well IF you are speaking of the lack of supervision, understanding safe gun handling by the person supposedly doing the instruction I agree!I am shocked it hasn't happened more often with the
lack of supervision I've seen at some gun ranges.
A reasonable speculation derived from the lack of info in the article. More than a few times have I witnessed someone trying to remove hot brass from a sensitive location BEFORE clearing and putting the weapon down, or even using a weapon to 'remove' the case from its location.Hot brass deposited in tender areas? Such an awful thing for her family and the people who brought her to the range.
Regarding the bolded that is 99.999% true, but not 100%. Over many decades I've personally witnessed a few slam fires. They didn't result in injuries however because at the time of chambering a round the gun handler was obeying the safety rule of keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction. I also am personally aware of two defective firearms that discharged when dropped, fortunitely not resulting in any injuries. Of course this is NOT the situation in the OP however.Yes, this is a terrible tragedy. No details about the circumstances but the young lady and the group she was with apparently weren't well trained on the 4 Universal Laws of Firearm Safety. It is interesting that the article calls this an accident, ruling out foul play or negligence. Here's a heads up for the Officer who said that: ALL unintentionally discharges of a firearm are negligent, period. Guns don't fire themselves; they need help.If she caught a round down her blouse unexpectedly and did not know how to handle the situation, that could be a cause but the article is silent on that. I can't tell you how many times I have told women that they need to button the top button on their blouse at the range. Those who ignored me wound up with a hot empty down their blouse. Three guesses were it went once in the blouse.
I feel very, very badly for the young lady's friends who were present at the tragedy and for her family. A terrible, senseless loss.
yep!Hot brass deposited in tender areas? Such an awful thing for her family and the people who brought her to the range.