Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a tradition in my family to attend this event every year, this will be my 32nd year attending. My question is do you guys (ones that have been or are familiar with it) think it would be ok to carry there?

The only parts I can find in the law book pertaining to such an event are the ones that state you cant carry at an amusement park or at a professional sporting event. I believe the amusement park law is null & void because it says it has to operate atleast 120 days a year, where as the Rodeo only operates for 3 weeks. The professional sporting event one is the kicker. I'm aware that bull riding and what not is a professional sport but that actual part of the whole event is 2 hours or less of the entire day. The rest of the time is spent walking around in the fair type amusement park or looking at all the different animals and browsing the exhibit hall. Those are the places I'd be most concerned. I've never been very comfortable around a bunch of people especially strangers and I'm now even more uncomfortable when I have the wife and our 19 month old son with us.

Long story short and assuming there are no signs at the entrance stating that its illegal to carry on the premises, what do you think?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd check with the event coordinators, but if I had to guess it would be a no go for CC.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
The consensus opinion in Houston is the BBQ and Carnival are O.K., but you can't carry it into the stadium as that is a venue for a professional sporting event.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
It may simply be best to call over to the stock show and ask. I would say, Yes you could carry. After all you are allowed to carry at the state fair of Texas. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Searching forum discussions, someone mentioned that 30.06 signs where put up a couple of years ago, this is the Rodeo web site Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo » General FAQ, you might find something there or call them, there is a Phone number posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
We went today to Fort Worth Stock Show. I called ahead of time to see if they allowed concealed carry and the girl said that it is not allowed. However, we didn't see even one sign on the ground about weapons. There were no 30.06 signs or even illegal ones. There were no metal detectors, we walked right in and we brought in a small cooler for baby formula and they didn't even look in it. If they intended to prevent concealed carry I don't know how you could tell.

Based on the crowd there I would also bet that it was a well-armed bunch.

Note: We did not go into the rodeo. We just walked around the grounds, stock building, gift shops etc. I can't speak to the rodeo itself.

·
Registered
703 Posts
We went today to Fort Worth Stock Show. I called ahead of time to see if they allowed concealed carry and the girl said that it is not allowed. However, we didn't see even one sign on the ground about weapons. There were no 30.06 signs or even illegal ones. There were no metal detectors, we walked right in and we brought in a small cooler for baby formula and they didn't even look in it. If they intended to prevent concealed carry I don't know how you could tell.

Based on the crowd there I would also bet that it was a well-armed bunch.

Note: We did not go into the rodeo. We just walked around the grounds, stock building, gift shops etc. I can't speak to the rodeo itself.
I saw a sign at one of the ticket booths (across the street from the official parking lot) stating that concealed carry was not allowed in many more words. Not sure about the other entrances. The one near the rodeo venue didn't seem to have that sign. There were lots of people and I didn't see enough of it to tell if it was a 30.06 sign.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
We're going on the 31st. It's a sporting event so you cannot carry when you go, irregardless of whether there is a 30.06 sign present or not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went Saturday as planned and there are 30.06 signs at every entrance in the front. There are 50 different ways to enter the place but I only know of the three facing the front of the fair grounds and the main entrance to Will Rogers coliseum. They were on the ticket boothes. What was weird is once you got inside where the animals and exhibits were I noticed in there they had the "unlicensed" carry of a concealed weapon was against the law signs but thats it. Seemed kind of contradictory but then again they have stuff going on there every day of the week thats not a professional sporting event. By the time I noticed the 30.06 sign we were already in. I was carrying my PT111 in my High Noon split descision holster with an under shirt, a button down shirt and a hoody on over it so it couldn't be seen even by the most trained eyes. Before the show started I took my sons stroller back out to the truck and dropped the gun off. I know the bad guys break the law all the time but I try not to. Plus there had to have been 200 police officers there atleast. As soon as we left to meet the family across the street for dinner though I stopped right back by the truck and got my gun.

Now I know for the upcoming years carrying there is a no go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We went Saturday as planned and there are 30.06 signs at every entrance in the front. There are 50 different ways to enter the place but I only know of the three facing the front of the fair grounds and the main entrance to Will Rogers coliseum. They were on the ticket boothes. What was weird is once you got inside where the animals and exhibits were I noticed in there they had the "unlicensed" carry of a concealed weapon was against the law signs but thats it. Seemed kind of contradictory but then again they have stuff going on there every day of the week thats not a professional sporting event. By the time I noticed the 30.06 sign we were already in. I was carrying my PT111 in my High Noon split descision holster with an under shirt, a button down shirt and a hoody on over it so it couldn't be seen even by the most trained eyes. Before the show started I took my sons stroller back out to the truck and dropped the gun off. I know the bad guys break the law all the time but I try not to. Plus there had to have been 200 police officers there atleast. As soon as we left to meet the family across the street for dinner though I stopped right back by the truck and got my gun.

Now I know for the upcoming years carrying there is a no go.
I entered on Harley Street along the stock buildings. I don't know if that's the "main" entrance, but we didn't see any 30.06 signs. I won't claim to be an expert in interpretation of this, but it seems to me that at a city owned property that has multiple events happening (stock show and a rodeo) would such a "sporting event" restriction apply to someone not actually attending the rodeo?

·
Administrator
39,938 Posts
I wouldn't think they generate more revenue from the sale of alcohol, than they do in general admissions and whatever else vendors may sell.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I entered on Harley Street along the stock buildings. I don't know if that's the "main" entrance, but we didn't see any 30.06 signs. I won't claim to be an expert in interpretation of this, but it seems to me that at a city owned property that has multiple events happening (stock show and a rodeo) would such a "sporting event" restriction apply to someone not actually attending the rodeo?
The main entrance faces Lancaster Ave. You guys came in from the side.

I thought the same. It would be ok for walking around and then when the show started and I went to put up my sons stroller I could leave the gun in the car since I would then be entering the coliseum where the "professional sporting event" was taking place. But not the case it seems.

I wouldn't think they generate more revenue from the sale of alcohol, than they do in general admissions and whatever else vendors may sell.
Aboslutely. The 51% rule in no way applies to that place. They probably sold more corndogs than beer.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't think you can carry if they are selling fried Snickers bars. The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo is in March. If I am not going into the arena where the music stars perform or the rodeo takes place, I carry. The arena where the Spurs play (can't recall name right now) is marked with bona fide 30.06 signs.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I'm with those who would say call first. I would think it qualifies as a sporrting event even though the PBR evens are only part of it. I do bet it is one heavily armed parking lot though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts