Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys (and gals) - pretty bored now. Been watching TWC, Atlanta news stations carrying uninterrupted weather coverage for the past 3 hours straight! I live about 45 minutes west of ATL, and just south of I-20, and we are getting ABSOLUTELY pounded by what can be best described as an ARMAGEDDON of nasty weather all afternoon. 30-40 supercells coming from out of eastern Mississippi and panning across Alabama and now entering the W Ga area. We have had 10-20 tornadoes spotted and most of the other supercells are carrying hail measuring 3/4"-golf ball sized hail stones. We have been under tornado watch or warning for what seems like the past 4 hours straight and looks like these cells are going to continue to move thru the area for the next 5-6 hours. From what I have heard, these storms are a continuation of the deadly tornadoes in the midwest over the past 48 hours. And as each cell moves thru the area the weather broadcasters are continuing to ask everyone to head to basements or low ground and cover up with motorcycle helmets, etc . . . .

With all the lightening (up to 140 strikes per hour with >60% called "positive" which means that they are the type of strikes which cause housefires . . .) it has given new meaning to Friday Night Lights. . . .

So, how are the rest of you spending your Friday night?

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Drove from Cleveland to my house (4.5 hours) and now watching Walking Dead on DVR with my wife.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I set out watching a grandson's baseball game winds gusting to 40 mph and temp about 43 degrees. We did squeak by and win 6-5.

Daytonredeye, we had weather all during the 70's 80's and 90's like you are experiencing. It seems like all the weather we used to have moved east. We had a lot of nights I moved things out of my closet to have access to the scuttle hole under the floor.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
My three grand daughters are here, so entertaining them. Windy here, 40-50 mph gusts. Lake Erie is producing 14 ft waves. To those of you in the severe weather areas, be safe!

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, in an attempt to turn the darned weather into a positive I decided to try to change out a new beavertail grip safety and Wilson combat trigger into my new Midsize RIA 1911 I bought a couple of weeks ago. The Wilson combat BTGS, a Wilson combat hammer and a Wilson hammer strut all came in today (along with a Wilson combat 1911 mag I ordered just b/c it was on sale at Midway) and I sat down for my first attempt at 'smithin'.

Well, all came apart as expected - EXCEPT (and Montkun who has been nice enough to encourage me in this project and pass along helpful hints and told me to expect this problem . . .) I could not get the hammer strut pin removed from the OEM equipment!!! I have one on order but probably won't be here for a couple more days (if I'm lucky) but just could not get that damn strut pin to come out.

Soooo, I proceeded to reassemble the piece and found out how difficult it can be to replace the thumb safety and hold down the plunger spring at the same time; found out that I probably didn't line up the leaf spring with the sear correctly the first time b/c the hammer would NOT remain cocked and found out how difficult the thumb safety can be to re-remove if not done in the order its supposed to be done in; found out that not all pins require effort to remove as my hammer retaining pin fell out every time I tried to hold the gun in a different position to try to chase that damn plunger and thumb safety home I finally got it taken back apart and reassembled and seems the slide moves fine and the hammer remains cocked now and the thumb and original grip safeties seem to be working correctly.

OK, I didn't accomplish my originally planned mission but it was not an hour or so wasted either. I learned quite a bit about the intricacies of the internals of a 1911 pistol and , almost as important, I completely forgot about the nasty weather as my complete attention - and some foul language which was going to be released one way or another was relievingly released - were deflected elsewhere.

Now, I'll put back on the safety helmet and retake refuge under some strong supporting structure per the weatherman's recommendations . . . .

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Yeah, that whole hammer strut getting connected is the biggest problem i ran into. I got all of my parts in on the 25th, but i kicked myself for not trying to break down the hammer sooner to see if i could. The only good part about taking the gun down was that i could at least fit the trigger in on mine to start things off. Smoothed the movement out rather quickly with a small piece of 2000 grit emory cloth and it slid in and out without any hangups, and fit very well against the disconnector and sear assembly. I dry fit the beavertail without the hammer in place just to see how well it fit against the frame. After feeling satisfied with my purchases for the time being, i reinstalled the OEM grip safety and hammer then put the gun away until the new strut and pin came in Wednesdays mail. Now i miss my gun sitting on the gunsmiths bench waiting to be resighted, i want those 3 dots bad so i can go shooting it by Thursday on a nice day of the week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts