Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...murder is not one of the top fifteen causes of death in the U.S. Seems awfully coincidental when you consider how many folks are carrying concealed. Is there a correlation? I believe there is. Murder off the top fifteen

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The writers recognize what is reported, Homicide is down, but they will never give credit to gun ownership and CHL licenses being up as the reason, no matter how obvious it is; Some folks just can't see the forest for the trees!

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I disagree with that finding. When you look at the other caused listed with in the top 15 causes of death, too many of them could be traced back to the root cause. Such as many forms of cancer are caused by materials that were used back in a time when the side effects were not know. Or covered up. How many respiratory infections are results of air born pollutants released by large companies and processing plants. How many deaths can be traced back to side affects of drugs taken for another illness or medical condition.
Many of these could be looked at as a form of manslaughter.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
"But criminologists have had difficulty explaining the recent declines, and some have simply chalked it up to good police work." - Yes the government is doing a better job than ever protecting us. People being able to protect themselves, yeah right that's fantasy right from the land of unicorns and rainbows!:rolleyes:

Not to mention the fact that if a mugger or home invader is killed by an armed home owner/prospective victim the net result is that that BG doesn't get a chance to be a repeat offender!

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I disagree with that finding. When you look at the other caused listed with in the top 15 causes of death, too many of them could be traced back to the root cause. Such as many forms of cancer are caused by materials that were used back in a time when the side effects were not know. Or covered up. How many respiratory infections are results of air born pollutants released by large companies and processing plants. How many deaths can be traced back to side affects of drugs taken for another illness or medical condition.
Many of these could be looked at as a form of manslaughter.
Gee, Jonjen, I see where you are coming from, particularly if looking at mines dating back from the 1930's and beyond...but that was an accepted way of life and as sad as it is, we are talking about a far more recent type of life and tied to what is caused by a violent, sudden demise of folks, rather than a slow (even if methodical) method of killing! Your liberal side is showing!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I do believe in more guns and less crime. But, you will never get the liberals too admit it. I think in their minds that they think it`s due to the police and the so-called gun control. In reality, they are in complete denial!!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gee, Jonjen, I see where you are coming from, particularly if looking at mines dating back from the 1930's and beyond...but that was an accepted way of life and as sad as it is, we are talking about a far more recent type of life and tied to what is caused by a violent, sudden demise of folks, rather than a slow (even if methodical) method of killing! Your liberal side is showing!
I thought what he was saying was that the murder rate fell because other causes of death increased - at least that's the way I understood it. It's not borne out in the statistics though - life expectancy in the U.S. went up in conjunction with the murder rate going down, which would tend to suggest lower overall deaths.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
not all republicans are pro gun, here in ohio the last governers race the NRA endorsed Ted Strickland (D) over John Kasiach (R). all ccw laws and changes for the better moved quicker under strickland.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I thought what he was saying was that the murder rate fell because other causes of death increased - at least that's the way I understood it. It's not borne out in the statistics though - life expectancy in the U.S. went up in conjunction with the murder rate going down, which would tend to suggest lower overall deaths.
I didn't see it that way, because we are talking about recent death rates which should all be reducing death rates caused from work place environments. Reduction of death rates due to asbestos and lead exposure and other toxic exposure should have been reduced dramatically over the past 40 years. How long has OSHA been in existence? workplace injury and death should have gone down at a far faster rate than death by homicide, unless we are talking about China and India!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There has been a steady drop in the number of murders nationally every year since 2006. And that happened while the U.S. population steadily rose during the same period. Which would tend to suggest that the drop in the murder rate is even more significant on a per capita basis. Here's the numbers - U.S. Crime Rate Statistics

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I find it funny that the libs can't see or just won't admit that the cities with the strictest gun control are the cities with the highest murder/crime rates.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Criminals rarely commit only 1 crime and a dead criminal commits no more crimes so when a criminal dies during the commission of a crime the criminal pool shrinks and the crime rate drops.

This seems pretty straight forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts