Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bud's has the P1/P38 (for runner to Beretta 92) WWII models on special right now for a good
price in my opinion. I owned one of these years ago and a pretty fun gun to shoot and good to have for collectors.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411548126

Reactions: dogranch

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
My son inherited one of those (P38) from his grandfather.
A real piece of workmanship.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I wonder how those alloy frames hold out. I have always wanted the P38. They are a piece of workmanship that transcends time. I'd just as soon use it as anything else out there. Had a friend with one and spent a lot of time shooting it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I had one of those that I bought used in the early 80's. It was a good little pistol.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah I might put one on layaway then I'd be hesitant to shoot it if it's still sealed up and unfired really.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Layway, hmm. I wish you had not reminded me of that!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Layway, hmm. I wish you had not reminded me of that!
Yeah I just put one on layaway. That's TWO I have at buds on layaway now I ordered one of those S&W model 10's they have to...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Glad I got one reserved. Only problem is it'll cost me an extra 300 cause I'm sure once I get it I won't have the heart to shoot it since it's still brand new and I'll need a surplus one I can shoot =P

·
Administrator
17,583 Posts
These are new Post War Production P1's, not WWII P38's. All WWII production was Steel Framed. Most P1's have a Steel frame re-enforcing bolt in the Aluminum Frame by the Trigger Pivot Pin, for use with +P level Ammunition. These are new Walther Production over-runs that were put into War Reserve storage back in the 1970's or so. They were declared surplus/obsolete and sold off. Most were never issued.

They have been trickling into the USA in great numbers off and on for about 5 years now, as they are weeded out of the various German Warehouses. In general, these can be very good deals if you don't mind the lower magazine capacity. Walther Quality at a very nice price! Buds now shows out of stock.

I have three P38's. One WWII Walther Mfg (AC44), and two post War Police Issue. Neither of my Post War Pistols are P1's, but are Aluminum framed P38's. One of my Police Issue guns was issued but showed little use and some holster wear. The other Post War P38 was never issued and was an Armory wall hanger. The only Gunsmithing the Pistols have needed has been the replacement of a few Springs, except the one that was never issued. Walther had some crazy idea of using plastic Recoil Spring Guide Rods on my Post War P38's and the issued P38 needed new ones. I replaced those Guide Rods with Steel ones in both Post War P38's. Most P1's have the Steel Recoil Spring Guide Rods. If you get one that has the Plastic Guide Rods, replace them with Steel Guide Rods at your leisure.

Great handguns! I've never wanted to be without a P38!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a surplus P38 which was an army issued gun. The finish is in good shape and it functions perfectly, however it shoots low..

My favorite metal gun is the CZ 75B. IMO, it blows the P38/P1 out of the water..

P1010649.jpg

P1010519.jpg

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
For that price I might opt for a modern Walther PPQ or a PPS. I thought about getting one for sentimental reasons though. My Grandfather worked at Sprewerks in 1938/39. He was an engineer responsible for the assembly line and manufacturing of the original P-38. Pretty cool you can still get a P-1 in that kind of shape though!

·
Administrator
17,583 Posts
For that price I might opt for a modern Walther PPQ or a PPS. I thought about getting one for sentimental reasons though. My Grandfather worked at Sprewerks in 1938/39. He was an engineer responsible for the assembly line and manufacturing of the original P-38. Pretty cool you can still get a P-1 in that kind of shape though!
The new PPQ's are very very accurate!

If you want a P38 like your Grandfather had a hand in building, you might look for a WWII P38 with the CYQ Code, which is Spreewerke. You will have to research the best years of manufacture.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I actually just sold my PPQ...lol I loved the gun, but a local shop offered me more than I paid for it used, so I had to do it..lol I figured I'd put the money towards something else..

·
Administrator
17,583 Posts
I actually just sold my PPQ...lol I loved the gun, but a local shop offered me more than I paid for it used, so I had to do it..lol I figured I'd put the money towards something else..
Another PPQ? Actually, you might try a 9mm Taurus 24/7 Pro. I'm very happy with mine. CZ SP-01's are nice too!
Would like to get a Walther PPQ or a P99, but I'm happy with what I have for now.

Had that sort of deal happen with a ParaOrdnance P14 and a SigArms P226 during the dark years of the 1994 AWB. Have had second thoughts about the P226, but I really don't miss either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts