Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the new tires for the front and went to get a front end alignment.
As far as I know, looking at the front of the truck, the tires slant slightly out at the bottom on the ground.
That is why the other tires wore to the steel bands on the inside.
So I took it to the tire/auto repair shop and they looked at it and said all these parts are bad and need to be replaced.
OK. Nothing bad to say about the shop, I just think the quote is totally unreasonable.
Come on! $75 an hour? And they pay the mechanics maybe $20/hour? ASE Certified, of course.
I looked up the parts at Advance Auto and they are half the price or less than quoted.
Methinks I can buy the parts and the work myself, then get the alignment.
I have done ball joints before and other front end work. Don't like it, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to save money.
Ball Joints - $61.90 each? Advance Auto - $20 to $30 each.
Upper control arm - $77.24 each? Advance Auto - about $60 each. OK. Not much markup there.
Sway bar end links - $38 each? Advance Auto - $21 each

So I'm looking at about $220 from Advance for parts to their $376 and I don't pay for labor doing it myself.

Auto repair is a ripoff, IMO.

repair.jpg

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Really? It cost me more than $1400 for the same work on my Chevy Tahoe (which I have no time to do and don't have the tool set up any more). Go get Moog parts, pay a little more and keep 'em greased, and they last for ever.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I second the buy MOOG parts, I bought the cheap O'reilly ball joints and was replacing them again about 3 years later. The sad thing is the shop that said they were bad the first time was full of crap, the factory ball joints were still good but by the time I had it apart I decided to replace them anyway.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Haven't messed with them in a while. If it's the one I'm thinking about it's quite the pain but doable. Make sure the front coils are chained well when you start dropping the suspension with a good floor jack. And a bfh.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Haven't messed with them in a while. If it's the one I'm thinking about it's quite the pain but doable. Make sure the front coils are chained well when you start dropping the suspension with a good floor jack. And a bfh. Probably some decent youtubes to assist you.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
$75 an hour is cheap for shop labor. That being said, I don't pay it unless the job is something I absolutely do not want to tackle. I'm too cheap to even pay a shop for an oil change. That and I don't expect the work to be done right when they finish either.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
People used to steal cattle for a living, now they run repair shops..:mad:

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I just went through this with my wifes saturn. Shop quote for spark plugs and one coil pack was $636. I bought plugs and both coil packs and did it myself for $188.

·
Banned
824 Posts
if you were only paying for the labor the guy might as well perform the work outside under an oak tree.

shops cost money.
wear and tear on tools cost money.
electricity costs money.
insurance costs money.
book keeping costs money.
secured storage of your vehicle costs money.
parts ordering and pickup costs money.

and on and on and on.

and by the way - we havent even discussed what the mans time is actually worth.
sounds to me like you have no idea what it actually costs to run a business.

grab your tools and get to work. good luck.

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
if you were only paying for the labor the guy might as well perform the work outside under an oak tree.

shops cost money.
electricity costs money.
insurance costs money.

and on and on and on.

All of the above is true and you haven't touched on the entrepreneurial profit that is due for the shop owner laying his cash on the line and taking the risk. It can take months of little or no profit also before the business takes off. Add to it the need to keep an eye on the competition and stay with them on pricing. The small shops probably get a boost from the dealerships in this regard as they are usually the high end of the mark and the small shop can just stay under their price level.

If you have the skills and the time, DIY is the way to go to save bucks. Transportation is expensive, whether you pay a car payment or pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Can't say for your shop, but most shops around here use Advance auto parts or Autozone to get parts. That way they don't have to wait a few days for parts to come in and( I'm guessing) you don't have to have money tied up in inventory just sitting around.

So they mark stuff up.

Truth be told, I think that price is pretty cheap . Around here, it would cost about $1,100 fot that repair.

One thing to consider is this: You install it and screw something up, youb start all over.

You pay them to do the repair and they screw it up, they fix it on their dime over and over until it's right, weather it takes 2 or 15 hours and cost you nothing.

Changing spark plugs or brake rotors doesn't take a rocket scientist, but when you start taking apart your front suspension, you have a lot of spring tension and force there.

Taking aprt is somewhat easy, but you could get hurt very easily. Putting back together is difficult and you could get hurt even easier.

Lok at it this way: If you do manage to get it together and just want them to adjust toe in/out, camber and alignment......depending on how much they have to adjust it, they may have to take it back apart anyways if it needs shims added, taken out, moved "X": amount.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts

shops cost money.
electricity costs money.
insurance costs money.

and on and on and on.

The real truth here, is that 99.99999999999% of auto repair customers are out just looking to rip you off and have obamanoid delusions of entitlement.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
And not to forget:
Local shops are not getting the easy jobs like they used to.
Oil change was 3000 miles now 7500.
Tranny fluid was 24,000. New Hyundai's are sealed system tranny's.
Air filter was once a year. Now never.
Spark plugs was 24000 miles now 100,000.
New tires 15,000 miles. Now 75,000.

Me also thinks you have forgotten medical coverage for employees.
$357 for labor sounds cheap as hell.
You can muck around for 3 days doing it yourself. Or you can work your normal job and earn that much or more.
Have you forgot what the great Clint Eastwood said ?
"A man's gotta know his limits."

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Check RockAuto.com for parts. You can get both control arms by Moog for under $60.
Ball joints for around $12 ea.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts