Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this isnt breaking any rules by posting this since gandermountain is not a sponcer.

Anyways I went to gandermountain today looking for so pieces I was missing from my current cleaning kit and to get some cleaning items for my new PT1911. Well I ran across a pretty nice little kit on sale at around half price that contains MANY caliber sizes in it. Here is the link to the kits. 1 of is a wood case 28piece and the other is a steel case 62 piece. The 28 piece for 12.99 is all I needed to handle my handgun and shotguns. Might not be top of the line but gets the job done. Just thought I would pass this along if anyone is looking for a cheap cleaning kit.

Gander Mountain® > Firearms > Firearm Accessories

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The 62 piece set looks a lot like a Winchester branded kit I purchased at Wal-mart last year on clearance for $12.00

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Gotta love finding a good deal on cleaning kits. Those brushes wear down far too quick, and you end up using other caliber brushes and more effort to do as good of a job. Now that o think about it, i need to get a new kit since i've worn out my .40, .45, .9mm, .357, and the .410 brushes over the last year. I can't even complain about the $15 i spent on mine 2 years ago, but i definitely need some new ones to optimize my cleaning time and habits.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
The 28-piece looks like the one I bought from Cabela's a year or two ago. Good price on yours, though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the 28 piece and used it when I got home on 1 12 gauge and my pt1911. Worked well. The only complaint I have with it is the brisle brush that looks like a tooth brush I noticed was loosing brisles easily. To avoid them cause problems from being left in the gun I quit using it. But other than that it was worth the money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll stick with my Otis kits for quality, but you can't go bad for those prices...

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
You reckon that one of those cleaning kits would work better than just tyeing a bunch of knots in your boot lace, dipping it in motor oil and pulling it through the barrel a couple of times???? :D

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: mesadeldoug

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
You reckon that one of those cleaning kits would work better than just tyeing a bunch of knots in your boot lace, dipping it in motor oil and pulling it through the barrel a couple of times???? :D

View attachment 21060
I don't have an AK yet, so i better stick with my current methods.

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I have about ten cleaning kits that were gifts I use a good multi gun cleaning kit that I spent about $50. It has a coated rod and better brushes. I also have the wood kit that you show its a lot of show for something that wears out fast the quality just is not there for good use. JMO

I would buy several thing separately the rods I would use a carbon fiber rods they are expensive but do not damage your guns. And quality brushes and jags. I own several M-16 style brushes for general cleaning. I prefer nylon to Brass or any form of metal. And I love bore snakes to do a quick cleaning in between major tear downs. Again just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts