Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new to me Harley Sportster. I've talked to different riders about how they carry. Some feel that level 2 retention is a must, and some just carry in their everyday rig, mostly IWB kydex.
What say you?
I haven't been on a bike in about 8 yrs, and wasn't carrying then. I carry now all the time (unless I'm going to work, which is on a military installation).
I feel like any of my regular carry guns in their kydex holsters would be fine. However, the folks who "have to have a gun in a holster with a button" to release said pistol remarks are floating around the back of my mind.
Thoughts? Comments?
How do you carry when riding a motorcycle?
Sorry if my thoughts are all over the ace. I text like I think...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Although I’ve carried in my standard IWB holster while riding I prefer to just put my gun in a jacket pocket. I’ll carry my 709 Slim when riding because it’s my lightest thinnest pistol. I wear a motorcycle jacket while I ride and usually just slip it into one of the side hand pockets that zip shut. Or my jacket has an inside pocket in the chest area which is the pocket I prefer to put it in. Not quickly accessible in a pocket but I’m out motorcycle riding not walking through Walmart. But I still have a gun on me. I also have a vest I’ll wear now and then and use pockets on that too. I like having the pistol in a pocket that zips or velcros where I feel it’s nice and secure.

Reactions: Car_Doc

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies y'all. I'm still on the fence about this. I'm kind of leaning toward finding retention holsters for my 2 primary carry pistols (Smith and Wesson CSX and Springfield XDE). I almost never carry OWB, so, that'll be wierd to me. But it seems the most secure...maybe.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Shoulder holster. Horizontal for the smaller pieces, and vertical for my 1911. I bought a new leather with a carry pocket in it, but it's so poorly designed, that I'm sticking with what I've used for years. We have open carry in my state, so sometimes I'll wear a drop leg tactical or a real 1911 leather holster.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Don't ride bikes- ain't that coordinated and I can admit it- but I've been concealed carrying for over 30 years. Troll's use of a shoulder rig for concealed carry strikes me as the most plausible given the circumstances- mode of dress and activity level.

Biker jackets and riding leathers aren't usually long enough not to ride up past the belt line when seated- much less the slight forward lean when at the controls that many bike riders use. That pretty much eliminates concealment at the belt level if you share my 'concealed means concealed' philosophy.

My concern is what happens when you go down. You're putting a big chunk of steel right next to your body and you're gonna be hitting asphalt or concrete hard if you take a spill.

·
Registered
37,586 Posts
I just mounted a 50 cal machine gun on the front of the side car, its effective especially at moving vehicles but honestly after doing that it seemed to really cut down on the road rage incidents for me!

Sleeve Textile Gesture Event Street fashion

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
I carry cross draw (OWB or IWB) with simple leather or nylon holsters, no added retention. Sometimes I pocket carry as well.

I never got the need to add retention. As long as the bike retains me, I have no issues. :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I carry cross draw (OWB or IWB) with simple leather or nylon holsters, no added retention. Sometimes I pocket carry as well.

I never got the need to add retention. As long as the bike retains me, I have no issues. :D
I hadn't thought about cross draw. Thats an interesting thought. I'll be pretty much upright on this bike. That might work out well. Additionally, when my shirt rides up in the back from the wind, I won't be advertising that I'm carrying. I like it;)

·
Registered
32,714 Posts
Shoulder holster which all are crossdraw, and since I am left handed, works out great!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I just mounted a 50 cal machine gun on the front of the side car, its effective especially at moving vehicles but honestly after doing that it seemed to really cut down on the road rage incidents for me!
Is that all?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I carry my G3c in a leather OWB pancake holster with a thumb break retention strap when I ride.

On Christmas Eve 2021, I was hit by a car and was knocked off my Sportster and into a tree. With all of the impact and rolling, the G3c stayed in the holster, even though the impact was enough to move the safety into the fire position.

I didn't get any bruising from the pistol. The heavy leather and good belt probably helped a lot with that.

A shoulder holster might have cracked a rib on impact, and I don't carry IWB, so I don't know what would have happened in a crash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My jacket has a right & left chest pocket with vertical zippers. I'm left-handed so I keep my carry pistol in a kydex holster in the right pocket. Getting it out with my left hand is quick & easy with a micro 9mm or 38 snub nose but not enough room for something bigger.

·
Registered
Have more then you have room to list them
29 Posts
No matter how you decide to carry just make sure it’s left hand carry so you can keep your hand on the wick. To be honest I use a off hand shoulder holster
When I am on my sled usually under a vest or light jacket

1 - 20 of 25 Posts