Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring the web looking for information on holsters for my G2 Compact, and have figured out a couple of things I wanted to pass on, after hanging out at the local gun shop fit checking holsters for an hour.

First, holsters for the 24/7 pro, PT111, for the most part, do not fit the G2. Some nylon holsters work, but I hate nylon anyway so I didn't even waste my time with that. If your gun shop carries Galco, fobus, or blackhawk SERPA holsters, look for something that fits the Springfield XDM with 3.8 inch barrel, or XD with 3 or 4 inch barrel. On the serpa holster you might have to do very slight modification for the slide release so that your G2 will seat properly.

On the Galco Kingtuk, the fit is nearly perfect, and it's what I ended up getting. I took it home and spent about 10 minutes with a hair dryer softening the Kydex around the trigger guard and along the righthand side just beneath the slide, and then pressing in with the end of a screwdriver handle to get a better retention and overall fit. It's comfortable, but make sure you have slightly large pants, since this holster tends to take up a little more room than normal IWB holsters. I had to loosen up two holes in my belt to get it to fit. Also, for skinnier folks, printing may be minimized my canting the entire holster forward, and moving it as far back as is possible, but still within reach. I had very little print to begin with, but also learned that tucking in my shirt reduced printing. This is the perfect holster for anyone that has to tuck in. If you want to spend the extra money and time getting a Crossbreed or Theis, that's perfectly fine. I personally liked the savings, and I'm a firm believer in supporting my local gun shop and buying locally.

Galco belt holsters also work great for use under a coat, or a long shirt.

Fobus paddle holsters work, but they are better for range use, or under a coat. They print quite a bit regardless of how loose your shirt is.

By the way, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a couple years, as I've carried the PT111 for quite a while. I just thought I would finally join and contribute after having issues finding what I needed.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Welcome Aboard, and Greetings from Ft Worth, TX.

Thanks for the informative write-up :thumb:, however you could have saved yourself a little effort :bang: ... Theis holsters has a link on this site and makes a dedicated holster. I have the G2C-45 and the Theis holster. I got the holster with the gun, so I haven't dealt with Theis directly, but have read many positive reviews here. I'm sure we all appreciate the detailed and creative solution, and hopefully you'll find that that is what we all try help out with on this forum. I've found lots of useful info, and had lots of friendly support. Thanks again, and Welcome. :)

P.S.
Since there aren't many (that I know of) G2 owners here yet, does your trigger reset to DA from SA when you change mags, not using the decocker???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Aboard, and Greetings from Ft Worth, TX.

Thanks for the informative write-up :thumb:, however you could have saved yourself a little effort :bang: ... Theis holsters has a link on this site and makes a dedicated holster. I have the G2C-45 and the Theis holster. I got the holster with the gun, so I haven't dealt with Theis directly, but have read many positive reviews here. I'm sure we all appreciate the detailed and creative solution, and hopefully you'll find that that is what we all try help out with on this forum. I've found lots of useful info, and had lots of friendly support. Thanks again, and Welcome. :)

P.S.
Since there aren't many (that I know of) G2 owners here yet, does your trigger reset to DA from SA when you change mags, not using the decocker???

I mentioned Theis in my previous post. I try to support local gun shops, and Doc gave me a pretty good discount on the Kingtuk since G2 holsters are scarce. I might look at getting one in the future though.

As far as resetting to DA. After I've fired the first round, the G2 goes into SA. If I remove the magazine, and release the slide with an empty magazine, or no magazine, it resets to DA. If I use a loaded magazine and release the slide, it stays in SA for the first shot. It also resets to DA on a misfire. I believe there is some kind of mechanism that is dependent on a round being chambered to place or keep the weapon in single action after being fired.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Oops! I must have mis-read 'Theis' as 'this', while nursing my coffee this morning.:D Thanks for the info ref. the trigger. Sounds like it is working properly, I just needed a little reassurance as I've had some issues with CS on that. My trigger was resetting to DA when I inserted a fresh mag, but CS was telling me 'that is how it is designed'. Again, Welcome, and Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, it shouldn't reset unless you released the slide between loaded mags and either decocked it or pulled the trigger without a round in the chamber. It shouldn't decock itself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
JD, Welcome! Good input and feed back. I have a Galco King Tuk, did you change (push in) the indent that snaps over the trigger guard???
Thanks,
Frosty

·
Registered
61 Posts
More greetings from Fort Worth. I agree re: using holsters designated as being for the XD Compact. For my G2 .45 I wound up getting a Blackhawk paddle/belt changeable version for OWB, and a "Masters" leather IWB. Both fit pretty good, but the slide release does hit on the leather Masters holster. Just have not had time to "trim" it yet.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing your findings with the TaurusArmed.net family.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey good info as i have been looking for a holster too. I currently have two different holsters that seem to work as well, with some slight modification. I have a fobus hk holster in which i just heated the bottom of the barrel area and loosened it up as the g2 compact would catch on it. the other is an uncle mikes holster fit for g21 which i modified the screw adjustments to fit. They both work great and hold good retention. I am still looking for a paddle holster and looked at a sig m&p which looks like it would work with some mod also ill keep you posted on fitment.

Zylo_X: from reading/watching reviews on the g2 da/sa does reset every mag change. In order to keep the sa after a mag change the trigger needs to be pressed when the slide is released, bringing the pistol in sa for the first pull. This is the case in my g2 as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JD, Welcome! Good input and feed back. I have a Galco King Tuk, did you change (push in) the indent that snaps over the trigger guard???
Thanks,
Frosty
That is affirmative. Heat it up with the G2 holstered and when it softens up, push it in and hold until it hardens again. 2 minute retention adjustment.

If I figure out anything else to contribute ill post. I noticed that there aren't many people out there with the G2 yet so info is hard to come by.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about a locking holster like the BlackHawk Serpa.... Anyone know if the XD version will fit as well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to add if you are looking for a OWB holster the Blackhawk Serpa CQC for Springfield XD will work for the G2. Mine seats and works just fine with no alterations. There is some wiggle that you could probably do something with. I did not find the little bit of wiggle to be a problem so I didnt mess with mine. I have used it at the range drawing and shooting and reseating. I had no issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good stuff here....any suggestions for a guy that wears low-rise jeans and doesn't tuck in his shirt? My G2C sits nice behind my belt to the left of my *junk* without a holster....but forget about riding around in the truck like that. I really don't want to get a whole new wardrobe if I can help it....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to add if you are looking for a OWB holster the Blackhawk Serpa CQC for Springfield XD will work for the G2. Mine seats and works just fine with no alterations. There is some wiggle that you could probably do something with. I did not find the little bit of wiggle to be a problem so I didnt mess with mine. I have used it at the range drawing and shooting and reseating. I had no issues.
So I have the G2 Compact.... Do I need to get the Serpa holster that fints the XD or the one that fits the XD Subcompact?:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using a Desantis Mini-Slide (085) made for XD's to house my G2 Compact .40. Not a perfect fit, but certainly acceptable, imo. Taurus 24 7 G2 with holster.jpg

1 - 20 of 61 Posts