Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for this stuff over a year now. Want to try it for the M327. Looking locally to avoid the hazmat fees for a small amount. Got lucky yesterday, the guy had half a dozen 1 pound bottles (that actually hold 9 ounces). Also got a pound of LVR for the Marlin. Even got in the show free. All considered, a very good day.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Math: 1 lb LVR = about 185 rounds of 30-30, depending on projectile and if it is a full lb.

Did the math for a guy at LGS this weekend buying Varget (loading 58gr.) for 300 Win Mag. His eyes got very large and he grabbed 3 more lbs!! :eek:

1 lb. = 7,000 gr.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
AHH, YEP!!!
I use to load for my 300 Win Mag, it doesn't go to far no matter what powder that you are using, I was basically using 165-168 grain projectiles and couldn't keep the powder measure hopper filled.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have been working on some handloads for my 460 S&W mag to take to the range. Damn, that case holds a lot of powder!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I too have been trying to get ahold of some TB. I've got a couple of pet loads for 45 Colt and everything else is just, well, unsatisfying. Bass Pro Shops put a bunch of powders up on their website the other day out of the blue. Most were available only for backorder and TB was among them. I ordered 5 #'s. I hope that means they are expecting a large order soon. I like ordering from BPS because you can have it shipped to store and avoid haz-mat fees. Here's hoping. :r_c:

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
I've got an issue of some gun mag from a year or two ago, that showed all of these different load recipes for Trail Boss, including one for 223. It's a very versatile powder.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I've got an issue of some gun mag from a year or two ago, that showed all of these different load recipes for Trail Boss, including one for 223. It's a very versatile powder.
My guess is it is great for fireforming. I got 6 bottles of it 2 years ago and still have about 5.75 bottles left. Or about 51.75 oz. I am loading .223s with some XTreme Bullets .224 FMJ and 4.0 gr of Trail Boss for fire forming and then will start testing loads for accuracy. The Trail Boss will also be a cheaper way to start breaking in a new barrel. The fun is in the shooting and the smell of gunsmoke in the morning...and I am gonna have some fun as soon as the new gun comes in.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Works good in the 45-70 for the Sharps too!!! Also guys are starting to turn to it for Subsonic loads for a bunch of calibers. Hodgdon had an article about using it for Subsonic loads. Basically fill the case and work backwards till you get to 1040fps.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Trail Boss is packed in 9 ounce containers. Same container as any other powder but only 9 OZ. fits in the usual 1 pounder.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Works good in the 45-70 for the Sharps too!!! Also guys are starting to turn to it for Subsonic loads for a bunch of calibers. Hodgdon had an article about using it for Subsonic loads. Basically fill the case and work backwards till you get to 1040fps.
And I picked it up for these reasons.
I already load .45Colt, and I just bought a brand new H&R Handi-Rifle in .45-70govt. I haven't loaded .45-70 yet, but I have the dies, powder, primers, data, and some loaded ammunition. The rest is academic.
I also have a friend that said he has a pet load for a sub-sonic .308, and I have a Savage Striker pistol in .308 with a threaded barrel...

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Trail Boss is packed in 9 ounce containers. Same container as any other powder but only 9 OZ. fits in the usual 1 pounder.
SO - it's FLUFFY?!?! :eek:

Reactions: HD-Mike and edster

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
SO - it's FLUFFY?!?! :eek:
It sounds real bulky for low-pressure loads. Very interesting. I see TB at our LGS every several months when pistol powders come available. It seems to go quickly.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
perforated uniquely??

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Never tried TB.

I was in the Deland, Florida area this past weekend and visited a reloading store; they had a lot of Bullseye 1# there for 29.99 each. I already have 4# so I only picked up one bottle of it. Picked up an extra 2,000 primers, which were over priced and was why I only picked up the 2K. I had planned to go on down into Orlando to BPS, but did not have the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts