has an 18 lb. recoil spring setup. As a result of these factors, recoil is obviously less and makes the XDsc a softer shooting gun. That's not to say the PT111 G2 is a harsh, or difficult gun to shoot. Because of its diminutive size, you expect it to be a little snappier, but it is still a very easy and fun gun to shoot.
3) Point of aim is different between the two guns. With the PT111 G2 you have to cover the target. With the XDsc the impact of your shot should be at the top of the front sight when you have them properly aligned. I got a reminder of this when switching back and forth between the two guns. In the attached target picture all shots on the Yellow #5 were made with the XDsc and were a tad high. Shots on the Blue #4 and Red #1 were all made with the PT111 G2. Shots on the Red #2 were a mixture of the two. The shots on this target were representative of the day. Shooting at a white silhouette target afterwards (not pictured) with both guns created about a 5" hole in the chest cavity area with an occasional flyer.

Note: I did make a slight adjustment to the windage on the PT111 G2 as I mistakenly turned that screw instead of the elevation screw and initial shots were a little left on the Blue #4. Once the sight was returned back to where it was, and the elevation was set about a quarter turn higher, it was good to go.

A summary of the shooting:

Federal American Eagle (100 rounds) and Remington UMC (50 rounds)both FMJ's and 115 grain.

Fiocchi 124 grain JHP's (50 rounds). All of these were shot through the PT111 G2.

All shots were made at the 10 yard line at a pace of 4 - 5 per second.

For what it's worth, I also made a slight sight enhancement to the PT111 G2 (see attached pics). I've done the same to other handguns I own and I find the visibility of the sights to be much more vivid, which in turn are easier to see and gets me back on target quicker. This particular yellow dries with just a hint of green, and for me the sights just pop. May not be for everyone, but if anyone is interested I can give the details about the paint I used.

The PT111 G2. To date, 615 rounds with a mix of range and defensive ammo and the gun just continues to reliably run. I'm no longer surprised by its performance. I expect it. Oh, and it rides good on your hip. ;)

IMG_2822a.JPG IMG_2818a.JPG IMG_2819a.JPG IMG_2820a.JPG

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
A Very good post! thanks for all the info - and great job shooting!!!

Reactions: Gsx4

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Thanks for the side by side comparison and nice shooting.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Awesome post! I can't wait till my range warms up a bit!

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
And you had some fun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great report!!! I don't have as many rounds thru mine as you do (about 375+-), but mine has been flawless as well !!! Love my G2!!

·
22,055 Posts
Very nice range report! Does that paint actually glow if it's dark?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
145 Posts
hey I would like to know what kind of paint you used!!! I'm thinking about going with a Hiviz front site. I like that look of the sites

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Great range report indeed! Thanks for the photos too, it sure makes a range report more interesting. Good shooting!:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey I would like to know what kind of paint you used!!! I'm thinking about going with a Hiviz front site. I like that look of the sites
I used neon fabric paint from Wal-Mart. Puffy Pens Neon to be exact. Comes in a package with several colors. Cleaned out the white paint, not 100% on the front sight, almost 100% on the rears. The paint is permanent, according to the manufacturer, and dries to a semi-hard rubber consistency. In other words, flexible as you might imagine fabric paint would have to be. I had to fill the sight cavities about 3 - 4 times because as the paint dried, is would shrink somewhat. After that I applied two coats of clear nail polish to protect the color. Got that tip from others that have used similar products. I have since cleaned the gun twice with no ill affects from the cleaning products.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used neon fabric paint from Wal-Mart. Puffy Pens Neon to be exact. Comes in a package with several colors. Cleaned out the white paint, not 100% on the front sight, almost 100% on the rears. The paint is permanent, according to the manufacturer, and dries to a semi-hard rubber consistency. In other words, flexible as you might imagine fabric paint would have to be. I had to fill the sight cavities about 3 - 4 times because as the paint dried, is would shrink somewhat. After that I applied two coats of clear nail polish to protect the color. Got that tip from others that have used similar products. I have since cleaned the gun twice with no ill affects from the cleaning products.
Nice. Thanks for the info. Going there tonight to grab some of those pens

·
Registered
97 Posts
I own a few handguns and out of all of them I like the trigger on my G2 the best. I love how the G2's trigger in SA has that "free play" until the last 1/8" or so til it actually fires. For me it helps me shoot more consistent because I know once I pull the trigger back to that point it's going to fire. I'm still a great shot with my other handguns but I can find myself anticipating the shot sometimes and over correcting my wrist before I fire. Usually this happens towards the end of a longer range session when my wrist starts to get weak from all of the shooting. But with my G2 I don't do this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts