Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I am shocked it hasn't happened more often with the
lack of supervision I've seen at some gun ranges.

·
Registered
36,924 Posts
I am shocked it hasn't happened more often with the
lack of supervision I've seen at some gun ranges.
well IF you are speaking of the lack of supervision, understanding safe gun handling by the person supposedly doing the instruction I agree!
that's one thing about outdoor range in general the amount of oversight and range officers can be non existent.
generally indoor ranges are much better supervised, at least in these parts.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
No real info, no details, no description of the actual incident. Hard to speculate on exactly what happened but I'm sure the range is backtracking big time to determine what they did or did not do to prevent this incident. A tragedy no doubt for all involved. Just horrible.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
From the story:

“No foul play or negligence is noted.”

If the gun didn't shoot itself, it was either one or the other. But, a tragedy nonetheless.

Reactions: Stroker

·
Super Moderator
37,614 Posts
Hot brass deposited in tender areas? Such an awful thing for her family and the people who brought her to the range.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Hot brass deposited in tender areas? Such an awful thing for her family and the people who brought her to the range.
A reasonable speculation derived from the lack of info in the article. More than a few times have I witnessed someone trying to remove hot brass from a sensitive location BEFORE clearing and putting the weapon down, or even using a weapon to 'remove' the case from its location.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Yes, this is a terrible tragedy. No details about the circumstances but the young lady and the group she was with apparently weren't well trained on the 4 Universal Laws of Firearm Safety. It is interesting that the article calls this an accident, ruling out foul play or negligence. Here's a heads up for the Officer who said that: ALL unintentionally discharges of a firearm are negligent, period. Guns don't fire themselves; they need help. If she caught a round down her blouse unexpectedly and did not know how to handle the situation, that could be a cause but the article is silent on that. I can't tell you how many times I have told women that they need to button the top button on their blouse at the range. Those who ignored me wound up with a hot empty down their blouse. Three guesses were it went once in the blouse.

I feel very, very badly for the young lady's friends who were present at the tragedy and for her family. A terrible, senseless loss.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Sad tragedy. Another good reason to stay clear of people with guns.

With respect to range supervision, I don't know what that is. The range I go to has a 2x4 window that looks in to the pistol range from the check in counter, but not all positions in the range are visible from that window. There sure as heck ain't a range master in the room. When I walk in there I'm at the mercy of any yahoo that happens to be in there with me.

It was refreshing to hear these words from an elected official: “Her family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers,” Weber said.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I belonged to Tri-State range for three of four years. It is a beautiful range, but I got tired of the drunks that kept showing up. The range is off the beaten path and quite often vandalized. The clubhouse had a way of becoming trashed on a regular basis. I hated to leave, but many of their shooters were what I considered out of control back in the 90's.

Look at their FB photos and you'll see beer cans on display.

https://www.facebook.com/search/168771623171494/photos-in

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Prayers Sent!!!!!

Reactions: Mark40

·
Registered
63 Posts
Perhaps someone talked her into shooting a gun she could not handle. Range folks think this is very hilarious. When I go to my local indoor range, I'm the first one there and usually finish before anyone else shows up. I'm not a professional gun fighter though like many here. I'm usually just testing stuff.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Condolences to the family.

One unfortunate aspect to this is that as anti-gun as most media are, something like this gets glossed over or trotted out as another example of how 'bad' and 'dangerous' guns are, to prove a ideological point.

If the media were more gun-neutral, a tragedy such as this could be fairly and accurately reported so that people who aren't used to handling guns could benefit from the lesson to be learned about gun safety.

Sure, the incident will get play on gun forums -- where 95.2% of the participants are familiar with similar situations that didn't result in tragedies; but unless there was something unique about this event, the discussion is just carrying coals to Newcastle.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Yes, this is a terrible tragedy. No details about the circumstances but the young lady and the group she was with apparently weren't well trained on the 4 Universal Laws of Firearm Safety. It is interesting that the article calls this an accident, ruling out foul play or negligence. Here's a heads up for the Officer who said that: ALL unintentionally discharges of a firearm are negligent, period. Guns don't fire themselves; they need help.If she caught a round down her blouse unexpectedly and did not know how to handle the situation, that could be a cause but the article is silent on that. I can't tell you how many times I have told women that they need to button the top button on their blouse at the range. Those who ignored me wound up with a hot empty down their blouse. Three guesses were it went once in the blouse.

I feel very, very badly for the young lady's friends who were present at the tragedy and for her family. A terrible, senseless loss.
Regarding the bolded that is 99.999% true, but not 100%. Over many decades I've personally witnessed a few slam fires. They didn't result in injuries however because at the time of chambering a round the gun handler was obeying the safety rule of keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction. I also am personally aware of two defective firearms that discharged when dropped, fortunitely not resulting in any injuries. Of course this is NOT the situation in the OP however.

·
Super Moderator
37,614 Posts

·
Registered
36,924 Posts
yep!
seen that more than a few times, usually involves no caps/hats worn, low cut neck lines, open toed shoes, and navel showing pants here, and that's just the guys that it happens to!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts