Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
I finally - finally - found some handgun powder ! I've never used Winchester WST before, but it was plentiful today at a local gun store. I picked up two pounds, and if they still have it tomorrow, I'll be picking up 2 more pounds.

Now I can start reloading again and not worry so much about running out of powder. :thumb:

Administrator
Plenty of powder is comforting. I have around five pounds on the shelf now myself, and I'll be adding to that as I see it! :thumb:

Administrator
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and if anybody has any stories, good or bad, about this powder, let me know.....I've never used it before but I've seen some good reviews.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #4
Went back today, they still had quite a few one pound bottles.....I bought two more. For only $23 a pound, that's no too bad. 8)

Super Moderator
What are you loading with the WST? I see load data for .38spl, .40S&W, and .45acp.

Super Moderator

Administrator
Discussion Starter #9
I do need more load data....I have some data from Winchester's site, and my books have only a couple of recipes for my bullets....I'm primarily looking for Hornady bullets at the moment, but I'll be looking for data on Berrys bullets at some point too.

Super Moderator
PM Sent

Registered
Went back today, they still had quite a few one pound bottles.....I bought two more. For only $23 a pound, that's no too bad. 8)
23 bucks per pound is a good price, well reasonable, but good by today prices
I got BLC-2 for 20 bucks per pound online, then add 3.85 for shipping and haz mat (42.45 for total) but divide that by the 11 items that I purchased and it averages bout 3.85 additional. of course no sales tax.
I would pay 23 bucks for a pound of powder any day actually.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

Registered

Registered
I wish I could get some more and help you guys out. My LGS has 5 more of these 8lb jugs. And about 20 1 lb containers. Can I legally ship one too someone who needs some?

Administrator
Congratulations on the WST Powder score! :cool:
WST is very clean burning, has low muzzle flash and blast, and meters very very well. One of my most favorite Powders!

I use WST in 9mm, .38 Special, and .45 ACP.

.45 ACP
Under a 230 grain Berry's or Cast RN (.452) I generally run 4.8 grains or so of WST. (USPSA Major load)
Under a 200 grain Xtreme Flat Point Bullet, I run 5.2 grains of WST (USPSA Major load)
For Plinking/Target use, under a 200 grain Lyman #452460 LSWC, I run 4.8 grains of WST

50 foot accuracy of a Charles Daly 1911 Elite Field Service .45 with Xtreme 200 grain Match WST Reload
Of course, this 1911 Pistol is accurate with anything I've fed it, but my .45 24/7 OSS like this load too. YMMV.

Of course you know from my previous posting and writing, that Red Dot is my other favorite powder for the .45 ACP, particularly for jacketed Bullets, but I've made it do for others as well.

.38 Special
Under a Berry's or Cast 158 grain FP (.358 ) , I run 3.8/3.9 grains of WST ( Target/Practice load) - My favorite load in .38 Special!

9mm Luger
124 grain Cast FP - 4.4 grains of WST
124 grain Cast RN - 4.6 grains of WST
Berry's 124 grain Flat Point (.356) 4.8 grains of WST for 1130 fps - Of this load, I have consumed/shot thousands of rounds through many handguns, and it is my most favorite 9mm load!
All of my modern 9mm Pistols love this load!

Armscore/Tanfoglio RIA MAP1 9x19mm Accuracy with Match load of Berry's 124 grn FP over 4.8 grains of WST at 50 feet, offhand.
Definitely one of my better days at the Range!

Registered
I wish I could get some more and help you guys out. My LGS has 5 more of these 8lb jugs. And about 20 1 lb containers. Can I legally ship one too someone who needs some?
-- Not unless you want to do your future reloading in the fed slammer!
them postal inspectors play hard n rough!
Not sure IF a person could legally ship even with the haz mat fees/labels in place as its a controlled material, likely need a fed permit?

Administrator
Great post JWC ! And very encouraging.
You are most Welcome!

Hope the Powder works as well for You as it has for me! It's an excellent Powder that deserve more popularity and support than it has gotten. That however, is Winchester's and Hodgdon's fault.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I've loaded up some 200 grain Rainier plated FP with 4.7 grains of WST, 1.225 OAL. I won't be able to shoot them before Sand Lake though. I'll let you know afterward how it goes.

Reactions: jwc007

Administrator
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I've loaded up some 200 grain Rainier plated FP with 4.7 grains of WST, 1.225 OAL. I won't be able to shoot them before Sand Lake though. I'll let you know afterward how it goes.
Well I can't remember ever quoting my own post, but here I am. ;) I shot these rounds at Sand Lake, with really good results. Shooting them from two guns, they worked very well, very mild recoil, and pretty darn accurate. I think I may try loading some up to 4.9 grains and see how that goes, but there is nothing wrong with the 4.7g with this bullet. I'm now glad I bought 4 pounds of WST, this should make a very good load for whatever I'm loading for. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts