Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was on the used rack, couldn't believe my eyes :eek: the price said Pre-Owned and didn't look like it had any rounds shot thru it for $399.00 I put $50.00 down on it dang I'm happy.

Almost forgot to add that its in 45-70

·
32,499 Posts
Excellent find J B. It does bear watching. And, oh deer. There are other species including some elk who should be getting nervous right know, hence the puns. What's the plan for that Marlin? And if you handload, what's the recipe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I finally get my 1895 GG home I will begin to load up some rounds... my reloads have been for a C Sharps in 45-70 and a Rolling Block in 45-90.

I have plans to check out the Barnes TXS FN 250-gr and 300-gr. In the Guide Gun these loads should be fun, just as the loadings for the .444 Marlin XLR are in the 240-gr JSP. The major problem with using heavier bullets in the 45-70 is you get punishment at one end for the faster fps at the other. So its gonna be fun playing around with my loads ;D

And yes, there will be some whitetail, elk, black bears that should be getting nervous.... and if I am lucky enough to draw a moose tag, who knows ::)

·
Registered
532 Posts
That is a great find. The 45-70, in that gun should be a workhorse for what you are looking to hunt.
Congratulations. :clap:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
A great levergun at a great price. Now all you need is a BFR in 45-70 as a companion piece for it. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
J_B, You will find that Marlin very accurate & a lot of fun to shoot. Congrats. If you are looking for a very accurate bullet I think you can get the Remington 405gr SP from Cabela's or Midway. It is a very accurate bullet. Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts