Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, DH decided we would do a loop of our favorite LGS's after we went to the range today -and our checking account sure does show it!! My purchases are a heck of a lot less than his, tho'!VGB!;)

At the 2nd shop I found a Taurus 970 and filled out the paperwork while DH was playing with some AR thingy. I was sooo excited to find one (Tauri are rare round here) but I put my poker face on,bought it and didn't even ask DH!! Other than having to wait 4 weeks before I can get my hands on it to shoot it I am really tickled pink!! I've been mooning over a Tracker and this is exactly what I wanted -although I dread having to housebreak a new revolver trigger. Our transfers are taking 4 weeks now, DH thinks there's some political motivation behind that, too.

What have ya'll done about the grips on the Trackers? Those ribbers aren't exactly uncomfortable-more unconventional! I've got plenty of time to order a new set if the consensus is that's the way to go. Meanwhile, my new 5" M 94 has been great to shoot since it's come back from it's 3rd trip to Florida. It really is fixed for good!! I didn't call down there to say thank you today, but I will first thing tomorrow when the phone que is not so long. The Tauri in our gun safe seem to be multiplying -but that's a good thing!!Of couse, will provide pix and range report - but it will be a while...

· Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
By golly, it seems ya'll had a great day!

First a range trip with hubby, then off to TWO (count 'em folks...2) gun stores.

Sounds like a marriage made in Heaven. :angel:

Reactions: Raptorboy69

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By golly, it seems ya'll had a great day!

First a range trip with hubby, then off to TWO (count 'em folks...2) gun stores.

Sounds like a marriage made in Heaven. :angel:
Actually ,it was 3 gun shops - and dang it, we left a chunk of change behind in each one!Thank goodness we don't get a day off very often. Just wish we could find some 22lr ammo, tho'.....

Reactions: Raptorboy69

· Registered
16,283 Posts
^ What MikeyB said. Four WEEKS?!?
An AR thingy? In Maryland? Aren't those sort of banned there?
Why can't I find one here in gun friendly South Carolina?

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The AR thingy was in a gun shop across the state line in PA - now we have to try to get the sucker transferred to Maryland - it might be harder to do that it's worth...

Personally I'm a revolver geeze-ette and all of our rifles have wood stocks, so DH"S eyes just kinda' glazed over when he held the AR thingy and he plumb lost all reason and bought the darn thing! No wonder he didn't say anything when I bought the Taurus 970 and a little ol' Savage Crackshot 22lr falling block single shot rifle!!:)

Reactions: glenwolde

· Registered
21,219 Posts
The AR thingy was in a gun shop across the state line in PA - now we have to try to get the sucker transferred to Maryland - it might be harder to do that it's worth...

Personally I'm a revolver geeze-ette and all of our rifles have wood stocks, so DH"S eyes just kinda' glazed over when he held the AR thingy and he plumb lost all reason and bought the darn thing! No wonder he didn't say anything when I bought the Taurus 970 and a little ol' Savage Crackshot 22lr falling block single shot rifle!!:)
"AR thingy" sure does take out all the evil under tones. Congrats.

Reactions: cooper and Sekol

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts

Oh goodness a Crackshot. I like those. Had one when I was a kid.

· Registered
30,024 Posts
:shocked: "4 WEEKS, but I'm pissed off now!" Homer Simpson

Sometimes those of us that live in FREE states forget what our brothers & sisters elsewhere have to put up with.

At least you got something off your wish list...congratulations ENJOY! :yeahbaby01:

· Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a 970 at the Buffalo Gun Center and am taking it on its maiden squirrel hunt this afternoon. Topped it with a Millett red-dot and took it to the range -- amazing accuracy. More accurate than my shooting for sure.

Will post some pics later, if any bushytails are to be had.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Reactions: Sekol

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HD-Mike! I like your "handle" - It's DH backwards - very cool! DH can stand for lots of different things, all depending upon what my Darling Husband has done for or to me at any given time! He really is a sweety, tho'. He let me buy another little 22lr rifle tonight - a cute little ol' Winchester tube fed bolt action that actually fits me!! It was at our LGS/indoor range and after we finished shooting tonight I of course had to cruise the ever dwindling gun cases there and this little ol' dusty rifle just sat up and smiled at me like it wanted me to take it home! I swear it wasn't there two days ago when we cruised the cases then. I'll go back tomorrow night with the check book and pay for it and take it home and clean it up to shoot on Friday - IF we don't get this horrendous snow storm they're talking about!

Now, all we need to find is some dang 22 lr ammo! I swear that all these manufacturers that are claiming to be working 24/7 producing ammo are either sending it to outer space - or selling all of it to the government, 'cause no one that I know of has seen any of it! I do believe that it could all very well be a conspiracy. Oops - guess I shouldn't have said that...The Man could be watching...

Some of the guys on the forum here have been starting my education regarding air guns - they don't need 22 lr ammo - so right now the idea to get one and try it is looking pretty good! DH even thinks it's a good idea, too. Of course he's looking at some European mega beer can shooter that will group to a nickle diameter hole at like a gazzlion yards or something - and cost just as many dollars! Now I know why he didn't say anything when I decided to adopt this little o' Winchester...and he thinks he has me fooled!!!:)

Reactions: HD-Mike

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just picked up a 970 at the Buffalo Gun Center and am taking it on its maiden squirrel hunt this afternoon. Topped it with a Millett red-dot and took it to the range -- amazing accuracy. More accurate than my shooting for sure.

Will post some pics later, if any bushytails are to be had.

Hope you enjoy yours.
Ohhhhh - I want to see, I want to see!!!DH put a red dot on something he's got - can't remember right now 'cause it'snot one I shoot! Is it easy to put on? Do you need to tap any holes or anything? How far out does it help you to shoot? If I was one of those furry little tree rats in your neighborhood I'd be running for the hills right now! Let us know how your hunt went!:rolleyes:

· Registered
6,531 Posts
HD-Mike! I like your "handle" - It's DH backwards - very cool! DH can stand for lots of different things, all depending upon what my Darling Husband has done for or to me at any given time! He really is a sweety, tho'.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know you mention him a lot and I seem to mention my wife a lot in my posts. In my world, it is because she is my best friend and we do everything together from riding motorcycles, shooting guns, or cruising in our 1950 Ford Panel Truck. I am thinking you and DH probably share the same closeness that we share. We have been married for 35 years this May. The "handle" I chose stands for Harley-Davidson Mike and interesting choice of the term handle. In the 70's, I was a big CB radio nut and handle was your name you went by on the radio. I was known around Indianapolis as 'Billy Jack'.

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know you mention him a lot and I seem to mention my wife a lot in my posts. In my world, it is because she is my best friend and we do everything together from riding motorcycles, shooting guns, or cruising in our 1950 Ford Panel Truck. I am thinking you and DH probably share the same closeness that we share. We have been married for 35 years this May. The "handle" I chose stands for Harley-Davidson Mike and interesting choice of the term handle. In the 70's, I was a big CB radio nut and handle was your name you went by on the radio. I was known around Indianapolis as 'Billy Jack'.
Thanks for the post, HD! This summer DH & I will have our 35th anniversary, too -I just counted back and realized it! We've always worked together -from way back when we first met while in the Army, thru grad school, real jobs, and then our own retail service & sales business. No retirement for us, we just plan to work until we aren't breathing any more -and hopefully we'll do that together, too! So we are all probably from the same generation and that's why I know what a handle is!! Take a ride on that HD for us when the skys are blue, the air crisp, and the sun shining! I've only ever ridden one once -and it was a blast!! By the way ,DH's pop had an old Ford Panel truck from the 50's and we all cried when they took it away about10 yrs ago...

Reactions: HD-Mike

· Registered
6,531 Posts
Thanks for the post, HD! This summer DH & I will have our 35th anniversary, too -I just counted back and realized it! We've always worked together -from way back when we first met while in the Army, thru grad school, real jobs, and then our own retail service & sales business. No retirement for us, we just plan to work until we aren't breathing any more -and hopefully we'll do that together, too! So we are all probably from the same generation and that's why I know what a handle is!! Take a ride on that HD for us when the skys are blue, the air crisp, and the sun shining! I've only ever ridden one once -and it was a blast!! By the way ,DH's pop had an old Ford Panel truck from the 50's and we all cried when they took it away about10 yrs ago...
I too had to do the math to come up with 35 years! Too bad you watched that Panel go away. They are hard to find and becoming desirable on the hot rod circuit. Been from Maine to California, Canada to Florida Keys, and just about everyplace between on our motorcycles with her in my mirror. She rides better than most of my buddies and we have the biggest ones Harley makes. Hers is purple and black and her carry gun is pink and black. I hit the jack pot when I found her!

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YOU sure did - and I know that she must think likewise, since she has her very own Harley!! Good ridding!

· Registered
816 Posts
Now that I have several hundred rounds through mine it has been flawless. Rimfire ammo is always dirty so I try to keep the forcing cone and cylinder face brushed clean to prevent tight operation.

I put a Hogue grip on mine within minutes of picking it up, right there at the gun shop counter before walking down to their range. I am not a fan of the squirmy feeling ribber grip. Not saying it is bad, just my personal preference is in stiffer grips.

As would be expected the 6-1/2" barrel makes for a handgun that is far more accurate than I am. The high visibility sights are much appreciated by my tired old eyeballs.

· Registered
4 Posts
Ohhhhh - I want to see, I want to see!!!DH put a red dot on something he's got - can't remember right now 'cause it'snot one I shoot! Is it easy to put on? Do you need to tap any holes or anything? How far out does it help you to shoot? If I was one of those furry little tree rats in your neighborhood I'd be running for the hills right now! Let us know how your hunt went!:rolleyes:
Well, my hunt went very well -- for the 6 squirrels and 2 rabbits I saw. Hunting with a handgun is nothing, if not a challenge. Hunting for tiny little squirrels who can hear you coming through the crunchy snow and ice is a challenge of a whole different sort. I took two shots at two of the closest squirrels. Miss, and miss.

Try try again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.