Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
How rough is the back side of the leather?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have 2 and love them. The back is rough when new but smooths out in a few days. I wear a thirst under the holster anyway so it doesn't bother me. These holsters really hide a pistol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have to give a little bit of an incident report. I have to disarm a couple of times a day for work. I usually put the gun/holster under the front seat until I leave for the day. Today as I was doing that I had something else in my other hand standing next to my truck's open door, and the holster canted slightly with the open end down. The gun slipped out and dropped like there was no retention at all. I pulled off a ninja knee catch by pinning the falling pistol between my knee and the truck which didn't do the gun, the truck, or my knee any favors (not to mention giving me a heart attack). I don't know if the holster has loosened up a little since I've been using it or what. When I first got it I could hold the gun in the holster upside down and it wouldn't fall out unless I gave it a little shake. I might try heating the kydex up and forming it into the trigger guard a little more to get better retention.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have to give a little bit of an incident report. I have to disarm a couple of times a day for work. I usually put the gun/holster under the front seat until I leave for the day. Today as I was doing that I had something else in my other hand standing next to my truck's open door, and the holster canted slightly with the open end down. The gun slipped out and dropped like there was no retention at all. I pulled off a ninja knee catch by pinning the falling pistol between my knee and the truck which didn't do the gun, the truck, or my knee any favors (not to mention giving me a heart attack). I don't know if the holster has loosened up a little since I've been using it or what. When I first got it I could hold the gun in the holster upside down and it wouldn't fall out unless I gave it a little shake. I might try heating the kydex up and forming it into the trigger guard a little more to get better retention.
You can't use the upside down test for retention with these holsters. When you tighten your belt, the holster tightens because the leather flexes and pushes against the back of the gun while the Kydex flexes and pushes on the front, giving you more retention.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't use the upside down test for retention with these holsters. When you tighten your belt, the holster tightens because the leather flexes and pushes against the back of the gun while the Kydex flexes and pushes on the front, giving you more retention.
I just noticed it was looser now than a couple weeks ago. You're right that it has more tension with a belt cinched over it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just noticed it was looser now than a couple weeks ago. You're right that it has more tension with a belt cinched over it.
That is the way it is designed. It broke in and molded to your gun (the leather) and that is why it is looser with no belt on it. My holster of similar type made by another manufacturer even told you not to do the upside down test of retention with this holster because it isn't accurate and your gun would end up on the floor haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I'd have to agree, this thing really hides the gun. The finger grip on the magazine touches my shirt, but nothing I feel uncomfortable wearing on a daily basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts