Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today I was having a great day at the range . A few of us got together ran a few 6 round courses they set up. It was a blast . Anyway heres the bad news, when I got home and was cleaning my PT111 Pro and I noticed a crack in the frame :( . I contacted Taurus customer service and after a few questions they told me I would need to pay shipping to Taurus , but they could get me a discount on 2 day air . So now I wait till pay day and ill call back and get a plane ticket for my Pt111 down to Miami. I have ran a bunch of diffent brands of ammo , mainly fmj target rounds ,and well over 10,000 rounds down range. So I'm not worried they said they would fix it , and I have put this gun through its paces over the last 5 or 6 years .This was my first pistol and I use it for EDC so I will keep it once it is fixed . I guess I will carry the PT145 for the time being. My question is do you think Taurus would allow me to switch to a colored frame either ODG or tan ? If Taurus would do this for free I would not be too picky on which color. Do you think if I ask they might do this for me . Ill upload a picture in a min I have trouble uploading a picture from my phone Thanks and have a Great day!
Update
So I finally got time to mail it to Taurus . I didn't get the colored frame I was hoping for, but the turn around time was so fast it made my head spin. I mailed it monday of last week at about 8:30 in the morning, it was at the factory tuesday morning at 9:30. I checked the Taurus website daily for repair status. Well I checked thursday at lunch it showed repair complete . I was shocked so I had the day off so I thought I would call Taurus and see if this was correct. I talked to Troy I belive he said it was waiting to be picked up by fedex. I ask what was repaired he said the polymer sleeve around the frame . So after it sat 1 hour from my house at fedex sort facility it showed up today at 3:30. I am happy to have to have it back!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will ask if and let everyone know what they tell me about the frame . I really like this pistol and its stainless I don't know if they will trade it for a new g2 but I am not against that option . But I figure they will just replace polymer section of my frame . But I have good faith Taurus will go above a beyond to fix it and make me happy with whatever option they choose.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok no picture for now but it is cracked on the right rear under the grooves on the slide . I have seen pictures of this happening on the 145 but not the 111.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I check mine completely....now I'll check it again....pictures of the problem would be nice though. :nopics:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said I would love to upload a picture but I can't get it to from my phone . I will keep trying to upload one soon. But my phone is the only access to the internet for now . Once again I'm sorry for no pix

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arm Hand Finger
ok finally it ia h ard to get a picture of but it starts at last groove on slide and is moving down the frame is a hairline crack but a crack none the less

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
The frame and frame insert are the weakest parts of any small polymer pistol. That yours lasted 10,000 rounds is outstanding and speaks well of the Taurus brand! :thumb:

Reactions: G8R8U2

·
Registered
676 Posts
No problem - keep us updated. Ok, I see it. Wonder what would cause that or how long it has been cracked? 10,000 rounds maybe? Tough little pistol with a "LIFETIME WARRANTY." I really would appreciate your Taurus CS experience updates.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I first got this pistol I was kickng brass just to hear it go bang , I was young and would pull the trigger as fast as I could . I put over 1000 rounds through it in the first week. I will be honest I don't know how long it has been cracked but I started carrying it for the last year could this be caused from being carried and the twisting force on the frame of sitting in the car ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is cracked at one of the thinest spots on the back on the frame . I don't know if it is cause by recoil or like I said when I drive the car that side of the pistol is up against seat belt latch . But like I said this will not turn me off Taurus if this life time warranty works out It only makes Taurus A1 in my book.This is the first and only problem I have had with any of my taurus pistols . I bought this pistol used around the end of 2007 early 2008 from a close friend it's production date was 2006 .

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The frame and frame insert are the weakest parts of any small polymer pistol. That yours lasted 10,000 rounds is outstanding and speaks well of the Taurus brand! :thumb:
That's what I've been thinking about a lot of posts about polymer pistols. Folks seem to be running a lot of rounds through pistols that probably aren't the best for frequent range shooting.

All pistols, even all-steel ones, have limitations as far as rounds one can expect to shoot in its lifetime, and one would have to expect it's considerably less for polymer pistols.

I'd say the same holds true for aluminum framed pistols, too, as aluminum certainly fatigues a great deal over time with the repeated stresses placed on it from both shooting and cycling.

I have 2 polymer framed pistols, and I only shoot them enough to stay proficient with them... if I'm going to the range intending to do a lot of shooting, I'm taking an all-steel revolver or semi-auto.

That design or material may not ultimately be the culprit; but just because manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty, that doesn't infer that the gun can reasonably be expected to be impervious to wear and tear no matter how many rounds are fired through it during its lifetime.

200 boxes of 50 rounds of 9mm from a plastic pistol... that's what we're talking about here. In my lifetime, I probably won't fire that many rounds through my 845 and 740 combined.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Definitely let us know about your experience with their CS, I was just talking with a friend of mine who runs a pawn shop that goes through quite a few guns and he said they had an issue with Taurus not wanting to fix a broken "mechanical" piece. He didn't specify what piece it was so its hard to say if they should have even been responsible for fixing it. He said he sees "quite a few" millennium pros that have various issues. I guess we will see. This won't change my mind about my 140 though no matter what. :)

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
If you check the old threads, you will see several members reporting their cracked frames were replaced by Taurus. Some said Taurus sent them a newer model because their guns were too old and the replacement parts were no longer available.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Coincidentally, just for comparison, I happened to be reading an article from the DEC-JAN issue of Handguns, about the reintroduction of the new and improved Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

The gun is .380 ACP, has a steel slide, and an aluminum alloy frame. It's been redesigned to be more reliable and durable... 2 things that elicited customer complaints about the old ones.

Greg Rozum, director of product engineering for Colt, said their breakage goal - rounds fired before something breaks - for the new Mustang Pocketlite was 10,000 rounds; and regular maintenance of replacing the springs every 2,500 rounds.

So 10,000 rounds is what they consider outstanding, a goal; for a brand new, all-metal pistol that's been redesigned to be more durable than the previous version.

If that's Colt's goal, I'd say getting 10,000 rounds of 9mm out of a polymer Taurus before something broke is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ill keep everyone informed about my experience with CS and the repair department. Do understand I was not trying break this pistol by shooting it . I wonder though how many rounds it would take to break a pt111 with no maintinance just cleaning after every 300 - 500 rounds ?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thats a lot of rounds to go through I would say I would be very happy to have a firearm shoot that many rounds with no problems.

Reactions: G8R8U2

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some members reported they'd shot well over 10K rounds through their MilPro's without problems.
I wonder how many if you opened the box cleaned the shipping goo off it and started shooting after every 300 -500 rounds then field stripped it give it a once over with brush and oil put it together and back to shooting until it broke. I would volunteer for this job :cool:Thank you Taurus 10 for your input

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thats a lot of rounds to go through I would say I would be very happy to have a firearm shoot that many rounds with no problems.
Agreed, me too. I'm sure everyone's experience will vary; but I thought it important to note that having a gun break somewhere after 10,000 rounds is not only not unusual, but is actually a threshold for some manufacturers... they EXPECT a breakage around that point of a gun's life.

The Colt story is a good one for the gun snob crowd that might wander into the forum and say something like, "See, that's why I won't buy a Taurus.".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.