Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Student Suspended at Oakland University after Writing of Affection for Professor

The part that really got me was what this ^&%$ing teacher said when the administration wouldn't do anything:
FIRE obtained many documents about Corlett’s treatment, and they reference an additional concern that FIRE does not consider valid. An e-mail from Mitzelfeld to various officials, in which she complained that the administration was not acting on her concerns about Corlett, said that he had a “gun obsession” that was public and that made her and other females on the campus feel unsafe. She specifically noted that he had written to the student newspaper defending the right of concealed carry of a weapon on campus. “I cannot feel safe knowing that he might have a weapon with him at any time. He might have had a gun in his backpack when he sat 20 feet away from me at the writing center last week,” she wrote.

Corlett has in fact written a letter to the editor of the student newspaper about concealed carry.

But Kissel of FIRE said that Corlett is entitled to have an opinion on guns. “I understand that the student never carried a weapon on campus or broke any school rules relating to weapons,” he said. “The entirety of this aspect of the concern” is about Corlett’s opinion about an opinion, not anything Corlett did, he added.
To heck with any issues of tenure for this idiot - is there any way to revoke her degree because of extreme idiocy? (The medical term would be fatuita extrema)

edit: by the way, for any of you that are in academia, FIRE is an organization you should know about.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Am I missing something? No threats were made by anyone. A student is told --

The guidelines for the “Writer’s Daybook” in English 380 at Oakland University specified that students should write regularly, using their notebooks to “try out ideas and record observations.” While students were told they had to use it regularly, and have their entries dated, they were generally encouraged to stretch. Spelling and punctuation would not be checked. Students were told to “try to relax and allow this to work for you.”

The student follows this and the teacher does not like what the student wrote in the journal because of a letter he wrote in support of concealed carry? The student get's suspended?

Where is the lawsuit?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Free speech is only allowed now if it's "politically correct".

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Again this is a school we are talking about. Academia, you know, that part of America where common sense has no place and certainly no acceptance by the facility and staff. This guy may have been a gun toting horn dog but he didn't violate any laws. All he is guilty of is creeping out a very paranoid professor.

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
Tuesday, I took a PHD interviewing at Tech around. He asked about a neighborhood adjacent to the Campus and what it was like. I explained the various folks who lived in the neighborhood and added a few weirdo PHD's. He laughed. I can tell you that the folks for the most part in the world of academia are weird in themselves, some are even sane, but not most of them.

A University in California, this does not surprise me. It would surprise me some at Texas Tech Or Texas A & M, but not at all at U. T.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
That was a weird article. First he is drooling over the teacher because he was given the freedom to do so then writes about concealed carry and she became frightened. The guy sounds a bit creepy but the story doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts